Aerial mast does not go down

Started by Anonymous, January 28, 2010, 19:33

Anonymous

Assistance required please!  A couple of months ago my stereo went completely dead when switching on my car.  I also noticed the aerial mast was still up.  A couple of days ago, I got round to replacing the fuse and the stereo started working again.  However, the aerial mast did not move, when I switched the stereo off and on.  I have noticed that there is a small noise from the aerial for about a second when I either switch off the stereo or change it to cd mode.  This should suggest that there is a still a connection there.  I only replaced the aerial 2 years ago with another standard one, so I shouldn't expect it to be damaged although I may be wrong.  Is there a function on the stereo or another change of fuse which could get it working again?

Please advise

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Suggestion:

Try taking the chrome screw off the  top of the aerial, leaving  the radio on attempt to pull the mast up and out.  It should come out all the way, examine the long white plastic "snake" at the end of the mast.  It's a possibility that its broken! ( although at two years old...?).

When you switch the radio off the aerial motor should pull the mast down by pulling the geared "snake" round the motor.

If the snakes intact, I would apply some grease, push it down the aerial as far as it will go, then switch the radio off, hopefully it will pull the mast down.

If the snakes knackered, you can buy a mast from Mr T for about £40!!

Hope this helps.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Bit more info here,if you do go down the repair route then keep the blob small as when I had a large blob at the end of the teeth it was noisy so did repair with small blob and I get no noise.  l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21029&p=307536&hilit=+aerial#p307536 l

Tags: