Will a US spec H/U...

Started by Slacey, February 3, 2004, 10:59

Slacey

work OK in a UK car?

A friend is wanting to bring one over, but I'm not 100% sure if it will work OK  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Thing I remember about Jap ones was that they use different frequencies, and so you'd never get a radio station.  But my memory is a bit vague, and I've no idea if this applies to the US ones.

GSB

I think it does. But only because I remember when playing with a Blaupunkt unit in a shop it had a menu option to set the radio reciever up to whichever side of the pond you were using it. Certainly all the Alpine models are subtly different over there...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"work OK in a UK car?

A friend is wanting to bring one over, but I'm not 100% sure if it will work OK  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

The US MW bands are allocated in 10KHz increments - the UK uses 9KHz. Not sure if there are any differences with FM though.

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"Not sure if there are any differences with FM though.

FM goes with 0.2MHz steps in US... 90.1 90.3 90.5 and so on...if you have stations at 90.2 90.4 and so on in UK, you won't hear them.

Those are done with software, so most (?) models have a choice to change them these days though.

Also most (?) US models seem to lack the support for RDS.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Tem"FM goes with 0.2MHz steps in US... 90.1 90.3 90.5 and so on...if you have stations at 90.2 90.4 and so on in UK, you won't hear them.

Those are big steps.

We use 0.05MHz steps in the UK. So you could use a UK spec radio in the US, but it means that a US spec radio here will be able to pick up some UK radio stations but not all of them.

For example, two of my favourite radio stations:
Radio 1 = 99.7MHz - this will work
Q103 = 103MHz - this will not work and I cannot hear anything clearly at 102.9MHz or 103.1MHz

Anonymous

No RDS/EON, no TA, and worst of all it'll only pick up C&W stations  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

GSB

Quote from: "Testcard"No RDS/EON, no TA, and worst of all it'll only pick up C&W stations  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Could be worse, my UK Head Unit only seems to pick up Rap, UK Garage, and this hideous sh1te that calles itself "R'n'B"...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Whatever happened to decent music?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

One of the drawbacks to living in London. Out here, the BBC are still broadcasting messages to the French Resistance  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Also loom changes from US spec to UK nothing major just small ignition changes

Tags: