Stereo Upgrade - Where to start?

Started by Anonymous, January 26, 2004, 13:28

Anonymous

Right!  I've had the car for barely 2 months from new and you lot banging on   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  about the inadequacies of the standard fit LoFi have got me convinced that the standard set-up doesn't sound all that great.  To me it feels lacking in real depth, power and control.  

For a lot of the time we're using the car the poor quality isn't a problem because it's not on, but for longer journeys it would be nice to have a stereo that sounded better.  The problem is that I don't know where to start.  Has this been covered before?  

Are the in-door speakers the weak point for initial attention or is the headunit the main offender?  Or do I really need a decent sub and is there a pre-out on the head unit?

At the moment I have yet to convince my better half that there is anything wrong, but I would appreciate any advice from those with better knowledge than me on what a sensible upgrade programe would be.

And I suppose one final question...do Toyota get the @rse about stereo changes and warranty?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Anonymous

I have a non-standard alpine headunit and I have some Focals in the door which have imporved the quality no end I am now looking to put the 6x9's in the cubby holes.  Sorry this isn't too specfic but I personally think the whole thing needs changing!

markiii

Andy,

There should be nor problems with warranty from aftermarket stereos as long as you don't screw through cables, isn't that right SteveJ  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

First point of call is to dynomat the doors, though flashing tape is easier for teh plastic panels. Do both the plastic and the door skins.

Assuming you have the 03 with teh fisher price next thing is the headunit, what features are you after?

For some much needed bass reinforcement get a UD sub as per the current GB being rganised.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

filcee

My advice would be to start with the H/U.  Better speakers will not recover information that was never sent by the H/U in the first place (these are the same rules as for domestic hi-fi).

There's lots of things on here about how to do it.  You're in the right forum for a start!  Try the 'search' funcion (not the biggest button on the site, but there none-the-less), and also some external sites, like euroroadster.com.

Here's a thread to get you started: http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=2035

I can't help with regards to persuading your SO.  Mine is quite easy to persuade, but then I have been trained by her on how to best present my case  s;-) ;-) s;-)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

GSB

If you change your stereo, then clearly you cant expect the cars warranty to cover the new one, and if you bugger anything up by putting your new stereo in, then you cant expect them to pay up. Otherwise, changing your stereo presents no problems with your warranty...

New speakers are a must. (6.5 inch 2 way components - anything with a decent name or recomended here on MR2-ROC) Followed by a decent head unit to get the best from the new speakers. Then to get the best from the new head unit and speakers, an amp might be nice. And then seeing as youve got an amp, you may as well treat yourself to a decent subwoofer. Funnily enough, I can probably help you out there...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: (HINT: Look in the sig line below)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Andy,

There should be nor problems with warranty from aftermarket stereos as long as you don't screw through cables, isn't that right SteveJ  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

First point of call is to dynomat the doors, though flashing tape is easier for the plastic panels. Do both the plastic and the door skins.

Assuming you have the 03 with the fisher price next thing is the headunit, what features are you after?

For some much needed bass reinforcement get a UD sub as per the current GB being rganised.

Thanks for the warrantly comment, that helps, and I'd not thought of Dynamat.  

I do have the Fisher Price unit and I've read a few threads about installing standars single DIN units and have to say that it sounds a sizeable job to get a quality finish, which I must have, because otherwise it would drive me nuts.  As for features, I want a unit which is easy to use, doesn't have loads of flashing lights and equalisers, fits well with the interior and has a single CD, a tuner and decent sound quality.

I like the look of the UD sub in the GB and that's really what got me thinking.  Do I need to  upgrade the headunit first.....!

Thanks for all the input so far
Andy

markiii

Andy,

Autoleade do single dine replacement panel, ask Buster, all that it requires is the fascia from Toyota, to clip over it. Mines similar though was sourced from the states, I'll see fi I can dig out pics.

You won't need a new headunit per sa to be worth getting teh UD sub, the main problem is it's lack of pre-outs which you will need to feed an amp in order drive the sub.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "Andy S"I do have the Fisher Price unit and I've read a few threads about installing standars single DIN units and have to say that it sounds a sizeable job to get a quality finish,

Not sizeable at all. The only real grief is making sure you have the right parts before you start. My own car didnt have a stereo at all when I got it, but I got a kit from toyota of all the parts required to fit a single din head unit in. Including all the soldering (I refuse to use crimp connectors) and running a seperate power feed from the battery, the whole job took 2 hours.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Andy,

From all what has been said which is all good advice and is only the personal view of people but the main problems of the MR2 sound set up is

1) Rattleing
2) Standard speakers wont handle 100Hz or below easy !
3) H/U dosent give engoth power for roof down wind terbalance!

I have given this adivce to mainy people before and this should start with the Rattleing! This can be sorted out by just (as markii said) by applying Dynomat or flashing tape(used on roofs) This will dampen the rattles and improve the sound of the factory speakers ! as it will reflect all the sound back into the cab. This would cost say £30 a door if you done it your self and taking teh door card off is easy do a search and i have done a rigth up on it  s;) ;) s;)

Next would be a simple speaker upgrade and this can be iether a £60 set of comps and coxails have to be 6.5" to fit back into the hole! but for many of teh users here they have taken my advice and gone for a set of Focals Access these are £140 ish these will replace the wooofer and tweeter and give a much better sound stage and spectrum . You will have tog et some speaker brackets and i shall be making a load more soon   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Next would  be a new H/U and this is the most expensive part but i find the most rewarding as you can choice from a range of 1000's and range in price from £60 to £2500 !!!!!! but i recomend Alpine or Pioneer as i have had lots of experience with these and they have never let me downa dn give supiror SQ and SPL ! to fit a single DIN h/u you will need a autoleads facia adaptor which can be bougth from halfords at around £35 this is the RAV 4 2000+ modle!

So in total for a new headunit and loom + facia adapotr look to spend around £350-£500 for a good unit and of course you can get autochangers for them !

for a total install of speakers dynomat and H/U looks to pay £700 anfd you will be having it large   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

but i dont think there is any need for a sub just yet but if you do you will needa  seperate amp and a H/U with sub out ! to add a sub look to spend if using the UD whihc is the best way so far look to spend around $500 for box, driver , amp and leads !

hope this helps

Anonymous

Buster,

Thanks for the detailed reply, that is really helpful.  

Think I'll work on the Trouble for a while and look out for your brackets when you make them, then replace speakers and fit Dynamat in one hit.  

Ta
Andy

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Andy S"Buster,

Thanks for the detailed reply, that is really helpful.  

Think I'll work on the Trouble for a while and look out for your brackets when you make them, then replace speakers and fit Dynamat in one hit.  

Ta
Andy
Put me down please Buster for buying as set of speaker spacers toooooo  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

i will put it in teh buying and selling forum when i make engoth   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

[Holds up hands] Can I have a set too please Mr Buster  s;) ;) s;)   s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

You'll have to excuse that state of my car its not this messy anymore lol.

Here are saome pics of mine mate, took about 20 mins:

These are the parts and part numbers you need from toyota:

55521 -16030 : Tray / Storage slot
55423 - 17040 : Surrounding trim
86221 -52050 : Left hand spacer
86221 - 52060 : Right hand spacer

You'll need a wiring loom from Autoleads of some1 as well

Anonymous

Quote from: "Andy S"At the moment I have yet to convince my better half that there is anything wrong, but I would appreciate any advice from those with better knowledge than me on what a sensible upgrade programe would be.

Cant help on the audio, but sometimes its better to ask for forgivness than permission!

Anonymous

Anyone fitted a DAB unit in a Roadster? Recommendations?

Anonymous

yeah DAB will fit under the dash and any DAB unit is small engoth

Anonymous

Thanks Buster. Does a DAB installation still require a separate DAB aerial?

Anonymous

depending on what unit you buy some have a built in arial and others use the extisting arial and others some you have to fix a arial on the window scrren gose wrond the edge and dont realy notice it

Anonymous

Thanks. Decided that if I upgrade the H/U then I might as well go for DAB. I'll start looking around at kit and prices.

Tags: