help!!!! radio draining mr2 battery

Started by Anonymous, March 23, 2009, 00:15

Anonymous

hi, i have just bought an 01 mr2 (smt) and when i turn off the car and radio the battery seems to run down. i disconnected the wiring from the back of the radio and the battery charge holds, i installed a new radio and its still draining the battery, any ideas of the cause? thanks, rob.

Anonymous

You probably need a new battery,get it tested.

cclarke99

Certainly it sounds like the battery is dead. How long does it take for the radio to run it down. One other thing to make sure is that you have connected the two power supplies to the radio (one to the supply that comes on with the ignition and the one to the supply that's on all the time)

darkday

Quote from: "cclarke99"Certainly it sounds like the battery is dead. How long does it take for the radio to run it down. One other thing to make sure is that you have connected the two power supplies to the radio (one to the supply that comes on with the ignition and the one to the supply that's on all the time)
What happens if you don't have both power supplies? I don't think I have the one that comes on with the ignition. I remember there was a dongle with one wire coming out of it that isn't there anymore since I removed it to install a sub and now that is gone as well so nothing is there.

But I agree that it sounds like the OP's problem is the battery.

Anonymous

when i charge the battery up fully and disconnect the two connections from the radio the car starts on the button everytime  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Have your battery tested many places will do this for free,you may charge it up and it holds enough charge to kick over engine but the radio has a charge going through it permanently to keep memory settings etc (+alarm)which may drain your battery if its not holding a proper charge.So to recap get your battery checked then you can rule it out or in.

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "life of bryan"Have your battery tested many places will do this for free,you may charge it up and it holds enough charge to kick over engine but the radio has a charge going through it permanently to keep memory settings etc (+alarm)which may drain your battery if its not holding a proper charge.So to recap get your battery checked then you can rule it out or in.
+1

The constant live to the set for memory and the alarm drain very little from the battery so, as stated, I suggest it's your battery.

Please note, the last time I replaced the batery, Mt T charged me about £39, don't go paying Halfords  £50+

PS, Where are you based?  I have a spare your welcome to for a small donation to Club funds. The only thing is you'll have to pick it up from Chelmsford, Essex area.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

thanks, will get it tested, im actually over in ireland but thanks for the offer, will let ye know how i get on...

Tags: