New Roadster owner can't find lights buzzer!

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2010, 16:46

Anonymous

Hi all,

I recently bought a 200 MR2 with SMT on impulse really.  Told the wife I was test driving a Yaris and got carried away...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  That's why she likes to supervise when I go shopping!

Anyway, the other day when I parked at work, I glanced back to find I'd left my lights on.  But there hadn't been a buzzer to warn me.  I've searched in these forums but can only find reference to people who want to shut it up!  Anyway, does anyone know where it's located and how to diagnose if it's been disabled?

Thanks!

mrzwei

I think you will find that there isn't a lights buzzer. There is a 'key left in the ignition' buzzer and, for the SMT, 'I think I'm in reverse' buzzer, so, flat battery stuff.

'Edit' Sorry, I'll just take that back, there is a lights on buzzer, sorry.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Thanks for that.  So do you think someone's disconnected it because it annoyed them?

mrzwei

All the handbook says is: 'The buzzer will sound if the headlight switch is left on and the drivers door is opened with the key removed from the ignition switch'
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

roger

Quote from: "DragonEd"Thanks for that.  So do you think someone's disconnected it because it annoyed them?

Not sure what else it might operate but this is covered by the GAUGE fuse. If you open the cover in the console by the passenger door you will see 3 strips of fuses. You want the last but one on the LH first strip. Might be worth checking that out to see if its there or perhaps broke.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Thanks Roger.  I'll have a look as soon as I can skive off work    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I don't think that it is the fuse you suggested Roger.  The GAUGE fuse is intact.  I've looked through a "light reminder and key reminder" circuit diagram and it looks like the buzzer is located in the instrument cluster.  When I bought the car, I found that a self-tapping screw was missing from the cluster when I replaced a backlight bulb.  So it looks like someone may have disconnected the buzzer internally.

I think I'll take the cluster out for a look-see.

StuM

Quote from: "DragonEd"When I bought the car, I found that a self-tapping screw was missing from the cluster when I replaced a backlight bulb..

Hi there,

I don't wish to scare-monger, but if it looks like the pod has been fiddled with at some point, well worth checking that all the warning lights etc light up as they should when you turn on the ignition.  Unfortunately, dishonest sellers have been known to take out 'Check Engine Light' bulbs etc to mask issues.  

I'm sure yours'll be fine though and hope you find the illusive buzzer!

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Good point Stu.  I'll check that out later.  I've not looked specifically at all of them.  I know the battery and oil lamps go out about 2 seconds after engine start, but not looked specifically at the engine MIL lamp.

roger

Quote from: "DragonEd"I don't think that it is the fuse you suggested Roger.  The GAUGE fuse is intact.  

The buzzer is in the instrument cluster, but according to the manual if

....."Light–on warning system" does not operate, check
1. GAUGE fuse
2. Door courtesy switch (Driver's)
3. Body control system
4. Combination meter
5. Wire harness

So its definitely the fuse, just its not the fuse causing the problem.

This is what it says about the Door switch, though what would would make the buzzer not work, not quite sure.

2. INSPECT DOOR COURTESY SWITCH CONTINUITY
(a) Check that continuity exists between terminal and the
switch body with the switch ON (Switch pin released:
opened door).
(b) Check that no continuity exists between terminal and the
switch body with the switch OFF (Switch pin pushed in:
closed door).
If operation is not as specified, replace the switch.
Roger

Anonymous

Well Stu, it seems that your concern is right.  I took out the cluster and opened it up to find the engine warning lamp (LED-type) has been cut off the pcb.  Dammit!  I'm gonna see if I can get hold of a diagnostic tester to read the trouble code in work and also get hold of a replacement LED to solder on.

I didn't find any evidence of a buzzer in the cluster itself, but a work colleague with a Roadster has said that he's heard the sound of his buzzer appears to be coming from that vicinity, so I'll have a look around for any modules with backed out connectors.

Thanks for the help.  If I figure this out I'll post it.

Gary

ChrisHumes

did you buy from a dealer? if so get it straight back there

Anonymous

Bought it from an independant garage.  I will be visiting them tomorrow, believe me!!  Don't know how the law stands, but I'll see if I can lean on them with the fraud angle...

roger

They'll probably try to blame previous owner - but don't take it, they are responsible.

If nothing else, they have to put it right.
Roger

StuM

Sorry to hear that, disgusting behaviour from someone, be it the garage or the previous owner that offloaded the car.  Not only dishonest, but also potentially dangerous too   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

The garage that sold the car to you must have ultimate responsibility to fix both the cluster lights, and of course the underlying faults.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

uktotty

WOW thats aweful!
Get the code checked and get back down to Arthur Daley and give him some of your mind

mrzwei

Have to agree with that, tell the dealer it's throwing a code, ultimately you don't need the light, you just need the code ie something is wrong with the car you sold me. Sale of goods act and all of that. Most good dealers will sort it out.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Anonymous

Thanks all.  I managed to borrow a diagnostic tester from work and plug it in.  It read 3 codes:

P0135 Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1349 VVTi Actuator Malfunction
P1656 OCV Circuit Malfunction

After a DTC clear, P1656 remained and then P0135 returned after a few miles of driving.  I've printed off some technical service bulletin info and I'm taking them into the dealer today.  I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and let them fix the issues, as they say it was brought in as a part-ex and they're trying to contact the previous owner.  Anyway, my contract is with them and not the previous owner, so I'll be looking to them to resolve it.

Funnily enough, I seem to have pretty much forgotten the original buzzer question in all this!  I still haven't found it...  s:D :D s:D

Tags: