My new ICE install.

Started by stargazer30, May 8, 2010, 12:06

stargazer30

Hey Guys,

Been running a blapunkt active sub in the MR2 along with Focal A1s driven off a basic Kenwood HU.  I was very happy with the sub but despite trying the graphic every which way the Focal's never sounded better than average.  Considering they are not exactly cheap speakers that's not so good   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    So I decided to try amping them.  The problem was my HU only has one pre out and I didn't want to have two separate Amps either, so reluctantly I had to take the active sub out.  So I've put in a 4 channel amp instead and built a sub box that fits in the driver side bin.

New Kit
JBL GT5-A604E - 4/3/2 Channel Amplifier £89.99
Cheapy 8" subwoofer £14.99 (all I could afford for now will get a JBL one later   s:) :) s:)  )

One sub box - which cost the grand total of £15 for felt, an ebay mounting post and some bits of wood.

The bin doors and side trim still fit with this box and its just big enough for a decent 8" sub with 5" mounting depth or less.

Here's the amp, a snug fit in the passenger side bin

Really pleased with the result, the Focal's now sound a world better.  They even do decent mid bass now, the tweeters are a little less harsh too.  I recon the HU amp was just too weak to drive them properly what with the crossovers.  

The sub, well it sounds as good as you can expect for £15! does the job for now, but not as good as the blapunkt one I took out.  Will be better once I get a JBL replacement!

So will have my blapunkt active sub up for sale soon, its only a couple of months old!
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

s12vea

The sub box fits well. Bargain set up for the money spent   s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tags: