MY03 head unit change confirmation

Started by Anonymous, January 5, 2004, 11:14

Anonymous

Can anyone confirm what phil (pmdye) says here?

Not got the car yet, but plans afoot to change headunit and would like to know if you can just slot in a single din unit using nothing else other than the existing MY03 brackets as phil describes. Obviously will need to get the single din cubby thing but don't want to start and find I need loads of bits   s:( :( s:(  Phil's setup looks really neat so want something that looks as good   s:D :D s:D  

I take it I will also need an autoleads ISO converter (does anyone have model number, or should I just search?).

Thanks

Steve

Anonymous

Autoleads PC2-17-4 (all toyota models except MR2 with activespeakers)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hanslow"Can anyone confirm what phil (pmdye) says here?

What I wrote still stands, but...

Quote from: "Hanslow"Not got the car yet, but plans afoot to change headunit and would like to know if you can just slot in a single din unit using nothing else other than the existing MY03 brackets as phil describes.

I believe the MY03 uses a slightly different fascia surround, so you may need some extras. Mine is a 2000 model, which had the double-DIN Sony headunit, and a different surround I believe.

Anonymous

Ah right, probs need to get some more bits then  s:( :( s:(

We'll see when it arrives. Could always just get either the Rav4 thingy, or the toyota bits, but I want to do it for free (well nearly   s:D :D s:D  )

Perry, thanks for the lead no.  s:) :) s:)

filcee

I have used the '03 brackets to fit my Pioneer.  I still need to fit the pocket, spacers and surround trim.  The radio fits fine, but I can't confirm everything will fit until after I have a go.

WRT the other thread, is that the surround from the pre-'03 Sony units?  Looks pretty neat.  I am going to try and re-use the '03 surround, but I think the earlier one may look better.  I'll wait until after I've had a go with what I've got until I decide.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

filcee, would be interested to see any pics you have of the unit (being) fitted to see how it looks (if it ain't too much hassle  s:) :) s:)  ) and what bits you used to finish it off (if needed).

Are the spacers and trim the extra stuff that you need to buy from Mr T, or are they bits off the original unit?

Cheers

Steve

filcee

Steve,

I got my stuff from Mr T- see my last post on this thread http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1934

As for photos - I can do some, but others have already posted elsewhere, and likely made a better job of their web sites (mine is crap, so I won't link to it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: )

Try:

EuroRoadster.com

Which I found pretty good, the only bit it doesn't tell you is how to remove the silver boots.  Grab 'em at the bottom and pull (firmly) towards you to release them.  Makes the ends of you're fingers hurt though!

Once I've done, I'll take some pictures of the complete install.  Hopefully, this will be before Sunday's meet, but I'm dependent on the weather for finishing the job.

HTH,
Phil
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Thanks Phil   s8) 8) s8)  

Look forward to the pics  s:) :) s:)  If it looks neat enough then I'll be happy to get the Mr T parts  s:) :) s:)

Still deciding on head unit at the mo tho   s:? :? s:?   Mrs likes the retro style Pioneer (DEHP77) I kinda like the DEHP7500 with the fancy bits, but also like the retro one!! Decisions, decisions.....

Ought to wait til I get the car first tho   s:D :D s:D    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

filcee

I went for the retro one in the end (77MP). This was for two reasons:

1. The red illumination option on the 7500, was RED, not even remotely orange/amber.  It also looked cheap lit up in red.

2. The guy at Bass Junkies had an '03 model '2 and put a 7500 in, then took it nstraight out 'cos it looked crap!

The other one I was looking at was the 5530, which is supposed to be orange illumination, but they didn't have one in stock.  Also, I had partly discounted it because it won't do full DAB control.  DAB is something I might fit in the future (providing I don't need to drill the bodywork for an aerial, eeeuch!)

I'll defintely put some piccies up so you can see the 77MP fitted - it might help you decide between the two. (I think it looks quite good BTW, even if the lighting doesn't match the dash.)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Think I've decided on the 77MP now over the 7500 having looked into it a bit more  s:D :D s:D  Missus prefers it as well, so that's the deciding factor   s:) :) s:)  

So.....install pics would be great   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

With the info you give on the other thread about what parts are needed, I should be laughing   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cheers very muchly  s:) :) s:)  

Steve

filcee

Early start this morning, and it is done (except for one silver boot, passenger side, as it started to rain quite hard.).  Pics after the meet at the weekend.

Couple of useful bits of info.  The '03 surround trim fits, but you can't fit the grey surround that comes with the 77MP H/U.  Doesn't really make that much difference though.  There are a couple of visible gaps with the unit face off, but they aren't noticeable with it in place.  As I'm not likely to be in the car when the front off the H/U I don't think this will be a problem.  The H/U unit comes with screws for fitting, so no need to worry about that.

The spacers should be fitted before screwing the storage slot in place.  The front-most screw goes through the spacer and into the hole on the tray.  The spacers are clearly stamped 'L' and 'R' so you can put them on the correct way round.

There are a couple of tabs on the top front of the storage slot that don't quite line up with holes in the bottom of the 77MP.  This would leave a nasty gap, and makes aligning the slot screw holes with those in the bracket difficult.  A couple of careful minutes with a Dremel and a grinding disk does the trick quite nicely, if this gap is going to bother you any.  There are 'pips' on the brackets that engage with the storage slot, so it will only really fit in one place anyway.

If you want self-tapping screws to fit the slot, the B&Q 5mm x 12mm (No. 10 x 1/2-inch) work fine.  I suggest this because Mr T weren't very helpful when I tried to get some, citing "we don't know what size you will need" - blimey! I'm fitting your parts mate!  I put a small washer behind each screw, but they're barely big enough to spread the load.

I've used B&Q all-purpose black electrical tape to wrap the connectors.  This seems to be much better stuff than the crap I normally manage to buy.  It's in single rolls and a bit more expensive than their other leccy tapes so should be easy to spot.  Total cost for screws and tape is about 3 quid.

In total, and dodging the rain, took me an hour to take everything out and put it all back again.  Working from home can be such a wonderful thing!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Superb   s:D :D s:D   Sounds quite easy to do then.

Look forward to seeing the pics   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

filcee

Pics:
shows the H/U in place and some of the surrounding dash.  Sorry, no wide angle lens  s:-( :-( s:-(   Retro look seems to fit fine (to me).

shows the blue-white illumination against the orange of the dash.  Not brilliant, but not bad.  I can live with it.

oh dear!  Japanese manufacturing isn't quite as precise as German.  The storage tray is about 2mm wider each side than a DIN H/U, so there are gaps.  I thought these would be hidden by the front of the unit, but they're not  s:-( :-( s:-(   I'm going to see if I can live with them, otherwise I'll be swapping everything for a one-piece unit - which I think is the autoleads one.

On the plus side, I find this unit is very 'musical' sounding, if that means anything to anyone.  I'm actually enjoying listening to music in the car again - niiiiiiice  :-) :-) :-)

[edit]Links to pics are broken for some reason I can't fathom.  s:? :? s:?  The URLs work fine direct from a browser window, but not when referenced from here.[/edit]

[2nd edit]Fixed - operator error  s:roll: :roll: s:roll: [/2nd edit]
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

Thanks Phil, looks very   s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)  

Guess that's the headunit decided then....just need the job confirmed so I can take the car   s:D :D s:D

Tags: