Aerial power after fitting new stereo

Started by Anonymous, March 5, 2011, 14:54

Anonymous

Hey Guys,

So i put today aside to fit a new double din DVD/SAT NAV/blue tooth/radio, after following the stereo removal guides on here i got the stock unit out and went to install the new one, i found a universal toyota to ISO adaptor and pluged it all in, all working fine except .... the aerial now doesnt come up so i cant get radio  s:( :( s:(  how will i cope a full day of work without chris Moyles in the morning! lol

So when i fit the toyota to iso cable it only uses 2 of the four plugs, (power and speakers) im guessing one of the other 2 plugs must be the aerial power, my first though was to use a paperclip to short the pins but then the aerial would always be up right? any help on where i can get adaptors to include all the plugs (no idea what the big long plug does so if anyone could tell me that would be great too) see a pic of the plugs underneath ...

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Methinks there is wiring diagram on here somewhere,try a search and establish the colour of the original Mr T Aerial wire.

Worth a try.

Failing that, check out Liz's new aerial "How To" in an attempt to establish the colour of the aerial wire in the pics, then trace it back.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Has nobody else had this problem? I assumed there would be an adaptor to buy to do this?

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Just a thought, have you checked to see if there's fuse for the electric aerial and that it's ok....from memory ( it was a couple of years ago when I swapped the head) the there was no one  separate electrical aerial plug but I could be wrong...

The other thought was the coax from the aerial will be more or less paired with the wire, look to where the coax disappears and see if you identify the wire that way.

If all else fails, someone with more knowledge will be along shortly and make my suggestions seem crude!!

Have a nice remaining Saturday.

B
W. B. Webster

cclarke99

The black wire in the original Toyota loom controls the aerial. You need to find the equivalent wire from your headunit. If it isn't shown in the instructions just look for a wire which goes to 12V when the radio is on.

Anonymous

The fuse is fine, I've put the original stereo back in for now and the aerial is working, it's not so much tracing the wires as I have no where to plug all of the plugs into when converting to iso. Realised my paperclip idea wouldn't work anyway as the aerial takes it's power for the motor from that plug too.

wbarrwebster

Hi again,

From memory, there are spare plugs in the Mr T wiring, I think the idea was that it gave you several options and you don't necessarily use them all..
We've established that the aerial is working, the issue is power from your new HO to energise the aerial wire?

While I accept that it may be a pain to do, what about refitting the new HU, get the plugs in and test the aerial wire from the HU?
There is normally a wiring diagram on the HU or with the bumph to identify the wires. There are what..say basically 13 wires from the HU:
8NO Pos/Neg wires for the Speakers, 1NO Bat live, 1NO Ign live, 1NO Ground, 1 NO Aerial and possibly 1NO illumination, the speaker wires are easily identified....  and I'm sure the rest can be established.

If you got a problem identifying the HU wires, Google wiring on the make of the unit, methinks the colour of the wire will come up!

IMHO you are not far away from a fix..( I know, easy for me to say!)

Clarky, your turn....

Ora best,

B
W. B. Webster

cclarke99

There is an aerial wire on the ISO standard power connector, which should be connected to the Toyota aerial wire. My information refers to a 2000 US spec car, and there seem to be two standards, but I think there's a post somewhere with the later standard. You may have to cut the wires and make your own connection if its not in the adaptor.

ISO information below

m http://www.davidsonelectronics.co.uk/pinouts.htm m

Anonymous

in the case of aftermarket head units ive not found one that has an electic arial wire however they all did have a 12v out wire for sub remotes etc. its this wire normally blue/white that i connected my arial to. if you know the wire to arial control box connect it to this wire and up it will go when the head unit is on and down when it is off.

richard

zipimini

The aftermarket units usually have a plain yellow for the aerial. Sometimes tagged with 'aerial'  or 'antenna'. The last two I've bought both have this wire available.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Don't want to contradict anyone but in my experience Aerial wire was always blue, yellow is invariably the constant (Battery) live.
If I remember correctly, certainly on an ISO plug!

B
W. B. Webster

Wabbitkilla

I dunno, I just used a Halfrauds ISO adaptor for the head unit and the aerial works.
Sounds to me that your adaptor is the incorrect one for the car  s:? :? s:?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I dunno, I just used a Halfrauds ISO adaptor for the head unit and the aerial works.
Sounds to me that your adaptor is the incorrect one for the car  s:? :? s:?

the cheats way lol

blue for the aerial and yellow for batt live if done the mans way ( ie hard way and wire it up  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Anonymous

I am also dealing with this type of problem. After visiting this post i think now i also got good solution for my problem. Because i was also confused with the wires which is attached to the antenna. I would definitely look forward to it.

aerial services | aerial installer

paulkeen

Quote from: "beanyjon"Hey Guys,

So i put today aside to fit a new double din DVD/SAT NAV/blue tooth/radio, after following the stereo removal guides on here i got the stock unit out and went to install the new one, i found a universal toyota to ISO adaptor and pluged it all in, all working fine except .... the aerial now doesnt come up so i cant get radio  s:( :( s:(  how will i cope a full day of work without chris Moyles in the morning! lol

So when i fit the toyota to iso cable it only uses 2 of the four plugs, (power and speakers) I'm guessing one of the other 2 plugs must be the aerial power, my first though was to use a paperclip to short the pins but then the aerial would always be up right? any help on where i can get adaptors to include all the plugs (no idea what the big long plug does so if anyone could tell me that would be great too) see a pic of the plugs underneath ...

Out of interest, what DVD/SAT NAV/Blue tooth/radio did you get? Any good? I have been looking at them bu tthey get mixed reviews.

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi Pal,

Did you buy the adaptor which converts the toyota leads to your head unit?

Its this thing:

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65855#tab1 m

But buy it off ebay for a couple of £.

- It could be that your missing this, If you have got it - check the BLACK wire for any malicious damage - this links to your Aerial.
- It could be a dodgy connection on the back of your head unit
- It could be your Aerial has packed up (Unlikely)
- It could be the relay under the bins behind the car. - Make sure the cable hasnt come out of it.

Russel Nash

I have removed my factory HU today and confirmed the aerial power wire is the BLACK which is on the right hand side connector on the lower bank of three, bottom row of pins, 3rd aperture from the right. I confirmed this by taking a 12v feed wire off the cigarette lighter connector and touching the black wire pin on the loom and hey presto, the aerial goes up, remove wire and aerial goes down. Hope this helps.
 m http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... MG9310.jpg m  
 m http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... MG9308.jpg m

Russel Nash

see above

Tags: