MD changer (Now with pictures!)

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2004, 22:42

Anonymous

m http://www.ukaudioshop.com/product.asp?pID=1583&cID=4 m
or

m http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetai ... =3_74_1819 m  

I WANT I WANT I WANT

Don't suppose anyone has one?

Or know if it will connect to the Sony that is standard in Y2k models?

Where could I install it (No smutty jokes before anyone tries).

While I'm here anyone dealt with these guys b4 -  m http://www.ukaudioshop.com m  

Cheers Martin

SteveJ

Yes it will connect to the standard Sony double-DIN head unit (and just about every other Sony HU too)

I used to have one but I sold it someone on here a while back and it used to live in the rear bin behind the passenger seat

Anonymous

SteveJ - cheers mate. I am well tempted now. Did it need any special fixing in the bin? How big are they?

Cheers.

Doubt halfords will have them in...

SteveJ

Quote from: "TheRaven"SteveJ - cheers mate. I am well tempted now. Did it need any special fixing in the bin? How big are they?

Cheers.

Doubt halfords will have them in...

I stuck mine in with double sided sticky pads - the unit is fairly light and compact. Not sure what to compare it's size to, but I guess 2 of the flip-top cases that packs of MD's come in side by side would be pretty close

Anonymous

I have looked at getting one myself.I think this would be a nice addition to my install and think that aint a bad price. I think if had one i would put in glove box as only thing i store in there is CD's and this thing would potentialy hold 24 albums!

Anonymous

Glove box! good idea. Better than messing behind the seats.

Anyone know if it would scroll the track names on the WX-C570R HU?

Anonymous

i think it will, ity has CD text so same priciple for MD

dancarbon

Quote from: "SteveJ"I used to have one but I sold it someone on here a while back and it used to live in the rear bin behind the passenger seat
That would be me then  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Now it lives in the glove box, it's a little tight getting the bottom disc in but at least there's no sacrificing useful rear space. Getting the phone and Din leads in the back of the Head Unit was a pain, find someone with thin fingers!

Would definately suggest you invest in the remote controller, it's great having the controls right next to the wheel.

Oh, and yes it does scroll the track names too.  s:D :D s:D  

DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

For anyone who is interested...

m http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/shop.p ... roduct=395 m

Best I can find as Dabs.com don't have it in for 2-4 weeks!

Anyone used these guys before?

I can feel the money trying to escape from my wallet. Of course the speakers will need uprating too!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

What about a Sony CDX-T70MX.... used to have one in my old car... only six dics, so nice and slim, but will quite happily take 6 CDRW's with MP3s on.... which is lots and lots of audio, and certainly more than 6LP Minidiscs.  

I combined it with an MD head unit, so that I could listen to "dance" tunes, 'cause the Mp3s caused track gaps.

Bongo

Quote from: "TheRaven"Best I can find as Dabs.com don't have it in for 2-4 weeks!
Anyone used these guys before?

I've used dabs before for PC stuff and never had a problem.

Anonymous

Yeah. My brother got his pc from dabs.

Just that the MD changer is not normally stock so has to be ordered.

Anonymous

I've ordered oodles of stuff from Dabs (have many dabs mugs to show for it), and never had any problems at all.... even when I had to return stuff.

Anonymous

Dabs were my first choice as

A) they are the cheapest I've found and
B) I could pick it up in person.

Alas they said it would need ordering and I am the impatient type.

Went to Halfords today. Didn't have the unit in (it was £330 anyway). I asked when they could order it and they said a week or so. Then having spotted the huge "we will match any price" signs on the way in I asked if they could match my price - no problem. I was about to see the look of shock when I told him it was 215ish when he said the offer doesn't apply to stock they have to order!! So close.

Still, if you want something they have in stock... Worth a try.

Looks like I'll be getting it on the Internet thingy. Still would appreciate pics or any extra advice from anyone who has one installed.

Cheers ---

Anonymous

So I got one.

All I can say is well worth it!

As you can see it fits in the glove box with room for wallet, camera etc..

The install is very easy (I have the standard double din for Y2K cars).

Biggest tip is to install the phono (coloured cables) from the drivers side as it easier despite the steering wheel.

There is also a metal flap that you can bend to help with the bus cable (it bends back again).

Also, the glove box comes out very easily if you open it fully and pull towards you. Goes back ok too!
Got it from  m http://www.cel-direct.com m  Cheapest by miles. They had a powered sony sub in a box that may fit in the storage bins. Just need better speakers now!

Major thanks to MRMike for pointing me in their direction and for hosting the pics.

Disclaimer: I know sweet fa about ICE so if something is wrong let me know.

dancarbon

Quote from: "TheRaven"Also, the glove box comes out very easily if you open it fully and pull towards you. Goes back ok too!
That's good to know if I ever get round to securing it properly  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I plan to find something to use to angle the unit up (a wedge shape) so that there's easier access to the bottom discs, just looking for some suitable material.

DC
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

MRMike

Looks excellent mate as I said before..I'll have to pop down and have a butchers.

Buster could you get the Sony one to work with a Pioneer HU, as I can remember there being problems with the Sony CD changers only communicating with Sony HU's?  Not heard about the MD changers as they are so 'exclusive'  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

they connect using teh same BUS architecture that the sony CD changers use, so I imagine teh same problems would ensue.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

I thought as much Mark, the Sony one is not only easily the nicest, it's also the cheapest.  Oh well I'll have to look for another way

Cheers
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tags: