Aerial wiring ??

Started by Anonymous, August 21, 2006, 13:07

Anonymous

Hi All,

I have good news and i have some bad news, hoping we can fix the bad news to give us a whole lotta good news, lol

I have found a new aerial that fits the mr2 perfectly ok,,mounts the wing fine and fits in the wheel arch with no probs as well and the best bit is that it was only £25 brand new,,,,,

Bad news,, does the thing work on the MR2,, no course it dont.
I have got it working fine on my Astra so i know the unit works ok.

The new unit has a green, red and black wire, black goes to earth but no matter what order i put the red and green it still will not work,

I have chased the wiring back to the antenna relay underneath the storage bins and all sorts of funky stuff seems to be going on there.

Now my question is this,,

Anyone know were i need to wire the green and red wire,, lol.

I am not an electical person as you can tell so am hoping i can just re wire something to get the thing working,, but dont want to start changing things without knowing i am not going to mess anything up or kill myself.

many thanks all

Andy

roger

This is the spyderchat fiiting instructions for the short antenna. Might help

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4187133#4187133
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I would imagine that the red wire should go to a permanent +12V feed and as you have already done, the black wire should go to the 0v terminal.

The green wire on the other hand should be the signal wire, as fed from your stereos "aerial" wire. I imagine this must turn up around your old aerial somewhere and it should be just a case of connecting it up.

Hope this helps,

Richie.

EDIT: Its possible that the green wire could be your "Earth" and the black wire could be the "signal" wire. I would check the aerials instructions for clarification.

Anonymous

Black one is deff earth,

its the other 2 dudes that i'm not sure about,, tried every combo at the wiring plug under the wheel arch and nothing, so am thinking, sod it and re wire it up from scratch.

The little antenna mod doesn't really help as thats not an electric one,, so only needs the co ax cable,

Anonymous

Use a voltmeter / test lamp etc to check each of the pins at the wiring harness in the wing and see which wire is the permanant +12v and which wire is the aerial wire. That way, you won't have to worry about running new wires nor aorry about damaging anything

kanujunkie

Richies right on the wireing of the new aerial, it could be that the blacks the signal and the greens the earth, try looking on the side of it for some hints

heres the car side wireing BTW  LINK

you may need to bypass the antenna relay for that new aerial to work, pin 5 on the antenna relay would be the one to use
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: