Aerial Switch without too much hassle

Started by luggsonofmyll, September 24, 2013, 17:48

luggsonofmyll

Hi,
At Last I'm a 2 owner (July 26th) with a black 54 plate (+hard top) facelift model. I've have reading these superb columns on how to improve my driving experience, without spending too much of my hard earned.
Although it's an old post noticed sportscarjames was annoyed by the aerial shooting skywards every time you switch on regardless of whether you only have the CD on. However it all appeared a bit fiddly for me as I only know where the petrol goes - anything else, including plumbing,  is a black art to me.
However I put my cape on, read  several posts to get clued up manfully and set to work.  The general contention assumed that you would be a contortionist in order to snip the wires at the back of the stereo, let alone see what you are doing. Rather difficult for a blind couch potato.
Taking the unit out was a no-no as I would be probably running round with it on the passenger seat forever after. I guessed (yes a complete, but logical guess) that the aerial power lead must be routed under the drivers side scuff plate - and it was a black one. Thank you sportscarjames.
To do the job I popped the scuff plate and then unscrewed the nut to remove the front scuttle? cover to expose the wiring connectors located behind.
The aerial power lead is located on the bottom right white  connector and the lead in question is the thin black one on the bottom right hand corner. I know this after snipping the thick black one followed by the other thin black one. Had to be the last one of course, but I was guessing and the damage was easily rectified with a couple of Scotchlocks.
Push a thin flat screw driver into the right open side of the connector to release the catch and gently pull to release the connector to get at the wire more easily. Make the cut and wire in your switch. I used this one from Maplin £2.39p as suggested by another forum member.
 m http://www.maplin.co.uk/snap-in-miniatu ... tches-2363 m  
Location of the switch was taken from the excellent thread and my modification looks (thank the Lord) exactly like those pictures posted by uktotty. To assist in threading the wire up to the new hole (18mm) I pulled out the mirror adjustment switch to get a better view and it made things a lot easier, good view of those nice metal pedals too. Before snapping the aerial switch into position I tested that all was well and miracle of miracles it was! I then sat smugly behind the wheel annoying my wife by raising and lowering the radio aerial for the next ten minutes.
Actual job time 15 minutes, 25 including intensive testing period. No bad back and no swearing, but a sore head from a good slap.

Fred

Tags: