Fitting new front speakers in existing speakers frames

Started by Anonymous, March 12, 2008, 05:33

Anonymous

Having just purchased a mint 53 reg MR2 I was flabbergasted at the cheap quality of the door speakers! Having read all the info available on various sites, I decided to modify the old speakers, it was really simple and very effective!  Simply cut out the old speakers carefully but keep outer mount in one piece! find a good quality 16cm speaker ( complete with additional tweeter) , Infinity are ok, unless you want to go really daft! place into old speaker mount and screw in with large self tapping screws.  Cut off old wire connectors, replace with new spade connectors and attach! simple as that and it sounds great, can hear it hood down at all speeds! cost me £45 all in!  Try it, it's the best £45 I've ever spent!

Jigwar

Glad you made an easy and very worthwhile mod and are enjoying the benefits.

Did you put any sound deadening in? Also did you think about building an MDF spacer? And what about replacing the wiring?

Also, any pictures? There is a Sticky thread documenting upgrading the front speakers, but the pictures have been lost; would be useful to get some more.

I got these through the door this morning:

Will try to get some pictures too.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Wabbitkilla

You can't leave us hangning like that.

Which infinity speakers?
Pictures?
Where from?

Come on, your not being exactly helpful  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

At the moment I'm in the middle of the North Sea wher I work, so I have no pictures and don't have the full spec of the speakers to hand! I just wanted to share my easy modification with all as there seems to have been many people making this simple task very complicated!  I bought the speakers from Halfords, reduced from £79.95 to £39.95, I think the model no' was 5021I?? (45 watts RMS, 135 watts peak, see Infinity site!)  But I will confirm later as stated below.

I didn't put in any sound deadening, and didn't require any MDF modifications! I used the existing wiring and have no problems at all.  For me the speakers work perfect and are a good sound as they are, sure it doesn't sound like a BOSE system! but all I wanted was to be able to hear my music without the speakers vibrating and without spending a fortune on a vehicle which is parked up for 14 days at a time whilst I'm away offshore.

Seeing as though I have got a response from my first post to the site, I shall, when I return home (24th March!) give full details, and will gladly assist anybody who requires it over the phone if neccessary, even you Wabbitkilla, is THAT helpful enough??.

Seriously, once you get the door panel off and remove the old speakers, you will see just how easy it is to carry out this modification.  Go on give it a go! My attitude was I couldn't make the original sound any worse!

Regards

Satts

Wabbitkilla

That's great.

TBH i've been put off upgrading the speakers because i thought the MDF formers were necesary, but it sounds like you've done it a treat with standard fitments.

I look forward to your update.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

roger

I put Infinity speakers in, and sound got much better, then changed the h/u and it got even better. I'm told if I had changed the wiring it would have been better still.

And Nic, if you want some MDF spacers give me a shout   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Jigwar

Quote from: "roger"And Nic, if you want some MDF spacers give me a shout   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I do. I do!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

roger

Quote from: "Jigwar"
Quote from: "roger"And Nic, if you want some MDF spacers give me a shout   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I do. I do!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

PM coming
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

Here are mine if that helps?

Antman

Spotted this thread a few days back and thought I'd give it a go!

I've cut out the baskets, but one question - should I have left the cardboard ring on the front (with the thin foam layer on it)? Because I didn't!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Did you take any pics in the end, Satts?
Ex - 2006 Lagoon Blue with black leather interior, K&N filter, J-spec nose badge, CLUB STICKER, TTE hoop for the bling!

Now - Porsche Boxster S, Arctic Silver - awaiting funds for mods!

Tags: