Origin B2 Detector

Started by Anonymous, December 1, 2003, 00:48

Anonymous

Hi all - just quick question : Has anyone on here got or had experience with an Origin B2 Laser/Camera detector?

Got mine (It's fantastic by the way!!) but I keep getting false alerts every time I flash my headlights or wash my windscreen (pulling back to activate main beam or window washers)...

Seeing as this unit is not hard-wired to the car, the only electrical connection being the cigarette power outlet, Im confused as to why Im getting them!.

Ive emailed Origin but as yet no reply, just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?.

---------------------------------
If anyone was wondering, this Detector is the best by far - beats the Road Angel hands down (due to extensive testing between myself and friend).

Any questions about its functionality or perfomance I'd be happy to let you know!...

Anonymous

Been using mine and before the Bluei for around a year now. No problems at all, no false alerts either.

Only problem with the B2 is that is 4mph slower than your speedo.  They reckon its more acurate than the Bluei

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"Only problem with the B2 is that is 4mph slower than your speedo.  They reckon its more acurate than the Bluei

Yes, but a GPS based speed device is more accurate than your speedometer   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Only problem with the B2 is that is 4mph slower than your speedo.  They reckon its more acurate than the Bluei

My GPS shows a constant 5mph less than the speedo.

I think it's a europe-wide conspiracy to slow us all down and get away with dodgy road repairs.

Anonymous

Yes - I must admit that the B2 Speedo doesnt match up with the MR2 dial, I also think that is sometimes takes longer than 1sec to catch up after acellerating or slowing down.

As it long as it tells me where the cameras are - I think I'll still be looking at my Mr2 speedo for my speed - just incase the B2 hasnt caught up!

Anonymous

Quote from: "silvermr2"Yes - I must admit that the B2 Speedo doesnt match up with the MR2 dial, I also think that is sometimes takes longer than 1sec to catch up after acellerating or slowing down.

I don't know about the specifics of the Origin system, but it's quite probable that being GPS based, it only updates speed every 1sec (or more). Bear in mind that GPS systems can only calculate speed by measuring absolute position every <n> seconds, and deriving speed from that mathmatically. For instance, handheld Garmin GPS receivers only do so every 1 or 5 seconds (in "battery saver" mode).

As such, they're only telling you your average speed over that period; if you accelerated or slowed significantly during that period, the indicated speed will be wrong. Likewise changing direction suddenly will throw out speed calculations for the same reason; the GPSr assumes you've travelled in a straight line between the last two position reports, so if the time between those two positions is sufficiently long, the distance travelled (and hence speed) will be wrong.

Of course, this process normally works to a GPSr's advantage; since any single position fix can be out by a few meters (or more), the averaging works to cancel these errors out, leading to highly accurate figures if moving at a constant speed in a straight line.

All that said, I'd still trust a GPS to give me a more accurate speed than the onboard electro-mechanical speedo. The latter is allowed to overread by upto 10%, and mine (almost) does.

Anonymous

I think that is wise, I always use the speedo to judge.  That way at least you know for sure that you are doing the limit or just under for the cameras (not that you would be doing over - check the avanta).

GSB

I looked at this a few years ago when building a kit car, and IIRC the speedo must NOT under-read under any circumstances, but is allowed to over-read by up to 10%, so thats the margin manufacturers aim for when building your car.

Hence you speedo will always be a little over...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

But none of us here ever speed do we?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

Quote from: "silvermr2"But none of us here ever speed do we?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Of course not! None of us would dare!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

When manufacturers produce the vehicle they are allowed -zero  +0/5 mph tolerance on speedo readings. They would not get EE conformity were they to break the zero tolerance. So i guess it is a European conspiracy.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Also if you change the size of your wheel you alter the validity of your speedo, add to that if you drive at high speed and then check again its further out. something to do with what racing techs did years ago to calibrate the speed of the race cars before Motec etc.

Anonymous

An oem speedo will over read by aprox 5% as a general rule. If you compare the speed registered by a GPS system such as sat nav with the speed shown on an Apexi RSM which is connected directly to the speed pulse wire from the ECU they will usually be almost the same.

The OEM speedo does get its input from the speed pulse wire in a similar manner but of course it is then displayed via a needle under the tension of a spring.  The mechanics of this cause the oem speedo to be less accurate the faster you go, consequently 7% out is usual around the top end.

6 of us from the UK Celica Club went on a road trip around Europe in May and checked our speedo readings agianst each other and our GPS/RSM readings, we all recorded the same deviance from oem speeds at top wack. (145mph by GPS/Sat Nav)

On the OB2 there have been a bad batch of these recently, the Celica Club had a group buy on these a few months back and some of the guys have been having problems locking onto satelites etc.  But to give the supplier credit they have replaced cradles etc in an attempt to rectify this.

cheers

Anonymous

Sounds about right.

Both the 2 and the focus appear to be exactly 4mph out.  Does that mean all us lot with GPS or B2 can drive an extra 4mph over the limit then?

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"Sounds about right.

Both the 2 and the focus appear to be exactly 4mph out.  Does that mean all us lot with GPS or B2 can drive an extra 4mph over the limit then?

Don't think I'd want to risk it....

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Does that mean all us lot with GPS or B2 can drive an extra 4mph over the limit then?

I do that... just not past a speed camera.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "cstevens"Sounds about right.

Don't think I'd want to risk it....

Er... That's what I do...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

75mph on the GPS, 80mph on the speedo, and I'm pretty certain I'd still be within the 10% + 2 for SPECS (that is what they set SPECS at, right?)..

Mind you, for fixed speed cameras (GATSO/Truvelo) I usually drop down to 70mph on the speedo, just in case..

Which reminds me to put my detector in the 2, as it's not doing much good in the shed!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Weird huh?

I had a Bluei and it seemed to pretty well match the speedo.

However, my B2 is around 4 to 5 mph out at normal speeds and up to 8 mph out at high speeds (constant speed on motorways - high speeds on foreign motorways)

I did ask Origin about the inconsistencies between models and they told me that it was down to the B2 being much more accurate.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"I did ask Origin about the inconsistencies between models and they told me that it was down to the B2 being much more accurate.

Same response here when I asked them.  Apparently it is, and not just BS!.

Has anyone wired up the laser yet?  I havent bothered yet

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"
Quote from: "Jonny Turbo"I did ask Origin about the inconsistencies between models and they told me that it was down to the B2 being much more accurate.

Same response here when I asked them.  Apparently it is, and not just BS!.

Has anyone wired up the laser yet?  I havent bothered yet

Yeh (which what my posting was originally about!)  My washers and headlight flash sets it off!!!. - Weird!.

Not been past any plod to know if it truly works though - Ive only had it about 1 week.

Anonymous

I will install it in the focus first.  Apparently it is quite sensitive when installed in a softtop.  Where did you mount it, have you tried to put it in a different position?

Anonymous

Ive installed right above the rear view mirror as suggested, wire runs along and right of the windscreen and wires are tucked down in the recess behind a panel in the drivers footwell.

B2 Unit is installed on the flat dash section to the right of the dash dials, right.

Ive not moved the sensor at all, but might try a different location (theres not many left!) - My electric mirror adjustment set it off this evening!!.

aaronjb

Quote from: "silvermr2"If anyone was wondering, this Detector is the best by far - beats the Road Angel hands down (due to extensive testing between myself and friend).

Any questions about its functionality or perfomance I'd be happy to let you know!...

Well, since you said...  s;) ;) s;)

Do you know if it signals the Specs cameras as well as Gatso/Truvelo?

Other than that - any thoughts on the best place to get one from?

Ta,
Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

SPECS are fixed, so they are available on the GPS database.

It warns you of the first and then subsiquent SPECS cameras, then gives you the all clear.

It also warns you of timed speed limits (such as outside schools) as well as conjestion charge zones!

Anonymous

I am not so sure the laser warner is of much benefit as if you are over the limit as it goes off, they have more or less got you.

You would really need to go the jamming/shifter/diffuser route if you want to defeat a laser which I have been sucking my teeth over   s:? :? s:?  due to cost/installation/legality.

EDIT****
My Bluei (when it has caught up) consistantly reads 2mph below my speedo.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Lusaka"You would really need to go the jamming/shifter/diffuser route if you want to defeat a laser which I have been sucking my teeth over   s:? :? s:?  due to cost/installation/legality.

I had one on my 300 (and it's now living in the shed, along with a lot of bits of 300ZX!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).. I can't really vouch for how well it worked though - I never went past a speed trap in all the time I had it.. Or if I did - it never went off..

I will say, though, that installation would be a piece of cake - all it needed was three wires.. Permenant earth, switched positive feed, and signal wire back to the buzzer, all the electronics were housed in the two dooberrys that went either side of the numberplate..

Tags: