Advice required for set up of Genesis amp

Started by lemans, March 5, 2013, 22:39

lemans

I have acquired a Genesis profile four amp which I want to use with my existing double din HU and Focal speakers

At this time I just want to use it to run the 2 door speakers (perhaps later adding a small UD sub).  I have read all the posts I can find on here but I am still a little confused on how best to set it up. The instructions I downloaded for the amp only show a set up with four speakers or  two plus a sub (bridged)

1) My head unit has 4 preouts - do I have to connect all four to the amp if I am only using 2 speakers?
2) I know I could bridge the two speakers but that would put 140w through speakers rated for 100w max. So can I run the amp just on Input/outputs 1&2 leaving 3&4 unused?
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

dfresa

Just run one set to the amp and connect it to the speakers. 3 & 4 can stay unused and nothing bad will happen. Also remember genesis power ratings are all rms so ensure you keep the gain quite low as the focals are only 50/60Wrms whilst the amp can hit 90Wrms if I remember rightly.

Run the other set of pre-outs to the to the amp too but don't connect them.  Tape them up and leave them out the way (stops them shorting out).  This will save you time if, or when, you decide to use the other channel.

stargazer30

Thats pretty much it.  Only thing to add, set the amp to flat and use the HP filter on the HU.  For now the HU high pass will be off until you get the UD sub.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

lemans

Quote from: "stargazer30"Thats pretty much it.  Only thing to add, set the amp to flat and use the HP filter on the HU.  For now the HU high pass will be off until you get the UD sub.

Thanks David

And I've just put dibs on an UD sub from Markiii.  So I can add the sub sooner than expected.  Just need to finance the driver.

Daryl
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

Quote from: "dfresa"Just run one set to the amp and connect it to the speakers. 3 & 4 can stay unused and nothing bad will happen. Also remember genesis power ratings are all rms so ensure you keep the gain quite low as the focals are only 50/60Wrms whilst the amp can hit 90Wrms if I remember rightly.

Run the other set of pre-outs to the to the amp too but don't connect them.  Tape them up and leave them out the way (stops them shorting out).  This will save you time if, or when, you decide to use the other channel.

Thanks dfresa

I suspected that the bridging would be a step too far for the speakers with the amp being such good quality. See my other post about the sub box. I may be using the other channels soon too.

As another question, did anyone get one of these to fit under the passenger seat successfully.  It looks a very tight fit (cooling issues) and there are some cables in the way.  I am considering the option of velcroing the amp behind the passenger seat under the luggage space doors. Don't want to compromise space for holidays.

Daryl
Daryl

Tags: