Standard Speakers

Started by crankshaft, January 31, 2004, 12:26

crankshaft

Hi;

Could one of you who has your original speakers handy, measure the outside diameter of the speaker and the distance from the outside diameter to the centre of the mounting holes and let me know what the dimensions are.

Thanx

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

s:?: :?: s:?:  C'mon sum1, just take a couple of minutes to measure the outside diameter and the distance to the mounting holes.   s:?: :?: s:?:  

I need to make up some spacers and need to get the size of the old speaker so I can pre-make them before removing the panels.

Thanx

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

send a PM to Buster - he will know!   s:D :D s:D

crankshaft

Hi Kris;

Yeah, I actually drew the spacer in another thread a couple of weeks ago, and asked for dimensions but I guess Buster's too busy at the moment with his exams, so I thought I would ask others and work out all of the other dimensions myself.

Cheers

CrankShaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

zud

Regarding your template, I don't think it's as easy as measuring a couple of diameters and angles.  If my memory is correct (approx 8 months ago) then the spacer is not as regular in shape as the template you drew..... e.g.  a circle through the screw holes wouldn't share the same centre as the cut-out circle for the speakers itself.  And the screw holes aren't equally spaced either... So I think you'd end up with a much more complicated diagram with many more angles and distances needing to be measured.

It's probably easiest to create a template by drawing round the old speaker.  I meant to create a paper template but forgot in the excitement of the install!! (sorry).  I'll take a look in the garage tonight in case the speakers are still kicking around, but i think I binned them.

If you're reasonably handy with a jigsaw, it shouldn't add that much time to the install.  The cut-out for the speaker, and the screw holes need to be accurate, but there's extra space available around the outside of the spacer.  I deliberately left a bit more MDF around the screw hole for strength.

Alternatively, I think Buster currently has a thread where he is offering to produce pre-made spacers (for £15 if my memory serves)
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

yeah i have got a load im going to make but only as i will templte round mine that i made and make the rigth ajustments like the first ones i ever made for mine

crankshaft

Hi There;

Thanx, but the holes must be equally spaced on a PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) otherwise the speaker would be an odd shape and would not be round, and would only fit into the holes in one orientation. Unless there is another adaptor plate which fits between the old speaker and the door panel.

If there are 3 mounting holes in the speaker, then they would be 120 degrees apart, if there were 4 holes then they wouuld be 90 degrees apart etc etc .

Unfortunately I am 10,000 km away from my '2' and can't remove the panel and take a look  otherwise I would have done that ages ago !!!!

CrankShaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

I have used one of Buster's pictures (thanx Buster) to show the critical dimension lines, I know that the camera is not exactly square to the spacer, but i'ts pretty close !!

What I may do is to draw it to scale using what I think are the dimensions and then ask someone to print it out and see if it fits ???!

Crankshaft

2001 SMT - Pete

zud

Quote from: "crankshaft"the holes must be equally spaced on a PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) otherwise the speaker would be an odd shape and would not be round, and would only fit into the holes in one orientation.

I think the stock speakers do only fit in one orientation (which is why I thought the surrounds were irregular in shape!).  But it looks like the screw holes are on a PCD all the same... apologies for the confusion (I did say it was 8 months!)... hopefully that'll make it easier for someone to give you the measurements you need.

Good luck, and thanks for a new term (PCD)
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

crankshaft

Hi Zud;

No, I think you're right, the dimensions to the holes on the drawing were not equally spaced, but i get the impression from you and others that this is a special odd-shaped speaker or it's mounted into a plastic adaptor plate.

Unfortunately I can't confirm that for another couple of months which is when I'll be able to pull off the panel.

Cheers

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

Hi All;

I have managed to get hold of a speaker (horrible plastic housing!!) and have got all the dimensions.

I will create a template & post it sometime so if anyone wants to make their own rather than getting them ready made by Buster (see another thread in GB) they can.

Cheers

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

PM sent to crankshaft for a Plan   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   just you guys wait

Tags: