HID kits H7-H4 interchangable

Started by Anonymous, February 21, 2011, 22:08

Anonymous

Looking for some advice as I've made a bit of a boo boo.
I have a facelift car and I've went and bought myself an H4 HID kit  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
I Bought it from Ebay and to try and save some agro with posting it back and explaining my error and hoping that they will be ok with me returning it I was wondering if the H4 can be converted to what I believe to be an H7 low beam I need??

Anybody have experience with the aftermarket HID kits in this respect??
Cheers
Richi

Anonymous

personally i would just get it changed less agro, time , money and less risk of the car going up in flames from doggy wires lol

russcannell

My son bought me an HID kit from ebay for Christmas which was listed as suitable for an MR2. Unfortunately it was for a prefacelift car. Simply went out and bought some H3B (9005) HID bulbs £9.95 6000k 35W to replace the H4's. Its important that you match the wattage to the original kit. So if you have a 55w kit then you need 55w bulbs. Most kits on ebay are 35w ones. The wiring is all plug and play so no worries over getting it wrong.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Cannell
53 MR2 silver with bodykit & carbon spoiler. Hass Turbo 225bhp 260 Nm Torque.

Anonymous

Quote from: "russcannell"My son bought me an HID kit from ebay for Christmas which was listed as suitable for an MR2. Unfortunately it was for a prefacelift car. Simply went out and bought some H3B (9005) HID bulbs £9.95 6000k 35W to replace the H4's. Its important that you match the wattage to the original kit. So if you have a 55w kit then you need 55w bulbs. Most kits on ebay are 35w ones. The wiring is all plug and play so no worries over getting it wrong.

Cheers

Russ

Thats the answer I was hoping for
Have been rooting around on Ebay and hoped that  might be the case.
Is the HB3 ones not for the main beam though?? or was it the main beam you wanted to upgrade??

Cheers

russcannell

Correct HB3 for main ....... Get the 6000k colour. Its the brightest of the lot. Amazing the difference i had 80w rally offroad bulbs and these are in a different league.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Cannell

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies guys.....bit of a newbie question here wouldnt the 55W bulbs be brighter/better??

Cheers

russcannell

Correct they would  be brighter however they also increase the chances of falling foul of mr plod. All aftermarket HID kits are illegal. I think Aaron had a link in his post on this issue. Use the search button to find out more. So why advertise the fact with brighter bulbs. Also if you have them on the dip beam you will more than likely blind oncoming traffic. Tis a chance you take i guess.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Cannell

manchestermatt1986

Ok guys, this maybe a very much a simpleton question but iv been toying with the idea of HID kit, are they really easy to install and are they worth it in your opinions?

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

russcannell

Absolute doddle to fit. I had no problems at all. The difference is amazing. Go for the 6000k kit anything above that is just too blue and dim.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Cannell

Anonymous

i would like to point out to people that all HID's that are retro fitted are illegal regardless of what stamping is on the box and what ever the seller tells you. the reason they are illegal is because the reflectors on the mr2 are set for a halogen bulb so there is no glare and does not effect other road users. when you put HID's in they require a different reflector pattern. and without this reflector pattern they will produce glare and blind other road users. also if you are pulled over by the lovely people in uniform that love to give you a fine just for saying hi then it might cost you more than you were hoping. Also on the bright side tests have been done and even tho HID's are brighter (with correct reflector) in the areas near your car, halogens actually produce more light up front so you can actually see further. just my 2 p's worth but you have been warned.

richard

uktotty

Rich is right, there is some much BS from sellers about HIDs

Are HID's legal?
Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal.  Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe.  That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation.  Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct.  It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.  As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) states that improperly-installed HID's are getting a lot of complaints.  Vendors will usually include a disclaimer that they are intended for offroad use only, but it's no secret that people don't follow this rule.  Now, there are a lot of aftermarket automotive parts that qualify as illegal but aren't strictly enforced.  Logically, the safety implications of blinding oncoming drivers are more serious than, say, an exhaust that exceeds the legal noise level.  So the DOT has actively gone after vendors of HID conversion kits, threatening monetary fines if they continue selling them, and consequently there are now fewer places to buy them.

There have ben many discussions on MR2ROC and most of us HATE them, too bright, blinding tw@t in his corsa coming towards you, what is wrong with Xenons??

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Rich is right, there is some much BS from sellers about HIDs

Are HID's legal?
Installing HID's into a vehicle not originally equipped with them from the factory is technically illegal.  Practically speaking, you stand little chance of being cited for them provided you educate yourself on the requirements of HID lighting and take the necessary steps to ensure you have the right equipment and adjustments to keep it safe.  That is, make sure your vehicle's headlight assembly uses an appropriately designed projector lense (as opposed to a reflector), and of course that your headlights are properly aligned after installation.  Many newer vehicles use projector lenses because stock halogen bulbs also benefit from the "light shaping", but having just any old projector lense does not necessarily ensure that the beam pattern will be correct.  It is absolutely essential for HID's to give the light output a sharp cutoff line to prevent blinding oncoming traffic.  As HID's become more popular, aftermarket projector housings are being produced for some vehicles.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) states that improperly-installed HID's are getting a lot of complaints.  Vendors will usually include a disclaimer that they are intended for offroad use only, but it's no secret that people don't follow this rule.  Now, there are a lot of aftermarket automotive parts that qualify as illegal but aren't strictly enforced.  Logically, the safety implications of blinding oncoming drivers are more serious than, say, an exhaust that exceeds the legal noise level.  So the DOT has actively gone after vendors of HID conversion kits, threatening monetary fines if they continue selling them, and consequently there are now fewer places to buy them.

There have ben many discussions on MR2ROC and most of us HATE them, too bright, blinding tw@t in his corsa coming towards you, what is wrong with Xenons??

as you have pointed out projector lens. just because that is fitted still dont mean it is legal. HID's also have to have self leveling. glad to see im not the only one against them. also for the record the mr2's lights are excellent compared to other motors, like my old truck which would of had a better light output if i put a candle behind the lens.

manchestermatt1986

when you say halogens, do you just mean bulbs? As in i could go buy halogen bulbs tomorrow.

i might sound very dim but i just take the old bulbs when they blow, which are some sort of super white catz and ask to replace them. So i dont know jack about bulbs and never really giv it much thought

Matt
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Anonymous

standard car bulbs are halogen bulbs

skinz

Soo... to summarise:

Halogens - are the standard bulbs? - these give off a yellowish warm light

Xenons - are aftermarkets which can be bought E-marked, and depending on what your looking for you can get these tinted (purple/blue etc)

HID's - good if they come standard, pita if aftermarket-fitted - common probs are people fitting them wrong and blinding everyone and nowadays an mot fail unless standard - save urself the cash and hassel and just upgrade to xenons for a brighter light.

Anonymous

Quote from: "russcannell"My son bought me an HID kit from ebay for Christmas which was listed as suitable for an MR2. Unfortunately it was for a prefacelift car. Simply went out and bought some H3B (9005) HID bulbs £9.95 6000k 35W to replace the H4's. Its important that you match the wattage to the original kit. So if you have a 55w kit then you need 55w bulbs. Most kits on ebay are 35w ones. The wiring is all plug and play so no worries over getting it wrong.

Cheers

Russ

Got some Ebay bulbs in....cheers for the tip.....all plug and play stuff and works fine.
Wee tip for anybody fitting a kit to H7 dipped lights though.....the existing H7 bulb holders will need to be modified to fit the new HID bulbs.

Tags: