Intermitantly Loosing Speedo

Started by scottee, April 21, 2010, 13:27

scottee

Hi Guys

After a bit of advice, for some random reason my speedo stops working. Its not been working for weeks, then it will work for a few hours then stop again. Also when this happens, the petrol gage seems to be very inaccurate (it will move the fuel level up and down if I go around corners or down a hill), but when the speedo works the gague is perfect. The entire time the rev counter is fine?

Any ideas, I dont even know where to start!

loadswine

Might be an idea to compare notes with Jason. See this thread  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29259 l

He experienced something similar with his speedo a few days back.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

muffdan

Haven't sorted my issue yet. Going to get it looked at in the next couple of weeks!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

mrzwei

By no means an expert on this but normally if an instrument malfunctions it is either the sensor to it or the receiver of the signal. The fact that you have a problem with two instruments probably means that it is not a sensor issue (I can't see how the speedo sensor can link to the fuel guage). What they have in common is the requirement for an earth so that may be the issue. (I've got a really annoying rh indicator problem which is essentially just a bad earth and had a similar thing with towing electrics on the Saab). The earth to the instrument panel can't really be the issue if the rev counter works normally. Don't know whether or not they share a common fuse which is giving intermitant contact.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

scottee

Yea I was thinking earth or sensor but figured that because the rev count worked fine it wouldnt be that? I might take a look at the earth anyway, and maybe replace the fuse?

scottee

Actually i forgot to mention that randomly (but not linked to the speedo) i've had a few times where its dropped to 3 cylinders, but i figured that was more down to a faulty plug/coil which I was going to replace

mrzwei

Actually just been caught out on my lawnmower when I thought it was the coil, not the plug. You can switch the plugs to check I think.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

cclarke99

It's hard to tell from the wiring diagrams what they all do, but there are one brown and three white/black earth wires to the instrument assembly, definitely worth checking them. There are also 4 fuses - ECU-B, GAUGE, RADIO 2 and I/UP, although I would have thought that only the first two would have any effect on your problem

Tags: