Fitting New front speakers !!!!! All explained

Started by Anonymous, June 7, 2003, 11:36

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"I found some "coach bolts" in Homebase that were just the right size to go through the MDF spacer and into the stock plastic screw holes.  They have a spanner/socket type head and gave a really tight fit.

Does anyone have anything more specific on what size these need to be to save me making multiple trips to homebase?

Ta
J

zud

Quote from: "Jimbob"
Quote from: "zud"I found some "coach bolts" in Homebase that were just the right size to go through the MDF spacer and into the stock plastic screw holes.  They have a spanner/socket type head and gave a really tight fit.

Does anyone have anything more specific on what size these need to be to save me making multiple trips to homebase?

Ta
J

I think I've got a couple left in the garage (there's 4 in a packet)... I'll take a look for the exact name/size/number or whatever would identify them.  If I haven't posted in a couple of days, send me a PM to give me a kick up the @rse!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

zud

Quote from: "Jimbob"

Ta
J

The ones I used were Homebase Coach Screws - M6 x 40mm

They have a thread like a screw and a head like a bolt and come in packets of 4.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Just completed installing some Focals as recommended by Buster, the result is brilliant.
Some tips if you fancy being brave:
1. Getting the door panel off: The black bit around the lever is a nightmare unless you know what you are doing. Stick a screwdriver in the end near the lock button at the top.  You should see a tab horizontally right along the very end at the top.  Stick another screwdriver under this and it all comes off nicely.
2. Use MDF mounting thingies.  I tried gutting the original speaker and failed   s:x :x s:x  the door panel wouldn't go on cos the speaker stuck out too much. Made some MDF thingies as per Busters decription, easy peazy as long as you have got a jigsaw   s:) :) s:)  This may only be an '03 problem or it might be me being a muppet.
3. The screws I used to fix the MDF to the door were No. 12 1.75" and they work lovely.
4. Dynamat is ace but it's sticky as hell. Which is good I suppose.  I probably haven't put enough on but one "wedge" pack seemed enough.
5. Don't put the crossover were it is on Busters picture cos the foam in the door goes there and the panel dosn't go back on.

Think that's all for now except to thank Buster and Slacey for their e-Assistance.

Lovely.  Off for a cruise now...

J

ps Do it, you know you want to   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

arh you can mount the crossovers there just remove the foam   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

it's only to make the door sound tighter   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

This might be a stupid question, but when you remove the door panel, what cables are there for the stock speakers? i.e. can i just splice the wire thats already there and connect it to the crossover that comes with the focals?

markiii

yes but it's naff cable
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I have got myself a set of focal access 165a as recommended by Buster.  I have used Buster's guide to try and install them but I have had a major headache today.  When trying to put the speaker cable through the gromet of the door and into the car it seems to get stuck and will not go any further.  I have used the coat hanger and WD40 technique but it seems to get stuck at the other end.  

Could anyone please explain what I am doing wrong.  Will I have to remove the underside of the dash to get the cable through?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Also, should the speaker cable plug straight into the head unit (stock at the mo) or does it go somewhere else first?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  (Am half tempted to use the existing cabling!!)

Thanks in advance!

GSB

The way I did it:

Pull the grommet out of the wing just inside the door shut, then thread the speaker wire through the grommet from inside the door. Once its through the grommet, you can push it downwards through the hole in the wing and feel for it through the hole in the footwell. Once its through, you can pull all the cable through to length, and push the grommet back into the wing.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers GSB, I'll try that next weekend.

Where should the other end go?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I'm assuming the headunit, yeah?

GSB

Well, I was assuming that the reason you were running new speaker cables was because you were adding an amp too. If you're just going to run the Focals from your Head Unit, then I would say it wasnt really worth the bother. You'll be hard pushed to hear the difference...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

The plan is to change the headunit too (Alpine CDA31 or CDA33) and possibly add an amp that time.  With the run up to Christmas money's a bit short at the mo!    s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Hi Guys

First post. Just bought 2001 Roadster and will be upgrading speakers.

Will want to run active so I have active crossover and all the bits. The focals get a good name, but would others be possible. I would imagine that the 6.5" speaker is the easy bit as all are roughly the same, but presumably you have to find a nice round tweeter.

Was thinking about these...take particular attention to the tweeter

m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product ... 94d75d6f9c m

Anonymous

Hi there!

Just bought an '01, and i can't believe how bad the stock speakers are!! all the help on this site is absolutely fantastic, thankyou!

Buster - I noticed that you offered to make up the spacers and post em out if anyone needed some... any chance you could let me know how much you'd want? I'm absolutely terrible at anything DIY orientated and am gonna have enough trouble just fitting the things!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

again, thanks for all the help and stuff!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "jamesr1"Buster - I noticed that you offered to make up the spacers and post em out if anyone needed some... any chance you could let me know how much you'd want? I'm absolutely terrible at anything DIY orientated and am gonna have enough trouble just fitting the things!!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

again, thanks for all the help and stuff!
Buster isn't around much nowadays so you won't have much luck going down this avenue. You can buy spacers from any decent car entertainment shop  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

thats a good guide for a smiple upgrade  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I ordered up a set of alpine sps171A component speakers and fitted them the other day -

The problem is they sound cack - like way worse than the originals!

the specs are as follows:

250 WATT PEAK POWER
50 WATT RMS POWER
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35HZ - 30 KHZ
SENSITIVITY: 90DB/W/M

so effectively they should be a million times better than the stock!

I've therefore concluded that i must have done something wrong!

All speakers are in phase and polarity is correct. Ive kept the stock wiring and have fitted the crossovers that came with the kit.

Can anybody think of anything obvious i might have done wrong?

(Ebay link:  m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5846796527 m )

Cheers,

Richie.

Anonymous

I would like to offer a bit of advice, and a small alternative if I might.

When making the MDF baffle for mounting the new speakers, soaking the MDF in resin made for fiberglass work (polyester base - find it at any marine shop) helps avoid the tendency of MDF to soak up humidity and turn into a sponge like material.  It happened in my previous car (Subaru SVX) in about 18 months (I live in Florida - think quite rainy at times - and more than a bit humid).

The alternative (which I use) is to find a bit of scrap Corian from a kitchen countertop company.  It cuts like hard maple (which means wood working tools are just fine), and has even better resonance qualities than MDF - only two things better (IMO) which are granite & concrete - not the easiest to use for a speaker baffle.  I got my scrap for free - from the bin after the shop closed for the day - on the advice of a worker there - they can't sell directly to consumers in the US - supplier/company rules/contract or some such.

Anonymous

Or the approach I took, which was to cut the centre out of the existing speaker and mount the new speaker on the remaining plastic outer.

Anonymous

Yeah, this link is really good. I just got a MK3 '01 Roadster and I was very disapointed with the overallsound of the speakers.

I was looking at replacing the speakers but just wondered if it was worth replacing the head unit itself, it is the Sony CD/Tape Xplod with the 3 levels of bass that you have a knob to turn. I presume this was the standard with the motor.

Just looking at the Alpine SPX-177R and thought they looked pretty good but is their anyway of adding an amp unit without making a mess of the dashboard or storing it anywhere else, or will their be enough space when the head unit is fully installed. And if so what would be a good Amp to hook up???

Thanks for your help in advance!   s:) :) s:)

enid_b

nice one buster,  followed ur instructions.

they sound the business.

even got a cheap big roll of dynamt from halfrauds for 20 quid

good guide for anyone considering this mod
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Does anyone know what the maximum speaker depth you can fit in the front doors is? In other words, the distance between the window (when it's down) and the door card?

Cheers.

philster_d

would these fit do you guys think ?

Infinity: Reference 9613i - 6"x9" speakers

They are 6" high but a bit wider ? anyone who has changed speakers dod there look to be room ?

m http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /1199.html m

Thanks,
Phil

markiii

6 x 9 won't fit in teh doors
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Yeah i also realised they werent component. Thanks.

Since then I have individualy sourced the parts of the deal I saw cheaper anyway.

These are best I have found so far on the component front. I presume they will fit.

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1 m
Infinity 16.5cm (6.5") KAPPA 65.7cs component speakers.

I think I just about got my head around things, Ill get a 4 channel amp and a sub and should be good to go.

Thanks everyone,
Phil

Tags: