installation problem with new fascia adapter - Help please!

Started by Anonymous, August 3, 2006, 17:25

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to fit my new fascia plate for my stereo but it seems that the adapter is a little bit too wide to fit into the cars stereo housing. It also appears that the new fascia is too narrow and will leave a big gap between it and the drinks holder and then between the hvac controls.

I think its possible that my kit may have come with the wrong fascia, either that or I'm doing something wrong. Could anyone whos fitted one of these fascias please shed any light / tips?

In the meantime, I'll go take some photos...

Richie.

Anonymous

What's the make of the adaptor? What model number?

Anonymous

Its the one from Matts group buy, manufacturer is american international, model number is toy-k975.

says on the booklet its suitable for 2000-2005 mr2 spyder, amongst other toyotas.

I've checked all of the codes on the adapter and it is the correct adapter for the kit. I've also treble checked that I've used the correct brackets and have removed the parts for other cars, as instructed in the handbook.

does that shed any light?

Anonymous

Have you taken the original plastic outside edge piece off your old stereo? That fits over the new fasica as well to finish it off.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Have you taken the original plastic outside edge piece off your old stereo? That fits over the new fasica as well to finish it off.

Im not getting as far as that, the whole fascia adapter kit doesnt fit into the car, i haven't even attached my stereo to it yet.

[edit] misread your post, do you mean the surround off of the old sony stereo?]

Having read the post, it says that he was selling the autoleads kit, however it went out of stock so this appears to be a different kit from that and I'm wondering if anyone else might have installed it so far.

From looking at the post, i think ihatejam is the only other person so far to have bought the new type and perhaps he hasn't fitted his yet?

I'll go take photos just now.

Anonymous

It would appear we've mis-read each others posts'...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I did indeed mean the old surround off the stereo, but I didn't see that yours is too wide. Weird...

Anonymous

Right, I've just been out and taken a few pictures.  Click them to make them full res in a new window.

It seems that the mounting brackets for this fascia foul the two metal braces which you're supposed to mount it to. Its as if the brackets for this are too wide. I was very reluctant to push it in as I dont want to damage anything and it looked as though the plastic might snap. I managed to get it in with a bit of gentle persuasion and it looked like this though:

The faceplate part of the fascia seems too narrow to meet up with the side pillars and there are huge gaps between the drinks holder and the fascia, as well as between the hvac controls.

I have taken another photo to give a comparison between the size of the original sony faceplate and that of the new fascia adapter:

I really don't think this kit fits my car, it just doesn't seem right. Any suggestions welcome.

a few other photos:

Anonymous

Having ripped my hair out all afternoon / evening, it seems the fundamental problem i'm having is a gap all the way round the outside of the fascia. Having spent the past few hours searching the site, it seems that this is not uncommon in some instances.

looking at my picture here:

compared with the picture of Matt's installed one here:

it seems that my kit is missing an outer ring which would take the gaps away from the edges.

This kinda brings me back to what Ekona said earlier (when i misunderstood him   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and makes me think that the ring from the original stereo should be used - which is great if you're car is 2003+ with a fisher price stereo.

If however you have pre '03, then the original sony surround doesn't fit and this solution isn't suitable.

Prior to this, i did just use the sony surround with a halfords din tray (as many on here do) and there was no gaps etc but I wasn't happy because it didn't allow fitment of my head unit's surround and that made alignment of my stereos front panel very difficult.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to revert to this solution, unless I'm simply missing a part from my fascia kit or I can cheaply procure the required surround from toyota.

Could any Pre '03 owners who've used this fascia kit comment on how they got round the gap problem?

Thanks,

Richie.

GSB

The earlier version of the same kit has slightly different brackets and fits better, I'll try to explain....

The bottom mounting brackets have sides that extend backwards into the dash. These need to be trimmed slightly for a clean install, as there are slight bumps in the steel work that force the brackets inwards. Just take a couple of small cuts out of the brackets, and it'll fit.

That said, I just left them as thay are on the new install, and with some persuasion, the unit fits perfectly... The gaps are all then hidden by the fascia trim from your original stereo.

Oh, and the american automotive, IS the autoleads kit.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"The earlier version of the same kit has slightly different brackets and fits better, I'll try to explain....

The top mounting brackets have sides that extend backwards into the dash. These need to be trimmed slightly for a clean install, as there are slight bumps in the steel work that force the brackets inwards. Just take a couple of small cuts out of the brackets, and it'll fit.

That said, I just left them as thay are on the new install, and with some persuasion, the unit fits perfectly... The gaps are all then hidden by the fascia trim from your original stereo.

Oh, and the american automotive, IS the autoleads kit.

Thanks for clearing that up, things are starting to make a little more sense now.

As you say, it appears that bumps in the brackets are the cause of the tightness and gentles persuasion seems to alleviate this issue. I was just reluctant to do that at first in case i damaged the plastic / left white stress marks on it.

Continuing my trawling has revealed that Stu had the same problem when he installed the kit onto his car, see this post:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=fascia m

Grant, could you advise as to whether this final surround can be the very last thing fitted i.e. if i were to fit everything else at the moment and get the fisher price surround a few days later, would it just clip on top or would I have to undo everything again?

Also, do Toyota supply this fisher price surround and does anybody have a part number?

Alternatively, has anybody recently removed their fisher price stereo and fancy selling me their surround off of it?

Cheers,

Richie.

GSB

The surround is a toyota part, although I dont have the part number to hand. Its stamped on the inside of the surround if anyone has one to hand.

all you have to remove to fit the surround it the heater controls. (the 3 knobs and the slider pull off, remove the 2 crosshead screws, pull panel forward, clip on the radio surround, put it back together - 5 minutes including nose picking time.)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers guys for helping out explaining the situation. Yeap, it's the correct kit but you do need the outer trim ring from the 03 onwards factory head unit to finish it off. I had exactly the same problem with mine and it wasn't until I saw Stu's in the flesh that things became clear. Mr T can supply the final piece seperately and you're sorted. Part no is 55423-17040
I did try to talk to Mr T about getting a bulk purchase of the outer rings to finish the kit off for pre 03 people but they weren't being very helpful about it   s:( :( s:(  

Just to echo what Grant said, it is the same kit as the Autoleads one. For some reason when the new batch came through they were packaged with different labels!

Any further questions, give me a shout.

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all the help guys. I'll get that ordered from Mr.T this afternoon.

Richie.

Tags: