Installing Dynamat question

Started by Anonymous, January 24, 2007, 12:29

Anonymous

Im going to try and install some dynamat into my car this weekend to sound proof the doors.  I already have some behind the speakers but I want to cover the rest to improve the overall sound.  

I have spent a few hours reading through the various opinions and guides on here.   But I just can't get my head around which bit I am meant to cover with the stuff.  

I read one guide which talks about replacing the plastic sheet with dynamat material (see image below). And other people talking about covering the inside of the plastic door skin with the stuff or the metal bit of the door behind the plastic sheet?.

Can someone give me an idea of exactly where I should put the stuff?.

Should I do it like this?

Slacey

When I did mine I found lining the metal door skin itself made the biggest difference, I didn't bother replacing the plastic sheet with the stuff as in your picture but did end up putting some more on the inside of the door card.
Worth doing IMO.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

QuoteWhen I did mine I found lining the metal door skin itself made the biggest difference

Do you mean a bit like the photograph in busters article (see below)?.  Its difficult to see but im guessing you just have to squeeze all the dynamat through that hole and cover as much of the metal door skin as you can with the stuff?.  Is that right?.

Quotedid end up putting some more on the inside of the door card

Like this?.

Sorry for all the questions.  Im just trying to get this nailed in my head so that I know how to approach it when I get the door panels off on the weekend.

[/img]

Chris

looks good. i've thought about doing this in the past and was only gonna do the rear of the door panel like the lasst pic, but liking the look of the first pic - trying to door the inner door skin looks like to much hard work to me!

anyone know what the plastic sheet is supposed to be for?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Slacey

Yep, just like those pictures. Access to the door skin is pretty good through the speaker hole and other apertures.

The plastic sheet is to prevent moisture getting into the car.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Is this stuff that good? is it for speaker upgrades or would I notice a difference with the stock speakers and stereo?

I think at present the sound is pretty poor on the stock IMHO.

Buying the stuff out a shop how much would it cost to do both doors???

Anonymous

I bought some dynamat for about £5 for the speakers hole (around the rim).  And i just ordered some r-blox from Matt (which ive read should do the job) at  w www.autoaudioaccessories.co.uk w  for £17.99 which should hopefully do the doors.  

Im planning to do the inside of the door skin now and if it still sounds cack then do the inside of the door panels (the plastic bit).  Will let you know how it goes!.

There are a variety of ways to do it, depending on how much you want to spend.  I think it can be quite expensive to do everything in Dynamat.  Which is why i bought the dynamat for the speaker bit and try to cut the costs down elsewhere.  I may buy some roof flashing tape for the plastic bit of the door if it needs it.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "mokeyb"I bought some dynamat for about £5 for the speakers hole (around the rim).  And i just ordered some r-blox from Matt (which ive read should do the job) at  w www.autoaudioaccessories.co.uk w  for £17.99 which should hopefully do the doors.  

I'm planning to do the inside of the door skin now and if it still sounds cack then do the inside of the door panels (the plastic bit).  Will let you know how it goes!.

There are a variety of ways to do it, depending on how much you want to spend.  I think it can be quite expensive to do everything in Dynamat.  Which is why i bought the dynamat for the speaker bit and try to cut the costs down elsewhere.  I may buy some roof flashing tape for the plastic bit of the door if it needs it.
Exactly how I did it. Dynomat on the door skins and flashing tape inside the plastic cards  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

I did it around the speaker and the back of the door cards. Covered the blighters so probably added about 15Kg to the weight of the car (Note to self: Go on a diet   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ).

IMO the more you do, wherever you do it, the better it gets.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

tom_deas

hope you dont mind, just bumping this because looking for some pics RE dynamat / flashing installation
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

Tags: