Double din from Supra(paypal claim advice needed)

Started by Anonymous, March 26, 2009, 19:08

Anonymous

Hi just picked up a double din that was fitted in a 95 Toyota Supra from ebay for £60,it has sat nav,tv,cd,radio etc.Am i right in thinking this should go straight into my '2?

wbarrwebster

I'm no expert but me thinks the unit being double din should fit...although the thought crossed my mind, what aerial can you use to pull in a TV signal?

The car that it came out of probably had an integrated  TV aerial, I suggest you'll have a problem obtaining one that will look ok in the soft top 2, assuming you don't have a TV aerial with it, my experience  is that they are normally about a foot long and are V shaped.......where do you site that in the car?  

I bought a Chinese Unit from the same site, Radio, CD, TV, DVD..........didn't fit it, couldn't set up TV for reasons mentioned. DVD was fantastic, CD was ok, Radio not great on pulling in signal, having said that the unit was not a known brand....you pays you money....

Hope it works out !

B
W. B. Webster

uktotty

Looks like a Bargain Bry.
Should fit fine  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Not too worried about TV as everything is going digital anyway so wont get a signal even with proper ariel when that happens.Not much of a risk at £60.

wbarrwebster

Hi again,

I've assumed the unit came from a UK speced car, obviously if its an import with a Jap domestic unit, you'll need a band expander and the DVD format maybe different.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Hmmm may be from an import,can those things you mentioned be fixed if it needs it?

wbarrwebster

You can buy a band expander on Ebay, not expensive, can't say about DVD format......Just been informed, the Jap DVD is Region 2 same as ours, so ok!!

Surely the guy that sold it must have had the same issues and hopefully resolved them prior to you buying..?

Why not take an hour this weekend, pull your existing unit out and plug the new head unit in and check it out....Again, I'm assuming because it's from a Toyota that the connections will be ok.....

It certainly looks the business and it's novel to have a one off.....

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Discription on ebay said it hasnt been in for a while but has just been tested by Toyota and was told everything was working and it was put in temp for pics to show working,i wont receive it till monday.Will be chuffed if everything works as stock units go for this kind of money!Will i need a sat nav ariel?

wbarrwebster

Quote from: "life of bryan"Discription on ebay said it hasnt been in for a while but has just been tested by Toyota and was told everything was working and it was put in temp for pics to show working,i wont receive it till monday.Will be chuffed if everything works as stock units go for this kind of money!Will i need a sat nav ariel?

Normally for a dash Sat Nav unit you need a separate one in my experience (Becker, Sony  etc.)...again no big expense ( ebay, about £10-12 from memory). The connection at the back is normally pretty standard, so should not be an issue.

I can't tell from the picture of the back of the unit, possibly  2 holes, one for normal aerial, one for Sat Nav. I see it's go a fan, which suggests it needs it..which suggests it puts out a good bit of power.

Should be ok.....get some pics up when it's up and running..

The other issue  ( Another bloody issue..sorry) as the unit's is circa 1995, the Sat Nav software (maps) could be  out of date.....suggest you establish make...and eventually do some scouting round for updates..ideally look for copies, the originals can be expensive.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Well after some research on the internet i believe it is a 1999 Toyota Fujitsu ten E7707 AVN which will play tape,radio,cd,md and radio with bandwidth adapter which the seller is including but no dvd and i think the tv would need to be adapted somehow from ntsc to pal which i'm not that bothered about unless its cheap to do and for the sat nav to work it has to be connected to an ecu with is situated under the seat of the host vehicle and wont work outside Japan.

wbarrwebster

Did some research myself after Googleing the reference........Jeez, bit of a can of worms...There's a lot of info on the Toyota Owners Site, not always your model but the same issues have cropped up over the last couple of years..

As much as I can tell, you can convert the yank tv format to Pal, cost and how to are  unknown. It has been suggested that if you can trial a UK version of the Toyota TNS300 Sat Nav for the UK, (I think these were an option on some of the Roadster's Head Units) Anyway, it might activate the Sat Nav but I would want confirmation before spending any money on it.  Biggest issue seems to be that every thing seems to be in Japanese.

As it happens I do know a Japanese lady and while I don't know her well enough to ask her to translate a whole Manual....I'm sure she would "do" me a page or two if required.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

This is just going to have to be a nice looking oem cd player really but thanks for your imput.

Anonymous

How do you remove the stock Sony?i have looked and there apears to be no holes or anything to release it.

Doesnt matter just found using the search looks hard work!

Anonymous

I have decided to open up a claim with paypal as the seller sent me a message(he poked the bear) saying that he did nothing wrong and i should learn to read as it said it was from 95 supra import(this describes car not unit right?) when i gave him bad feedback for describing the item as having satnav and tv,he ommited the fact that it has to be connected to an underseat ECU/sat nav box and this wouldnt work outside Japan!My claim is that in his description he described it as being tested by Toyota and quote;"ALL WORKING cd,md,radio,satnav and tv" as this isnt the case have i got a good case?Has anyone experience of this?

wbarrwebster

Well, I'm no expert and I've never had to take anyone to task on Ebay yet, although I don't doubt EBay is a reflection of the world, so they'll be some dodgy characters there like anywhere else.

My twopence worth, I know about buyer beware but surely if someone states that the item they are selling has Rad, CD, Minidisk, SatNAv et al and they are ALL Working, by inference that's what you are buying..ALL Working!   If that were not the case, reference should have been made and some qualification detailed.

B
W. B. Webster

filcee

(not sure I should admit to this ... but ...)  On a recent Gadget Show, there was a challenge to sell old stuff for the max. amount of cash.  One item being sold by one of the programme's presenters at a computer fair was on old iPod mini in its original box.  The box indicated that the iPod mini came with a mains charger.  There was no charger in the box.  The buyer brought the iPod mini back to the presenter doing the selling and complained - the buyer got a refund.

The explanation given was that if a second hand item is described somewhere, then when it is sold it should match the description given.  The presenter felt his buyer had a good case for the item not matching the description and felt that a refund would be the best thing to do.

Similarly, if you go to the junk corner in, say, PC World, you will find stuff that has been returned (slightly used or shop soiled) and re-wrapped and has stickers applied saying things like "No cables", "No software", "No charger" and so on.  This presumably is to meet the legislation around description of items.

The challenge is to find the piece of legislation and be able to reference it (online or otherwise).  A call to your local trading standards might help you find the relevant reference, even if they have no jurisdiction over this particular sale.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Thudd

Raise a Paypal dispute.

You should get your cash back, but it could take a couple of months.

Anonymous

Already raised a claim through PayPal just wondering how successful these things are and other people's experience's of simmilar situations on ebay.

StuM

Only time I had to claim through Paypal was for a book I bought from an Ebay seller in the States that didn't arrive.  And the seller feedback, having had 100% positive when I bought, was trashed daily by negatives about non-delivery.  No e-mails were answered etc.  So, I raised a claim and got the full refund within a month.

I think that you have a fair case based on the description that you posted above - at the end of the day, had it said Sat Nav and DVD don't work in the UK, you'd not have bought, so definately misleading.

Sadly, my mate bought some replacement headlights for his VW that were described in the advert as "like new".  He received them to discover one of the rubber covers on the back was missing and both lights had holes drilled in the bottom!  Paypal in that case didn't want to know and rejected his claim, somewhat inexplicably.

Good luck with it.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Thudd

My mate bought a "brand new, unbranded, unlocked" mobile which was a fully branded locked Orange return.

He got a full refund, inc postage.

Anonymous

Result!PayPal have looked at transaction and have awarded me full refund including P+P once i have returned item to seller.Very pleased.

wbarrwebster

At least there is some justice in the world.

B
W. B. Webster

northernalex

Quote from: "life of bryan"Already raised a claim through PayPal just wondering how successful these things are and other people's experience's of simmilar situations on ebay.

Very sucessful if you're the buyer. As soon as you raise the dispute the money is taken from the sellers account and held in 'limbo'  until they sort out the issue. I've had this as a seller a couple of times and even when i've been 100% in the right the buyer has got their money back, so I wouldnt worry too much. Just offer to send it back on the dispute and paypal will refund money with a reciept of proof of purchase.

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Tags: