Face plate Adapter

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2003, 10:42

Anonymous

I am about to buy a new H/U, do Autoleads make a facia adaptor for my car - if not who does?

Cheers.

James.

Anonymous

Yep.  Have just done it myself with some assistance from Buster.  Checkout  w www.incardiscount.co.uk w  - they have the chap and they're much cheaper than Halfords who have to order it in anyway (tell them it's a RAV4 one - they're the same)

J

Anonymous

Rav 4 2000 + tho   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   double DIN   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

JimBob - do you think it is a bad fit ?  I just fitted one this weekend and i dont like the way it has the gap above and below the facia adapter.  It also looks a bit untidy on the sides with the 3 pegs on each side.
Maybe i have bodged it or something   s:) :) s:)  but it doesnt look as good as i thought it would..
What do you think ?
Thanks
Léon

Anonymous

If you've got an 03, you need to take the surround off the stock radio and stick it round the adaptor.  It's looks ok then  I think - but I'm no perfectionist, was just glad to get rid of stock radio!

J

Anonymous

i have a 00 and i tried that but it doesnt fit.
Did yours just clip on?

Anonymous

Kinda, it needed a bit of gentle persuasion but looks fine now.
It's not quite as neat as having the stock headunit but not far off.
If I remember I'll post a piccy so you can compare and contrast.

J

Anonymous

I have posted a picture below of what mine currently fits like..

Is this the same as yours before you fit the cover off the double din stereo ?

Thanks

Léon

Anonymous

Yep thats the Autoleads Rav 4 2000+ adapotor, they do the same front pannel for the rav 4, supra and mr2. Just different mounting brackets but you get everything in the kit

Anonymous

are you meant to remove the 3 pegs that stick out on each side ?

Anonymous

i havent but the facial surround on the old stero can fit round this

Anonymous

I tried that but it doesnt fit, it is too small to fit around the new fascia.
It is a 2000 model of the MR2 so not sure if that makes a difference?

Anonymous

did you have the stock sony unit in the car already?

I have put the stock surrounding around the adapotor plate before but have left it out on mine as i didnt like the look of it so i made my own out of MDF It looks ok now butr thats as it acts as a spaceing bracket now

Anonymous

It had a Sony WX-C570 fitted, is that the same as yours ?  I unsrewed the 4 small black screws holding the original surround for the WX-C570 from the metal side brackets but it doesnt fit around the new fascial at all - i could somehow stick it on but it sits too far forward from the rest of the dash   s:) :) s:)  
I will just leave it as is - it isnt that bad - just not as tidy as i thought it would be.

I found this on another site where some parts are used from the celica to make a single din fascia.   m http://www.imoc.co.uk/technical/howto/mk3stereo.htm m   looks quit a bit better but could be a bit of a nightmare to fit   s:) :) s:)   plus ive already spent £20 on this one anyway....

thanks

léon

markiii

the 2000 onwards sony surround is custom to the sony unit, it won't fit your adaptor.

you need 55423 - 17040 : Surrounding trim it should costs you approx £7 and looks the same as that on the 2003 stereo. unfortunately on the 2003 it is a permanent part of the stereo.

Mark.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"unfortunately on the 2003 it is a permanent part of the stereo.

That's what I thought, but it does/did come off.

J

Anonymous

I just fitted my Alpine H/U into the entire metal bracket and plastic facia ring that come out with the old Sony H/U. Don't unscrew the ring from the brackets - use the whole thing as-is, and just mount your new H/U into it using the DIN-standard holes it already has. There's nothing "special" about it to suit the Sony.

It looks just like an OEM fit - perfect fit, no gaps, etc. I filled the 1-DIN hole with a single DIN pocket from Halfords, to store change/etc.

[Edited] Like this;

[edit: URLs updated]

Anonymous

Phil i was just about to cry   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

I saw the pics and went hmmm i havnt tryed that i will give it a go, So i took teh h/u out teh car and had a play found that for sum strange reson the facia plate wont go over the adapotor i have ( i have adapted it to get screen out tho) I put teh h/u back scrwed everything up and just went to test it to make sure everything was ok and all i got was SUB !   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Oh NO i was gona kill somone as i just finished the audio part of the install today and all that was left was mounting screens and DVD and then i F*ck it up big stile   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

But have no fear Buster is here and it all is ok now RCA leads got caugth behind h/u on teh metal computer thingy and was shorting out phew another close shave   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

filcee

Phil's install looks waaaay cooool.  Wish I had thought of that   s:( :( s:(  .  Anyone tried this with the 03 model H/U (for when I get my new car?)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

I have now taken out the first autloleads facia and reverted back to the original bracket and fitted my single DIN sony using the same screws that held the double DIN in place.
The install looks much better, just as above.  
I bought an autoleads single DIN Pocket from Halfords to fit the gap and it looks much better than the first install!  (Thanks Phil!)

I have my old Autoleads facia on eBay if anyone is interested  :-) :-) :-)

DaSpyda

Quote from: "pmdye"I just fitted my Alpine H/U into the entire metal bracket and plastic facia ring that come out with the old Sony H/U. Don't unscrew the ring from the brackets - use the whole thing as-is, and just mount your new H/U into it using the DIN-standard holes it already has. There's nothing "special" about it to suit the Sony.

It looks just like an OEM fit - perfect fit, no gaps, etc. I filled the 1-DIN hole with a single DIN pocket from Halfords, to store change/etc.

[Edited] Like this;

[edit: URLs updated]

So, this is the standard OEM fascia?

Is this available from anyone here who has switched?

DAZ400

Yep I have just done mine fitted single DIN Sony unit and have just done the same as Phil used the origional surround and bought a single DIN tray just the same only thing I had to do was drill a couple of holes in the metal brackets to firmly support the single DIN tray. I went down the the road of ordering the RAV stuff but only was a half DIN useless tray and would have left a gap so Mr Halfords got it back...... my install now looks as neat as Phils......  s8) 8) s8)
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Anonymous

hey pmdye exactlye the same HU as mine .. how easy is it too do the 6x9s trick in the cubby and hook them in with this HU, as I no longer have the instructions that came with the HU!!¬!!  Thank u!

Anonymous

Quote from: "DaSpyda"So, this is the standard OEM fascia?

Only on the pre-facelift/MY03, and then only on UK-sourced models (fitted with a Sony double-DIN headunit at port). So, I guess it has a Toyota part number, but AFAIK was only used in the UK, so it could be a bitch to find now.

QuoteIs this available from anyone here who has switched?

Several have changed their headunit and gone for the Autoleads fascia, so in theory, there are a few of these lying around somewhere...

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"only thing I had to do was drill a couple of holes in the metal brackets to firmly support the single DIN tray.

Hot glue gun   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: