Re: Apexi Power Intake (ok, again)

Started by Anonymous, February 3, 2004, 17:36

Anonymous

Quote from: "smr2ley"A postscript here is that just after I had managed the aforesaid 6600 in 5th, I had slowed down, sure, but was still driving a bit  too spiritedly and flew into a radar trap in Cleveland, which is now going to cost me 3 pts and £60 fine for doing 95.....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Just out of curiosity, Are radar/laser detectors legal in the UK?

They aren't in Sweden, though I'm pretending that I don't know that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "RedRaceR"They aren't in Sweden, though I'm pretending that I don't know that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I suppose cops in Sweden don't have too many Spectres then?

Those are just too efficient in smelling detectors  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "RedRaceR"They aren't in Sweden, though I'm pretending that I don't know that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I suppose cops in Sweden don't have too many Spectres then?

Those are just too efficient in smelling detectors  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I'm not familiar with the word Spectres. Though I'm guessing that it means what the cops have to detect radar detectors? is that correct?

My Whistler (forget which model 17 something) has a detector that detects if the cops have a radar detector detector..! (did that make any sense  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

I've been using it for about 2 months now. While having it in my car I have had cops right in front of me, been overtaken by cops, been overtaking cops, had cops behind me but they have never noticed it. Or atleast I haven't been pulled over.

It started to beep really heavy once though at which point I switched it off, just for safety, and not to my surprise just a couple of corners away, two cops were standing on the side of the road.

I was surprised though when I recently found out that there is only a £50 fine for owning one in your vehicle. Though they do also confiscate your detector.

edit:spelling

Tem

Quote from: "RedRaceR"I'm not familiar with the word Spectres. Though I'm guessing that it means what the cops have to detect radar detectors? is that correct?

Yes, it's a radar detector detector. But it's not like the models that were out few years ago, like VG-2. Spectre I can detect virtually every detector (it cannot detect one PNI model) with deadly accuracy and currently there is only one detector that can detect Spectre I (the new Cobra model that came out late last year)...

But the cops already have Spectre II. That one Cobra can also detect Spectre II, but Spectre II can detect that Cobra from further distance. So there's really nothing to beat it these days  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Over here the normal fine for getting caught with a detector is about 500 euros and losing the detector, but it's possible to get a jail sentence too!  s:? :? s:?  
(never heard of anyone actually getting one though)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Over here the normal fine for getting caught with a detector is about 500 euros and losing the detector, but it's possible to get a jail sentence too!  s:? :? s:?  
(never heard of anyone actually getting one though)

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   are you sure? 500 euros?

But I don't know how I'd ever get caught with it. If a cop was to pull me over or wave me in, I'd just disconnect it and hide it somewhere. Or I'd just roll down the window and throw it out on a field   s:) :) s:)   .. It'd be alot cheaper anyways!

It is very small so you could really hide it anywhere. So I'm honestly not very concerned about that.

Tem

Quote from: "RedRaceR"s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   are you sure? 500 euros?

But I don't know how I'd ever get caught with it. If a cop was to pull me over or wave me in, I'd just disconnect it and hide it somewhere. Or I'd just roll down the window and throw it out on a field   s:) :) s:)   .. It'd be alot cheaper anyways!

It is very small so you could really hide it anywhere. So I'm honestly not very concerned about that.

The fine depends on how much you earn...it's roughly 20% of your one months income (before taxes)...

Once the cops know you have one, it's no use to hide it. You can either hand it out, have them search your car or have it towed to nearest police station for the search. If they suspect you have one, they can dismantle your car with no obligation to put it back together. And they will do it too, as several have noticed  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Needless to say, the fine won't be the minimum, if you don't co-operate  s:? :? s:?

If you ever drive in Finland, you should just leave it home  s;) ;) s;)

(serious thread drift, maybe some kind mod would split this, thanks  s8) 8) s8) )

<MOD> Done! </MOD>

Anonymous

Hej!

Radar detectors are perfectly legal in the UK.  The theory is that speed cameras exist for the drivers' safety and as such, there is no reason for the driver not to be aware of them.  

Of course drivers have a somewhat different opinion but that's a different thread altogether.

P.S.  Göteborg is one of my favourite cities (I hope you're not from Stockholm   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

EDIT: What if one was using a GPS based detector, i.e. an iPAQ with TomTom Navigator and software that displays camera locations and police black spots?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Hej!

Radar detectors are perfectly legal in the UK.  The theory is that speed cameras exist for the drivers' safety and as such, there is no reason for the driver not to be aware of them.  

Of course drivers have a somewhat different opinion but that's a different thread altogether.

P.S.  Göteborg is one of my favourite cities (I hope you're not from Stockholm   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).

I live just a little more than an hour away from Gothenburg  s:D :D s:D   ... so no worries there!

QuoteEDIT: What if one was using a GPS based detector, i.e. an iPAQ with TomTom Navigator and software that displays camera locations and police black spots?

good question.. something I'd like to know aswell

kanujunkie

Quote from: "RedRaceR"
QuoteEDIT: What if one was using a GPS based detector, i.e. an iPAQ with TomTom Navigator and software that displays camera locations and police black spots?

good question.. something I'd like to know as well

that's what i use, Tomtom with POI Warner, it can always be put on the contacts list if the cop shop was to turn up?!

untraceable if you can't see the GPS sensor
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "RedRaceR"Just out of curiosity, Are radar/laser detectors legal in the UK?

Yes they are, at the moment, as are GPS based ones.

The reasoning is that they're purely a safety aid, warning you to a potential accident blackspot, or to an area where you should be more cautious with your speed (which is why cameras should be there).

What you can't have is a laser detector and jammer.  Any interference with the Police measuring devices is peverting the course of justice:

The detector stops you from breaking the law - Allowed
The jammer stops them from detecting you breaking the law - No Allowed.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "phil4"Any interference with the Police measuring devices is peverting the course of justice.

Only if they catch you doing it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: