Origin B2 Detector

Started by Anonymous, December 1, 2003, 00:48

Anonymous

The B2 covers all cameras, GATSO, SPECS, TRUVELO etc - and is directional so it wont go off if your travelling in the opposite direction.

I got mine from radargirl.com (cheapest at time £349).

There is loads of info on the net about it - just use Google to get the info!.

The best thing it has over the Road Angel is that it knows the camera speed limit and advises you of the speed you should be doing - ideal when in an unknown area with little or no speed signs.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Lusaka"I am not so sure the laser warner is of much benefit as if you are over the limit as it goes off, they have more or less got you.

This is common myth that the Police love.

To visualise it a bit clearer, think of it as if the laser light were a piece of string.

It has a start and it has an end.

But how long's a piece of string? I hear you ask!!!

Well, the police are not going to use a high powered laser (as these can be harmfull), which would mean the string was more of less infinate. They will use a lower powered (Class 3 IIRC - one you can safely shine in the eye for short periods), the same as in barcode readers and laser pointers. These lasers have an effective range of 1 mile.

So the string is one mile long. It must leave the emmitter and return to the receiver after bouncing off a car. For that to work your car must be within 1/2mile of the laser gun - the halfway point.

That's why Police with laser guns will try to sit within 1/2 mile of a bend.

But the advantage is that you can pick them up at the full range of the light and this will always be double the distance the Police can read your speed.

And as for the argument that laser light does not scatter this is myth as well. The only time there is no scatter, or minimal scatter, is with industrial lasers in controlled rooms. The air is fill of dust and water droplets, all of which reflect and refract the laser light, even by a tiny amount. Then you have the roadfilm on peoples windscreens which will add to the effect.

But the police say that they are accurate and don't get near the windscreen. Of course they do, imagine the outcry if people started thinking that the laser gun was pointing at their eyes, even if it is for a fraction of a second. The fact is these lasers are safe, if not most people who work at supermarkets would be blind by now. Added to that if the police could hit your numberplate, each and every time, without missing and at 1/2 a mile away, they wouldn't be traffic cops, they would be among the best police marksmen!!!!

I've been behind a car that was targeted by laser. There was no way that they could have had a direct shot at my car. Yet my detector went wild. The only way this could have happened is if scattering took place.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Lusaka"You would really need to go the jamming/shifter/diffuser route if you want to defeat a laser which I have been sucking my teeth over   s:? :? s:?  due to cost/installation/legality.

Legally wise this is a bit of a toughy.

Laser jammers effectively work by producing laser light and shining it at the gun. This cancells out the laser from the gun (wavelength, frequency etc). As of yet there is no legal requirement for a license to produce light (otherwise Christmas would be a bit of a bummer with the number of lights I use).

It's the same with detectors. There is no need for a license to receive radio waves, only to send them.

And as for GPS signals!!!

So equiptment wise you are pretty much covered (unless you have a radar jammer).

All you could be prosecuted for is knowingly and willingly perverting the course of justice.

Anonymous

Thanks about that detailed infor on the laser Peter!.  I will certainly be fitting my B2 laser this weekend then.  I really thought up till then it was pointless because of :-

A) it would have to be situated wherever the police target
B) if they lasered you it was too late anyway.

Cool!.  Will stick mine near the rear view mirror also.  Wont bother trying to wire it near the number plate.!

Peter Laborne

I will just add a few scenarios, just in case:
Scenario 1) You are driving along and get targetted by laser and end up getting stopped for speeding. IIRC they can only do you for speeding and not for perverting the course of justice. Why? Beacuse they have actually stopped you for speeding and you have not avoided the course of justice, whether your detector is on or off.

Scenario 2) You are driving along and get tragetted by laser. Your detector goes off and/or the jammer and you slow up. PC plod decides to pull you over as they strongly believe you are speeding. He looks in and sees the detector switched on. Now IIRC you can be done for perverting the course of justice and not for speeding.

Scenario 3) You are driving along and get tragetted by laser. Your detector goes off and/or the jammer and you slow up. Before you come to a stop you sneakily unplug and/or remove the detector and/or jammer. PC plod decides to pull you over as they strongly believe you are speeding. He looks in and sees the either no detector or the detector switched off. This is where it can be complicated as they must now prove "beyond any reasonable doubt" that you were perverting the course of justice and didn't just slow up when you saw the cops. This is difficult for them as they need to prove that the detector was turned on.

Anonymous

Peter - surely this would only be the case in the event of a jammer?

Using the laser detector on the B2 is legal I thought?.

Anonymous

detectors are legal, although they dont like them (guess why??? less money for them!) but jammers are a big no no!

Anonymous

I'm with Kris on this.

Fifth Gear did a thing recenlty on detectors and jammers, they had either a serving copper, or an ex one on.

As Kris says, detectors are legal, they simply present the driver with information.  They can in no way be considered to be perverting the course of justice or anything similar.  

Jammers however, are illegal.

Which is what Kris said (sorry for repeating you mate).

Anonymous

Cool - back on with the plan to setup my laser "detector" on the B2 then.

Cheers boyz

aaronjb

Quote from: "phil4"Jammers however, are illegal.

Entirely true of course.. but then.. so is speeding...  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Entirely true of course.. but then.. so is speeding...  s;) ;) s;)

Touché   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Yes, and its so much easier to catch speeding motorists than all those drug dealers, robbers, rapists, murderers, etc etc.  Plus when they do bother to catch "serious criminals" then they dont make any money, so thats probably why they dont bother.

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"Yes, and its so much easier to catch speeding motorists than all those drug dealers, robbers, rapists, murderers, etc etc.  Plus when they do bother to catch "serious criminals" then they dont make any money, so thats probably why they dont bother.
Ooh, you cynical so-and-so!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "cstevens"

Yes, and its so much easier to catch speeding motorists than all those drug dealers, robbers, rapists, murderers, etc etc.  Plus when they do bother to catch "serious criminals" then they dont make any money, so thats probably why they dont bother.

Indeed.. the only reason they 'caught' the guy that broke into my house was because he 'asked for it to be taken into consideration during the proceedings of another case'.

And they never caught the people who broke into my 300ZX.. Or the people who broke into my Renault 19 16v   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

"You live in Slough, what do you expect?" were the words of one copper..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Too bloody true; did you see the facts on Top Gear the other week about the worst blackspots in Britain have no cameras even on them, and the areas that cameras being used have not decreased deaths etc. So their point was that they are being used inappropriately to raise money and not for the intended saftey reasons  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"http://www.abd.org.uk

Going wildly off-topic now (mods: feel free to split this!), but has the club considered affiliate membership of the ABD? For £75/year the club can support this (IMHO) worthy cause, and club members can personally join the ABD at a preferential rate?

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"

Going wildly off-topic now (mods: feel free to split this!), but has the club considered affiliate membership of the ABD? For £75/year the club can support this (IMHO) worthy cause, and club members can personally join the ABD at a preferential rate?

Following the  detour.  I think this sounds like a good idea.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"

I joined last year, very informative

Anonymous

QuoteBut the advantage is that you can pick them up at the full range of the light and this will always be double the distance the Police can read your speed.

I am afraid I disagree with Peter due to a different understanding on the tactical use of the laser gun, in that the laser is not being continously fired down the road but fired in a short burst by the user. It is precisely because they are waiting till you come closer e.g. 1/2 mile and then zap you, typically using a scope on the gun (if it is van unit) for an accurate shot, that you will get little opportunity for your detector to protect you.

Sparkle/scatter is a different matter and is probably your best chance of your detector protecting you - hence always be the 2nd fastest thing on the road   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

PS Sorry I have no idea why your B2 is being set off.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Scenario 3) You are driving along and get tragetted by laser. Your detector goes off and/or the jammer and you slow up. Before you come to a stop you sneakily unplug and/or remove the detector and/or jammer. PC plod decides to pull you over as they strongly believe you are speeding. He looks in and sees the either no detector or the detector switched off. This is where it can be complicated as they must now prove "beyond any reasonable doubt" that you were perverting the course of justice and didn't just slow up when you saw the cops. This is difficult for them as they need to prove that the detector was turned on.

This is way its now illegal in most of europe to have such a dfevice in your car. Out here you can get your car impoundec by having a detector.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"

I joined last year, very informative

Bump.

Tags: