Sony CDX-MP80

Started by crankshaft, February 5, 2004, 07:34

crankshaft

Does anyone have a CDX-MP80 Sony head unit, or have any experience with one ??

I am seriously considering this unit and would like to know if anyone has any comments ??

It has a removable faceplate, anti-skip and the cd is loaded / ejected on a tray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000095JYR/fairshopping-21/202-2682904-9597438

Cheers

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Good looking, good reviews.  But if you are looking for a SONY, why not consider this as well?

m http://www.cel-direct.com/detail.asp?ProductID=2570# m

crankshaft

Hi Emmanuel;

Great thanx, but i believe that the CDX-M100TF does not have a removeable fascia ?? - or does it ??

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

better ones out on the market crankshaft   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   keep searching   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MRMike

Yeah the pre-amps are especially poor on Sony's I've found. And the sound is really shallow. IMO I really dont see the point of the tray, it would be really hard to load a CD onto it whilst driving, why not just slot it in?

Although i'm not a fan of the glitzy displays on the pioneer models their sound repro, built in amp, and EQ settings are excellent.  Alpine are my fav brand, they do some lovely stuff a DVA 7996R at £999 is a belter, or slightly lower budget is the 9812 RR (Red display) which has won lots of awards and comes with a built in 60 watt pre amp circa £240
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

LeeUK

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"Although i'm not a fan of the glitzy displays on the pioneer models their sound repro, built in amp, and EQ settings are excellent.  Alpine are my fav brand, they do some lovely stuff a DVA 7996R at £999 is a belter, or slightly lower budget is the 9812 RR (Red display) which has won lots of awards and comes with a built in 60 watt pre amp circa £240

Funny cos' thats exactly what i'm getting next weekend! (Along with components, amp, dynomat etc etc etc!!!)

£150 from Car Audio & Security on Tottenham court road.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

MRMike

An excellent choice if i do say so myself..are you going for the red one, as that has a different model designation 9812 RR as opposed to 9812RB for the blue one just something to note so your not dissapointed when it arrives..
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

LeeUK

No i want the blue and silver one as the silver should break up some of the vast blackness of the dash!!

I shall be collecting the bits myself to avoid any mix-ups.  I've had bad expriences of mail order when i ordered some bits from "New Image Hi-fi". Although i'll have to order the 6 inch JL sub on-line from  w www.bassjunkies.com w  .... £78... Bargain!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

markiii

interesting JL won't usually let box shifters like bassjunkies be dealers,

I should be able to get them for £70 max for a group this size, hopefully another £10 off or so.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

I've ordered my JL's through Bassjunkies I don't think they keep stock on the said items.  They were really cheap for what i wanted so seemed the best place. Why do you say JL wont usually allow box shifters mark? presumably because of the high quality? or is there something else i should know about Bassjunkies?

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

Personal opinion on bass junkies.

They are good on price, and I'm more than happy with the service.

however I only use them when I know what I'm after, usually head unit or changer. or accessories.

They are (or at least were) hopeless in offering advice. If I remember correctly it is owned by a couple of Asian brothers who operate under the umbrella of their dads clothing business. They always used to be a box shifter appealing to the max muppet brigade. (his is going back a couple of years to when they stated as a small shopi in Wednesgield, Wolverhampton)

JL generally do not like box shifters or internet retailers. They prefer to associate with Quality Audio dealers. usually it is Grey stock that appears at these kind of locations.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't buy from them, I would if teh price is right, and I doubt you will have a problem. But I doubt they are authorised JL delaers.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

Quote from: "LeeUK"No i want the blue and silver one as the silver should break up some of the vast blackness of the dash!!

Haha I went with a black HU so it would fit in more! Different strokes! You'll be pleased with that HU let me know what its like as i thought about that one

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

crankshaft

Thanx for all your comments & suggestions BUT.....

I'm really looking for a Sony Head unit as I have developed an interface to my iPod which uses the Sony UniLink CD/MD Changer interface to control the iPod via the Remote Control Plug.

They can't all be bad.........can they ????   s:?: :?: s:?:  

CrankShaft
2001 SMT - Pete

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"Personal opinion on bass junkies.

They are good on price, and I'm more than happy with the service.

however I only use them when I know what I'm after, usually head unit or changer. or accessories.

They are (or at least were) hopeless in offering advice. If I remember correctly it is owned by a couple of Asian brothers who operate under the umbrella of their dads clothing business. They always used to be a box shifter appealing to the max muppet brigade. (his is going back a couple of years to when they stated as a small shopi in Wednesgield, Wolverhampton)

JL generally do not like box shifters or internet retailers. They prefer to associate with Quality Audio dealers. usually it is Grey stock that appears at these kind of locations.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't buy from them, I would if the price is right, and I doubt you will have a problem. But I doubt they are authorised JL delaers.

Thanks for the info Mark, they seem quite professional they're website is fantastic with technical support which to be honest didn't seem bad.  And they have now got three places, one of the showrooms is quite impressive. However the fact that they don't keep JL in stock has made me a bit concerned.  Also I rang them on monday after they gave me a quote to say i'll have it if you make it a bit cheaper.  Still no call back which I think is rediculous when your waiting to hand over £2,000 to them.  I'll see if I can get the stuff elsewhere I think.  Cheers again Mark

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

MRMike

Quote from: "crankshaft"Thanx for all your comments & suggestions BUT.....

They can't all be bad.........can they ????   s:?: :?: s:?:  

CrankShaft

They're not bad..they're just not as good as the competition.  If you really want a Sony, the CDX CA900 is highly rated from what I've seen as is one of the nicest looking HU on the market.  IT's recently come down in price from £250 to £160 as well

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Mikeharper2"
Quote from: "LeeUK"No i want the blue and silver one as the silver should break up some of the vast blackness of the dash!!

Haha I went with a black HU so it would fit in more! Different strokes! You'll be pleased with that HU let me know what its like as i thought about that one
Let me know as well please; are they really that cheap  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

If you really want a Sony HU (which I do) I think the new '04 range may be even better (and cheaper) than the '03 ones like the mp80.  The CDX-F7700 has 4v pre-outs which means nothing to me but Buster says are good    s:? :? s:?  

J

GSB

I've never personally been a fan of Sony In-car stuff. Whilst I think some of the Home electronics they do cant be beaten, the In-car side of the business seems to pander to the Max Poser brigade far too much. Dancing multicolour displays, and fascia's that whizz and whirr and fold themselves up like mechanical origami are all very well, but frankly its the sound that counts, and I've heard much-much better...

For my money, I'd go for an Alpine unit. They make good sounds whilst having the minimum of gimmicks and staying within the realms of sensible pricing. Good sound quality, and extremely versatile, although a pain to fit as you have to run a seperate power feed from the battery.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

aaronjb

I've always been an Alpine man myself too - although that new Sony does look nice..

I've had good results with Pioneer kit in the past too (DEH-9100R which got nicked  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  ), and I was personally pondering the DEH P8400MP which looks quite good.. Slightly lowere specced than the Alpine, though - depends mainly if OEL displays are your thang or not I guess  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: