Advice on ICE

Started by ayresyboy, November 3, 2011, 16:26

ayresyboy

I have purchased an excellently made 6" UD sub box from a certain member on here.  s;-) ;-) s;-)   This will be paired with the recommended JL Audio 6W3v3 6" subwoofer.

I already have a Pioneer FH-P80BT double din head unit and some flashing tape.

Now I need advice on the amp and the speakers.

I want to try and keep the costs down but still get a good level of quality.  With that in mind I have provisionally chosen:

- Edge Street ED306 component speakers

- Edge Street ED7800 amplifier

I know the amp is recommended for the speakers.  But what about the Sub?  Will this be powered OK?  

Sub
6.5" subwoofer
4 Ohm
Mineral-filled polypropylene cone
Nitrile-butylene rubber surround
Power range: 40-150 watts RMS
Peak power handling: 300 watts
Frequency response: 30-300 Hz
Sensitivity: 80.49 dB
Top-mount depth: 4-3/16"
Sealed box volume: 01005 cubic feet

Speakers
Speaker Size: 6.5" (165mm)
RMS Power: 80 watts
Peak Power: 240 watts
Mounting Depth: 57mm

Amp
Type: 4/3/2 channel
4 ohm stereo 4 x 160 watts Max
4 ohm stereo 4 x 80 watts RMS
2 ohm stereo 4 x 100 watts RMS
4 ohm mono 2 x 200 watts RMS
Max Power: 800 watts

Hopefully this will be quite a tidy little system for a low cost.  What does everyone think?  Any recommendations on changes?

Andy
SW20 Gen4 Turbo // SW20 1MZ V6

markiii

never heard of edge
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

s12vea

Made by vibe / fli
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

stargazer30

Quote from: "markiii"never heard of edge

UK brand I believe, same sort of quality as JBL/Vibe.  For budget speakers they aren't half bad.  You'd need to pay > £100 for components to beat them.

The HU, I've had that pioneer HU before and in an MR2.  Its a good HU, it actually can drive a sub bridged directly off the rear channel which is very rare!  However no way it'll drive the JL Sub.

The Edge Amp I have not used but based on its RMS output its about the same as my JBL amp so it should do just fine.

You'll need a box for the Sub - see NathanMR2!!!

Also make sure you sound deaden your doors or the speakers will sound naff.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

nathanMR2

I thought there was a link with vibe somewhere

Would appear theres mixed reviews on the speakers. Ive seen someone suggest their standard speakers were better  s:? :? s:?

Ive been impressed with my kappa infinity's and im sure i picked mine for not much more than those
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Tommygun1

Fitted these speakers last night and they are great for the money . Amp was going to be my next question for the panel to answer lol

Lippy

For amplifier it doesnt need to match the speakers at all! just needs to be a 2 channel amp thats ideally small due to car size. The speakers you have bought dont need oodles of power to drive them but the more they get the better they will sound... to a point.

example my speakers are 80 watt RMS and my amp is 4x75 RMS sounds fine on 2x75 but if I change it to 2x140 they do sound a fair bit better but im pushing the boundary's if played too loud poss...

if speakers are 60 RMS then try and get that value or a little bit more for best results.

Alpine are very nice amps for vocals and so are Genesis
both fairly expensive but in my oppinion better to buy the right thing first time around, depends on budget I guess which I dont think you put?

sub is a perfect choice imo as they sound quality but not boomy which in an mr2 I can see would be quite easy
Ex SP240 Owner, looking for another boosted '2

Steve Green

Quote from: "Curley13"Hi All, I'm writing on behalf of my brother as his got a Audi A4 54 plate, his bulbs when driving aren't bright enough so I thought i'd head down the HID route. The car already has projector headlights so they just need the HID Kit I assume, has anyone got an idea of what bulb fitting goes into the headlights?

I realise you are a new member but two mistakes in one post?
First its in the wrong thread, where In Car Entertainment is the topic nout HID's
Second, I guess the search button was broken when you tried a search for HID. Its working now, and it tells me they are illegal.

Have fun on the forum.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

ayresyboy

Could some helpful chaps post some pics up of the soundproofing on the insides of their doors?

I have some Wickes flashing tape and need a bit of guidance on how much to stick and where.  Cheers  :-) :-) :-)

DannyN

Stick it to the internal metal skin of the door, basically the piece of metal thats got the shiny paint on you need to put it on the other side of the paint.
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

AckersMR2

Here you go:
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=144#p440729

Basically just cover as much of the door skin as you can, if you feel along the bottom of the inside of the door there are some drain holes so make sure you don't cover those. You'll see theres a crash bar half way up, I just stuck the stuff above and below it. I used 150mm x 10m of tape and pretty much used it all on both door skins and the insides of the door cards.
My only car is a Ducati 

stargazer30

Quote from: "ayresyboy"Could some helpful chaps post some pics up of the soundproofing on the insides of their doors?

I have some Wickes flashing tape and need a bit of guidance on how much to stick and where.  Cheers  :-) :-) :-)

The only pic I have is from my install thread where I did the minimum just covering the holes.  Assuming you have plenty of tape you need to do the whole door panel (metal bit).  Put at least a square of flashing behind the speaker too onto the inside of the outer door metal.  If you have enough after doing both doors do the door card too, again ideally the whole inner card but if not all the bits where the plastic meets the metal door.  If you have some, a little bit clear silicone on each plastic stud that connects the door car to the door will help stop them rattling.

You can't go wrong with the flashing, the more you use the better it will sound.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

DannyN

Get a roll, unroll it out on the floor, fold it in half and cut it, then use one half for each door.
Just cut it to strips and stick it to the door skin, no need to do the holes better to put more on the skin
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

walt

As mentioned already, Genesis amps are about as good as they get. The last range that genesis did before they folded, were the profile range, designed to keep size to a minimum without compromise on sound quality. Genesis worked along side DLS for a while and the DLS Ultimate range and the series 3 Genesis amps are pretty much the same from what I can remember. A lot of cheaper amps state figures of wattage that are exaggerated in order to keep up with all the other cheap brands who do the same. Don't be fooled by the rms power ratings on Genesis amps. They are a quality item. They will blow all other amps into the weeds.. As someone stated earlier, buy the right amp now and buy it once. It sounds to me that you already had in mind the system you were going to install and asked the question for some reassurance, so I apologise for suggesting other things, however if I were about to do what you are setting out to do, it would be a Genesis amp for me.. I have just finished a build in my mk1 golf which has 2 DLS ultimate A5 amps and they are incredible. Like I said, they are pretty much the same amp as the Genesis series 3 only the Genesis ones were touched by the hand of Gordon Taylor, the man responsible for Genesis amplifiers. They have something of a cult status now and there is a chap who services and polishes them, so even second hand ones can still look great in a show car install.. Do some Googling and get a Genesis, you won't look back.   s:D :D s:D

Jepson246

I have just blown my drivers speaker and am in need of a quick fix.  Budget is tight and i need to get them by friday so Halfrauds is pretty much my only option, i have cast my eye over these Edge speakers and for the price they look pretty decent.  I just want to know if they will definatley fit as the standard speakers are 16.5cm?? and these are 17cm.  Will it still work to use the mount the stock speakers are on??

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65870#tab1 m  

Cheers
Hannah
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

AckersMR2

To be honest if you can get a component set with separate crossovers instead of built in like I think the edge ones are then that would be a better bet, but any things better than stock  :-) :-) :-)

The size is fine and you can use your OE speaker mounts but you'll just have to gut the old speakers from them and cut out the middles, no big job, 10 mins with a junior hacksaw, while your at it and if you can stretch to it it's well worth getting yourself down to wickes for a roll of roof flashing tape, 10m x 150mm £10-15, use this to line the door skins, makes a big difference to the sound, but in this weather you'll need a hair dryer to warm up the tape and help the tack soften and stick  :-) :-) :-)
My only car is a Ducati 

Jepson246

Yeah think ill definately get the flashing tape, why not while the door cards are off.  Yeh just want a quick replacement really, if they will fit then i will probably get them as a quick fix and get a better set up when i have more time and money.  s:) :) s:)   Cheers.
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

stargazer30

Quote from: "Jepson246"I have just blown my drivers speaker and am in need of a quick fix.  Budget is tight and i need to get them by friday so Halfrauds is pretty much my only option, i have cast my eye over these Edge speakers and for the price they look pretty decent.  I just want to know if they will definatley fit as the standard speakers are 16.5cm?? and these are 17cm.  Will it still work to use the mount the stock speakers are on??

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65870#tab1 m  

Cheers
Hannah

Yes they will fit. If you look at my posts you can see pics of them fitted.  If they are still about £35 they are as good as you'll get for that money.  If you can stretch to £65, Phonocar do a component set with full passive crossovers.  After that for £90 go for focal A165s.

Jepson246

Yeh ill def get them then. They are on offer at the moment so £30 which is a bargain. All I'm really looking to spend. Cheers guys!
[/size]

trickyD

Back to topic  s;) ;) s;)

I think the amp is probably fine, the RMS figures look generous enough, though there is no 3 channel mode listed. I guess you could work it out as Mono (200w RMS) plus one stereo (). Quite what level of distortion they allow at those figures we will never know!
I'd be tempted to try a 3 channel Alpine, even if it was second hand off the bay....or a JBL one for the same money as the edge.

Speakers wise I was put off Edge due to some negative posts. I'm sure they are just fine but for £40 you can get JBL components online, £50-£60 should get infinity reference which i rate very high and for £70-£80 on eBay you can get brand new Focal Access - which nobody will dispute are the  sbollox bollox sbollox  for that money!

Spending a bit more on speakers will yield great gains.

IMHO!
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

ayresyboy

m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/focal-a ... 65-a1.html m

So we reckon these componets are the best out there for the money at the mo?  I didn't buy any door speakers yet so I'm wondering if I should get these.

trickyD

Yes.
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: