Under-Seat Active Woofer

Started by crankshaft, January 14, 2004, 08:35

crankshaft

Hi;

In 'My Other' car I have a Sony Active Woofer which is a similar size to a cornflakes box, it works great and I have swapped it from car to car for the last 5 years !

I am considering buying another for my 2 but don't have access to my 2 at the moment and would appreciate if someone could have a look under the passenger seat and let me know roughly what size box could fit underneath it (w x h x l).

Many Thanx

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

I seriously doubt theres enough room there. I have a VHS video cassete stuck under my passenger seat at the moment, and its in such a position that it looks like I'm going to have to restort to using my socket set to get it out...

As an alternative though, I am about to ressurect the UnderDash Subwoofer Group buy. (Christmas is a terrible time to try and sell anything!) A company in Florida have made a sub unit that fits under the dash above the throttle pedal. Its not the cheapest option going, but with the US dollar in freefall against the GB Pound at the moment, and by buying several at once, I hope to get this acclaimed Subwoofer for a bargain price...

Look here for more details:

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1862
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

GSB is right, those won't fit...you can barely fit your hand under the seats.

I had (probably the same?) flat Sony subs in my Mk1 under the seats, but they weren't even close to fit under the Roadsters seats. And they are under 2" high.

They can be used behind the seats, standing up though...if you don't need to set the seat all the way back. (but to be honest, those subs are kinda sucky, especially in a convertible)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I have fitted a Genesis Profile II under the driver's seat with ease.  The dimensions of the amp are:

L 240mm
D 217mm
H 38mm

I would say that's almost cornflakes box size...

Anonymous

and it acts as a good heater too i bet LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

GSB

Underdash Subwoofer Group Buy is going ahead...

check it out here....

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?p=29380#29380 m
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I have fitted a Genesis Profile II under the driver's seat with ease.  The dimensions of the amp are:

L 240mm
D 217mm
H 38mm

I would say that's almost cornflakes box size...

I was playing around with the seats yesterday and I can't figure out how you've managed to fit that in there...

Anyone happen to have pics of what's under the seat in UK?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "Tem"Anyone happen to have pics of what's under the seat in UK?
I've had the seats out, and although I don't have any pics I can tell you there is nothing (bar the cable for the seatbelt detector coming up through the carpet) on the floor.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

GSB

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I would say that's almost cornflakes box size...

At less than 40mm high thats a pretty slim box of cornflakes!

Anonymous

only amp that i have fitted under the seats are Gensis profile series and only being a channel !

i dont like fitting them there as not much air flow

filcee

Quote from: "GSB"Underdash Subwoofer Group Buy is going ahead...

check it out here....

m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?p=29380#29380 m

I checked this out, but I'm not sure I understand what you get.  If I read it right, you get an enclosure of some description designed to fit in the gap above the throttle pedal?  Is this right?  Once you have that, you then need to buy a driver - the speaker - to fit inside it, plus an amp if you H/U needs one to drive a sub, and any cables you need to run from H/U to (amp to) sub?

Do I have this right?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Slacey

Quote from: "filcee"Do I have this right?
Yep, exactly right.

Anonymous

Slacey your master has tought you well But for one this hast is much of a vertue!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Well it's not exactly rigth! as you cant use the H/U to run the driver!

Because:

1) you wont have a Sub pre out thast powered only RCA
2) RCA is only singal and needs a amp to give any power
3) Your speaker wires off the headunit have not got LPF (low phase filters)
4) without low phase filters you will get all range not just bass
5) driver works on only noramlly 30Hz to 80Hz !
6) most headunit only pump out about 25W RMS
7) Driver needs At between 50-90W RMS but of Low fequancey!

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could use the driver to be a mid range and operate between say 80Hz to 160Hz then still you would not have enogth power and then you would need a amp with a biult in HPF (high phase filter) to stop all the low range going to it ! and some of the high end treble!

Desistions are hard but i will be using mine to reproduce around 65Hz to 100Hz but my other sub deals with the 25Hz to 60 Hz !

hope this helps!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

filcee

Buster,

I think my H/U has a high pass filter - there's certainly options to set it up from the front panel. There's also a sub-out on the back, although it's RCA therefore will need an amp - at least according to the install diagrams the bits between the H/U and sub are shown as "sold seperately" - which must mean the H/U can't do it  s:-( :-( s:-(

So, the question is, having managed to hide the sub, where do you hide the amp without losing any storage.  Is there a 1-din unit that will fit under the H/U?  Or something slim that will go under a seat?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"Slacey your master has tought you well But for one this hast is much of a vertue!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Well it's not exactly rigth! as you cant use the H/U to run the driver!
I am sorry my master, a thousand apologies.. I shall go and flog myself 20 times *snigger*  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

You can either

1) mount a Gensis 2 channel profile amp under the seat

or

2) any small 2 channel amp behind the passenger seat or drivers mounted uprigth against the pannel below the bins!

filcee

Quote from: "Buster"You can either

1) mount a Gensis 2 channel profile amp under the seat
Would be my choice - i've always fancied heated seats!
Quote from: "Buster"or

2) any small 2 channel amp behind the passenger seat or drivers mounted uprigth against the pannel below the bins!
That counts as storage space (well, in mine it does  s;-) ;-) s;-)  )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Anonymous

QuoteBuster wrote:

or

That counts as storage space (well, in mine it does  )

my seats have to go all the way back long legs so i miss out on extra amp space  s:( :( s:(  not good

GSB

Quote from: "filcee"I checked this out, but I'm not sure I understand what you get.  If I read it right, you get an enclosure of some description designed to fit in the gap above the throttle pedal?  Is this right?  Once you have that, you then need to buy a driver - the speaker - to fit inside it, plus an amp if you H/U needs one to drive a sub, and any cables you need to run from H/U to (amp to) sub?

Do I have this right?

Yep, thats right. you'll be getting an enclosure designed to fit up inside the dash and tuned for a JL audio 6w0 woofer.

The reason for having no speaker is one of weight, Whilst the speaker is cheaper to buy in the states, it ends up costing more once you get it here as shipping is charged by weight. So there will undoubtedly be another GB for the drive units. I think Markiii has details of a supplier that will be willing.

You will need an amp, (I'm sure Buster can help out here) but for your money you'll be getting a sub that will wipe the floor with any other bolt in solution, is practicaly un-stealable, and uses none of your luggage space.

If your considering a sub, and dont want to build into one of your luggage boxes, this is probably your best bet...

Tags: