Subwoofer whine

Started by deadmau5, January 31, 2011, 12:40

deadmau5

I followed Stargazer's 'Stealth Sub install guide' a couple of weekends ago, but now I have a problem. There is a whining noise made by the sub woofer, which gets louder and higher in pitch with an increase in revs. The sub is correctly earthed (I think) to the earthing point at the top of the engine bay. I know it is definitely the sub because when I turn the stereo off, the noise disappears, and there was no whining before it was fitted.

Anyone know what it could be?

Anonymous

Poorly shielded cables is a probable cause of this, as the electrical supply from the car is being passed across magnetically to the wiring for the speakers (piss poor explanation and I know one of the proper electrical techies will be along to correct in a minute!).

Only real fix is to use better quality cables and/or re-route them away from the OEM cables causing the issue.

deadmau5

I used the Blaupunkt supplied ones. Can you insulate existing wires effectively, or is it easier to replace?

markiii

ferrite rings
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

DannyN

Quote from: "markiii"ferrite rings

Correct !
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

s12vea

Could be bad earth. I would check that first..
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tags: