Legalities of hgh level brake lights

Started by uktotty, January 28, 2010, 16:31

uktotty

Anyone know the rules for the third/fourth brake light?
Postion, brightness etc?

mrzwei

ukmot.com is worth a visit but comes up with some really 'grey' answers.
'Rear position lights must indicate the presense and width of the vehicle (no mention of height) and can be combined with stop lamps)'
Must be something somewhere about the requirements to get a kit car approved.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

roger

Quote from: "mrzwei"ukmot.com is worth a visit but comes up with some really 'grey' answers.
'Rear position lights must indicate the presense and width of the vehicle (no mention of height) and can be combined with stop lamps)'
Must be something somewhere about the requirements to get a kit car approved.

I reckon that's ordinary lights, I assume Russ is talking about the centre one, or is he?

I'm guessing must be in centre line (I've seen various heights especially on commercials) and to play safe make same wattage as normal break lights.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

uktotty

yes Roger its the middle one, thinking about one in the centre of the 2 rear lights

roger

Quote from: "uktotty"yes Roger its the middle one, thinking about one in the centre of the 2 rear lights

If that was as well as the other one I would say OK. If it was in place of it, then it really defeats the object of a high level one (which admittedly in cars like ours is a bit pointless anyway), so MAY not be allowed.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrzwei

You can tell I've got little else to do at the moment, but it should all be covered in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989. (I do however wish you luck   s:D :D s:D  ). Lots of questions on other forums about the legality of removal but this seems ok given the mot minimum requirement, and also can it be a flashing one   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   as per cyclists, can they be blue etc. etc. So, yes, a good original question, well presented   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: