door sound deadening

Started by Anonymous, November 30, 2006, 20:28

Anonymous

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded my head unit, speakers and added an amp, The sound at low volumes is superb, but when you turn it up the doors rattle like hell.

I fitted dynamat behind the speakers when installing, but I think it needs more. I've been reading that lots of people have used falshing tape all over the insides of the doors.

Could people enlughten me on what sizes of flashing tape/quantities that they used. I would be also be interested in hearing where they put it for best effect. I don't really want to waste time and money covering the door cards and the inside and outide of the door if this isn't going to help.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ianrawlins"Hi All,

I've recently upgraded my head unit, speakers and added an amp, The sound at low volumes is superb, but when you turn it up the doors rattle like hell.

I fitted dynamat behind the speakers when installing, but I think it needs more. I've been reading that lots of people have used falshing tape all over the insides of the doors.

Could people enlughten me on what sizes of flashing tape/quantities that they used. I would be also be interested in hearing where they put it for best effect. I don't really want to waste time and money covering the door cards and the inside and outide of the door if this isn't going to help.

Thanks in advance.

Ian.
I just bought the standard roll from Wicks. It's about 4 inches deep and I plastered the door card innards with it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

thanks heath, did you do any of the door itself or just the door card?

I think the door card is vibrating against the door too. I might try and use some foam backed tape to stop that.

enid_b

ian, personally i went mad with the stuff, i bought the roll so once i had done behind and around the speakers, i literally just covered the insides of the doors and any metallic space that was visible.  

not only has it made the audio sound better, but general road noise is significantly reduced.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ianrawlins"thanks heath, did you do any of the door itself or just the door card?

I think the door card is vibrating against the door too. I might try and use some foam backed tape to stop that.
The doors were done with Dynomat but you could use the Flashing Tape; no real difference IMHO  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

did you do both sides of the interior part of the door (not the card). Sorry for my rubish explanation.

enid_b

id best describe how i did it as

applied from the inside of the car out, so all the glue was pointing externally.  does this make sense

i didnt bother with the inside of the door card, as it was not metallic i felt that it would be naturally absorbent.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Leeber

When I took the door cards off to put the stock speakers back in my old car before trading it in, I found that water had been getting in  the door somehow. I can only assume that the amount of flashing tape I'd used on the inside of the door cards had prevented the window seal from working correctly. I'm a bit scared to do this again, I'm fairly cack-handed at the best of times.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

roger

Quote from: "enid_b"i didnt bother with the inside of the door card, as it was not metallic i felt that it would be naturally absorbent. E

I left the window plastic membrane in place, then did everything I could, including the door card. I think you need to do the card as well. Its not so much the absorbancy, as the (cessation of) vibration - which plastic is renowned for.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I just thought I'd post up my progress on sound deadening the doors. I've just done it and WOW what a difference! For the sum of 14 quid for 20 meters of 100mm flashing tape and a few hours of my time the sound quality has improved dramatically.

If anyones thinking of doing it, do it! It's well worth the small cost.

I ended up taking the plastic membrane off, covering all internal surfaces of the door, replacing the plastic membrane and then covering the door card.

thanks all for your help!

Chris

Quote from: "ianrawlins"I ended up taking the plastic membrane off, covering all internal surfaces of the door, replacing the plastic membrane and then covering the door card.

thanks all for your help!

Did you cut the uber sticking tar type glue that holds the plastic membrane off?  I tried simply pulling but it either just expands the glue or rips the plastic!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

The best way I found was to use your fingers to carefully prise the adhesive apart, it's a bit of a bugger, but it does come apart. I did tear the membrane in 1 place, but a small strip of gaffer tape along the tear and everything was ok.

Ernie Ball

Is there a particular brand of flashing tape I should be looking for?

I take it this can be bought at the local B&Q?

kanujunkie

its just called roof flashing tape and one side looks like shiney alluminium and the other has a bitumen rubber on it, its peel and stick generally as well
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Is there a particular brand of flashing tape I should be looking for?

I take it this can be bought at the local B&Q?
Got mine from Wickes  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

andywood

Got myself a load of flashing tape from Wickes today, ready to give the door cards a bit of a treatment.

The back of the flashing tape doesn't really seem to be very sticky when the backing is peeled off, do people just stick it with the stickiness available or have people used something in addition to ensure good adhesion?
I am not so worried about judging if it sticks or not, i am more concerned about the longevity of it and if anyone is aware of the marginal sitckiness of flashing tape causing it to fall off inside the door when the card is back on??

Cheers

Andy.
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Anonymous

Its is stickiest when warm so up to you how you go about warming it up,obviously don't use naked flames or anything hot enough to damage paint but a hair dryer would be a good option.

Tags: