Sony Remote Install - Can't get plastic pillars off... help!

Started by Anonymous, January 27, 2004, 12:37

Anonymous

I've got me a Sony RM-X4S Remote for the pre '03 stereos... and I'm trying to install it.

First off, I can barely get my fingers round the back of the stereo in order to find the socket for the remote, let alone plug it in.

So I'm thinking of sliging the stereo out... but how on earth do I do that...  I can't even get those plastic pillars off (the ones that run from the transmission tunnel to the aircontrols) to get to the nuts and bolts underneath.

How do I get the side pilar plastic covers off?  I've tried pulling at the bottom and sides and they don't want to come off... what am I doing wrong?

FWIW I've read this: http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/july/Stereo/stereo.htm  However the first step says it's dead easy... I can't find the screw mentioned, can't pull the plastic off so obviously I'm not finding it quite that easy  s:) :) s:)

Help  s:) :) s:)

Slacey

Pull the silver bits at the bottom from the back edge, and give them some muscle, but be careful as you will hurt your fingers!

Once off, you will see the bolts; follow the article for the rest.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Liz

When Buster done mine he just plugged it in around the back of the stereo, IIRC its on the bottom left hand side around the back obviously, then he chopped the wire in two but thats another story!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"IIRC its on the bottom left hand side around the back obviously

s:) :) s:)  If I'd been a little more patient, that bit of info would have saved me a huuuuuge amount of bother  s:) :) s:)

Liz

And there are pictures now!!

m http://uk.msnusers.com/LizMyers/shoebox ... PhotoID=65 m

and

m http://uk.msnusers.com/LizMyers/shoebox ... PhotoID=66 m

Sorry the first one is a bit blurred, its cold out there!!

You can tell that I have time on my hands at the moment, I am having my new kitchen fitted and sitting up in the warm away from the dust and the noise!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Cool thanks!

Anonymous

yeah justa  simple phono socket but be careful not to cut the wire !

as you will need to solder the small wire and Liz and comer and vouch for how small it was   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Thanks Slacey, Liz, Buster.  I've got it in now... but I've lost two screws (They fell into various bits of the dash as I attempted to screw them back in) and am struggling with one of the two remaing screws.   I'll have a go at the weekend, and see if I can get the last screw in place, and find the other two.

Tell you what, without you bunch even a simple task like this would have probably defeated me.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Glad you got it sorted Phil. Bit late to this one, but it is actually quite easy once you know where the socket is. Hope you find your screws!

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"but it is actually quite easy once you know where the socket is.

I wish I'd waited a little, 'cause it'd have saved me sooooo much time  s:) :) s:)

Tags: