Standard stereo turning itself off sometimes?!

Started by ao30, March 28, 2013, 17:08

ao30

I have the usual Sony pre FL stereo (with the iPod cable  if that makes a difference) and after about 2-3 seconds of starting the car the power is cut to the stereo (the display goes off then returns after a second or so) and all is ok....until I turn the stereo on. Once it's playing the radio/iPod/CD etc, it loses power again usually after a few minutes or so. Press the button and it comes back on no prob and usually I have no issues until I next restart the car *repeats the process*. It's not a huge problem but a little annoying more than anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks

StuC

One of the members on here gave me a Sony iPod adaptor. This particular one is only suitable for Sony models after 2006.
When I plugged it in I had exactly the same problems you are describing. Power cutting out after a few seconds.
I think it is related to the connection of the adaptor. It uses the CD multichanger socket to switch the knout from the iPhone/iPod.
As soon as that was unplugged the connection into the HU all my issues were resolved.

You might need to do the same. It's not complicated to get to the stereo.
Can you tell from the adaptor what make it is?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

ao30

Quote from: "StuC"One of the members on here gave me a Sony iPod adaptor. This particular one is only suitable for Sony models after 2006.
When I plugged it in I had exactly the same problems you are describing. Power cutting out after a few seconds.
I think it is related to the connection of the adaptor. It uses the CD multichanger socket to switch the knout from the iPhone/iPod.
As soon as that was unplugged the connection into the HU all my issues were resolved.

You might need to do the same. It's not complicated to get to the stereo.
Can you tell from the adaptor what make it is?

Thing is I have had the car for a year, with the ipod thing fitted and it has only done the power cut thing for the last few months. I will have a look tomorrow to see the make if possible  s:) :) s:)  Thanks

StuC

Interested to know the make of the one you have, if you can identify it.

ao30

Quote from: "StuC"Interested to know the make of the one you have, if you can identify it.

will let you know asap  s:) :) s:)

ao30

Here it is. I can find no make etc on it,just the numbers you can see on the sticker 07-100. Thoughts? Thanks

StuC

What's underneath the foam?

Looks like the connector into the multichanger bit is not as it should be. Could just be a dodgy connection.

Looks much simpler than the sony one I have.

ao30

Quote from: "StuC"What's underneath the foam?

Looks like the connector into the multichanger bit is not as it should be. Could just be a dodgy connection.

Looks much simpler than the sony one I have.

The foam is stuck on very well, so can't see what's underneath. Nothing very think and substantial anyway. The connector is only pulled out due to me pulling it out by accident when unattaching the cable.

Tags: