Newbie question. what features has the 04 '2 got???

Started by Anonymous, June 11, 2004, 20:08

Anonymous

hey there can any uk owners tell me what the new 04 style '2 has got????? I understant that it has an imoboliser, etc.... what type of alarm???? what are the features of the alarm???? Anyone got he manual online????

Also how does the stereo rate????? what are the features?

kanujunkie

for the stereo read fisher price, it would have to be your first mod, but it would get you going for a while.

Get one, you'll never regret it, their gr8  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

ha h ahaha, yeah ive read that the stereo isnt that good...... but anything has to be better than the crappy stereo thats in my toyota yaris.

Whats the sound like on the stock stereo. im not after boy racer type bass and sound just a reasonable sound.

Anonymous

The low down of the 2 is:

alarm is not very good!
Imobiliser dose the job but better out there
H/U is less than to be disirerd
speaker better with carbord speakers ( oh hold on they are   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )
all other electrics is fine

Anonymous

well all i want is a stereo system like my parents have in their car... its the old mazda 323F..... clarion system very nice and all stock.

As long as it has an alarm and imobiliser then thats ok..... whats H/U???

What features does the alarm have, i read somewhere about mr2 alarms having delay functions that will automatically lock the doors after a few seconds etc.

kanujunkie

H/U  -  Head Unit
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Also can someone confirm that the 2004 model (which i know is the 2003) does actually have a 6 speed manual gearbox.... and not just 6 speed in the smt

Anonymous

thanks stu..... well aslong as the sounds pretty decent then im not bothered.... does anyone know the cost of the upgrade for the stereo and also if it effects the insurance.

Anonymous

2004 model does indeed come with the 6 speed box...well mine did  s;) ;) s;)

Slacey

Quote from: "MR2Roadster".... well aslong as the sounds pretty decent then im not bothered.... does anyone know the cost of the upgrade for the stereo and also if it effects the insurance.
Cost is totally dependant on you - I paid around £200 for the H/U and £130 for the speakers, which all told gave great results, but there are cheaper options available to suit your budget. Insurance generally isn't affected, as most companies 'allow' a sound system upgrade with no charge, but as always, check with them first.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Darth Paul

'04 has lots of annoying beeps.  s:x :x s:x

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Darth Paul"'04 has lots of annoying beeps.  s:x :x s:x

wondered when this would crop up!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Beeps?????

Anonymous

Have a look in the General section for Darth Paul's (and others) love of beeps  s;) ;) s;)

Still can't get the seatbelt beep on mine  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

i know this is probably the daftest question but what good is upgrading the H/U

I know that adding and amp and upgrading the speakers will improve it but what will changing the h/u do?????

Also does anyone know which autochanger is compatible with the 04 stock audio system

Anonymous

By changing/upgrading the H/U the idea is that you will get a better sound as the stock H/U is likely to be a cheap unit with poor componentry on every level; amplification, signal processing, etc.

By upgrading to a better/more expensive H/U you should get better internal componentry (as well as design, layout and integration of all the internal gubbins) and hence better sound. For example a £40 Matsui mini hi-fi may not sound as good as a £200 Denon equivalent (not that I'm a fan of mini hi-fi's, but they have their place!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ). However, this is not always the case - which is why it is always best to shortlist and then demo any piece of audio (or for that matter visual) equipment that you are considering purchasing.

Here endeth my sermon - hope it helped!   s:D :D s:D

BTW, I think the Sony CD autochangers work on the stock H/U (like the CDX T69 or CDX 656), however a wiring adapter may be needed - I'm sure someone else here will know this for certain.

markiii

his stock head unit isn't a sony though so it won't.

While I'm sure we are all more than happy to help you out, you would allow us to do a lot less typing if you did a search of teh audio forum.

questions like the benefits of changing teh head unit have been covered on many many occasions and there is loads of info in here.

it also makes it easier on the next person to search if they don't have to wade through a million duplicating posts. If there is something specific that isn't covered just ask  :-) :-) :-)

ref the changer I beleive thats also about somewhere, but to help narrow it a bit, teh stock HU is a rebadged Matsuhita (Panasonic) so one of those woudl be your best bet.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Just as an aside - Ben from this club is selling his Sony H/U on ebay at present - at least it looks better that the 04 Fisher price one, going cheap at moment - or it was.  I recognise it as Ben selling because he pipped me on the head unit adapter that was for sale on there!

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW m
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"his stock head unit isn't a sony though so it won't.

DOH!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Soz - forgot it's an '04 car we're talking about!

filcee

Quote from: "MR2Roadster"what will changing the h/u do?????

To my ears, the stock unit in the '03/'04 models wasn't good enough.  As I heard it, it was short on bass, treble, detail and volume.  If you consider that (arguably) the most important component in any audio set up is the one that retrieves then information from the recorded material, then, if it doesn't do it's job properly - doesn't get all of the information - any component further down the line (amp, speakers, etc.) will not be able to recreate, interpret or otherwise that piece of missing data.  Amps and speakers can only amplify & reproduce what they are given - if it didn't get put on the wire, you'll never hear it.  Hence, in a car, the head unit is the most critical bit of kit as it is responsible for retrieving the data (then amplifying it for the speakers), the theory is, a better head unit will do a better job of retrieving the data, and then amplifying it.

Having said all of that, audio kit is a very subjective thing.  The best head unit is the one that sounds best to your ears (usually at your budget  s;-) ;-) s;-)  ).  I second the advice of Mr 2 (above) to go and listen to/demo stuff before parting with any cash.

For what it's worth, I replaced mine with a CD-based MP3 player, and even using MP3 files, it sounds better than the stock unit.  I am still using the stock speakers, and I'm happy with the sound (though occasionally I wish I had an under dash sub, or perhaps Coley's bass-luggage-bin set up).

Good luck with your search for better sounds.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

MRMike

Quote from: "MR2Roadster"i know this is probably the daftest question but what good is upgrading the H/U

I know that adding and amp and upgrading the speakers will improve it but what will changing the h/u do?????

Also does anyone know which autochanger is compatible with the 04 stock audio system

An amp will improve the power, not necessarily the clarity.  TBO I went a bit overboard with my speakers, and I have a 275 watt amp powering them.  And the fact of the matter is they are just too powerful for the door frames, at any moderate volume.  I've dynamatted everywhere, and now I've narrowed it down to the windows rattling when they're down.  Highly irritating. So in retrospect I wouldn't bother with an amp for your components, as you won't be able to make use of the extra power IMO.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Just as an aside - Ben from this club is selling his Sony H/U on ebay at present - at least it looks better that the 04 Fisher price one, going cheap at moment - or it was.  I recognise it as Ben selling because he pipped me on the head unit adapter that was for sale on there!

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WDVW m

Um, wonder if that will fit in mine, I have the same yukkie HU in the Sillycar that I had in the 2

markiii

yes it will, pre-03 celicas had teh sony as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

cool, thanks for the advice. Ive seena lovely new head unit which plays cds, mp3s and digital radio. So i might splash out on that with the rest of the system stock. Then if its not good enough then buy a new amp and speakers.

Does anyone know what is the power of the stock speakers????

Also if i upgrade the speakers does this mean cutting holes in the doors????? or can you get speakers that are the same size?????

thanks

markiii

I'm going to sound like a cracked record, but it's amazing how quickly you can find answers to questions liek that, and in teh same forum too  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144 m

Tags: