Aerial woes - solved!

Started by swampy_donkey, September 28, 2013, 20:10

swampy_donkey

Hi guys,

This problem will just not go away.  My aerial  will not go up an down. I have fitted an amplified windscreen aerial internally behind the glove box, gives half decent results for fm reception but still patchy.

I am loathed to fix the powered aerial because it looks like a  toy car with it raised. I will, however this as a last resort.

Before I do, what alternatives are there? I bought a bee sting aerial, but I'm advise it will be a pain in the bum to fit.

What solutions are there? What have you guys done?

Any ideas/suggestions/solutionsuch appreciated.

Cheers

Rob
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

Davred

I've stuck with the oem aerial by removing the toothed drive, then unplugged the lead into the relay behind the drivers bin to disconnect the motor.
This allows me to pull up the aerial manually, but not all the way, so it don't look daft!
Result is a good signal and a reasonable look with a shorter aerial.  s:D :D s:D
W. Red. Black leather. Facelift wheels.Toyo T1R. Pre-cats removed. Matts TTE style chassis brace. 2003 facelift front brace, FK lowering springs, Dev keyhole covers, tte rear grille. Tanabe G-Power Medalion exhaust, JSpec nose badge, mongo's, front strut brace. Matt perf engine rebuild May 2014.

trevsmr2

Toyota sell a fixed mast aerial to replace the electric one ,or fit a S2000 aerial instead

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-S2000-A ... 3f299ef104 m

tomaky

Well i use mine manually and i actually prefer it i dont need to put it fully up to get signal a foot of aerial is usually enough for me.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

swampy_donkey

Thanks for the help guys, any more details on the Toyota fixed mask? The s2000 one looks food though.

My present solution is using the bbc iplayer app through the stereo.
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

trevsmr2

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Thanks for the help guys, any more details on the Toyota fixed mask? The s2000 one looks food though.

let us know if you manage to get one

m http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota.com ... 6309-17100 m

part numbers for both

86300   ANTENNA ASSY, W/HOLDER
86309-17090   MOTOR ANTENNA   
86309-17100

frogger

I think you were on the right track with the powered internal aerial, just put it in the wrong place!

I have positioned one behind the rear view mirror (so stuck on the windscreen), and the reception is fantastic, even in areas which were patchy with the normal comical aerial!

swampy_donkey

Do you happen to have any pictures of that Frogger?

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "trevsmr2"
Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Thanks for the help guys, any more details on the Toyota fixed mask? The s2000 one looks food though.

part numbers for both

86309-17100

Do these part numbers look right?

86309‑17100

86309‑35100

86392‑17110

Thanks Trev! Am i guessing correctly the part(s) I need is/are 1, 2 and 3 on the diagram? I'm after the not motorised aerial. Cheers

trevsmr2

Yes the top picture is the motorised one ,bottom is manual
as in the link i posted

frogger

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Do you happen to have any pictures of that Frogger?

Normal view (what you see when driving):
Was tempted to blank off the LED, but didn't find it to be an issue in the end.

View from underneath angle (bars not visible from normal driving position):

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "frogger"

Does this give you a decent signal/reception then?

Has anyone tried this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOYOTA-RUBBER-VANDAL-MOUNT-AERIAL/dp/B008D0JAJQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3FNXYRMBZTKLT&coliid=I1Q1L7ULC5IC20? What do you guys think? Looks like it could be angled to suit the MR2.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"

Does this give you a decent signal/reception then?

Has anyone tried this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOYOTA-RUBBER-VANDAL-MOUNT-AERIAL/dp/B008D0JAJQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3FNXYRMBZTKLT&coliid=I1Q1L7ULC5IC20? What do you guys think? Looks like it could be angled to suit the MR2.

The problem with any aerial like those ,is that the hole in the wing is too large ,so you would need to use large washers, and you cannot get a good earth for the signal ,also due to the shape of the wing, a flat washer underneath just dents the wing when you tighten it

best bet is to remove the mast from the damaged aerial and replace it with the mast from a roof type aerial
or get the manual aerial that Toyota sells ,or fit a Honda S2000 aerial

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=41659&p=490780&hilit=alternative+aerial#p490780 l

frogger

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Does this give you a decent signal/reception then?

As per above - reception is fantastic, even in areas which were patchy with the normal comical aerial!  It is at least equivalent in reception to the standard aerial, and in some areas better.

penn

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Does this give you a decent signal/reception then?

As per above - reception is fantastic, even in areas which were patchy with the normal comical aerial!  It is at least equivalent in reception to the standard aerial, and in some areas better.

Any info on what part this is and how to fit it? What have you done with your old aerial hole?

swampy_donkey

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carpoint-201000 ... een+aerial m

I think they also have them at Halfords.

It requires one lead to an earth and one to a live source. The remaining lead is plugged into the stereo.

I left the original aerial in situ.

Hope this helps, Rob

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "trevsmr2"

part numbers for both

86309-17100

I managed to of this today! It took about 2 or 3 hours at a leisurely pace, no real problems apart from removing the old 'ornament' (the rubber bit on the outside). I'll post some pictures soon. If anyone else needs any advice then give me a shout.

Thanks

Rob

swampy_donkey

What do you guys think? This is a solid aluminium aerial, I'm ideally after a similar length flexible rubber one, any suggestions?

trevsmr2

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"

What do you guys think? This is a solid aluminium aerial, I'm ideally after a similar length flexible rubber one, any suggestions?

what are the fittings ?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT- ... 4179bf258a m

not sure if these are rubber ? look it

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-CITRO ... 5444362%26 m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Short-Stubby- ... 4abf4e3d27 m

swampy_donkey

They look like exactly the kinda thing I'm looking for. It's supposed to be 5mm I think. Thanks Trev.

On second thoughts, I could just go to a scrappers at the weekend! Doh' should have thought of that yesterday.

swampy_donkey

If anyone is interested the two part numbers you need are

86309-17100 and 86392-17110

They are for the internal replacement and the rubber 'ornament'.

Anonymous

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"If anyone is interested the two part numbers you need are

86309-17100 and 86392-17110

They are for the internal replacement and the rubber 'ornament'.

id like to do this on my car - did you go to CTP?

bluesmoke

Well pleased to find this! I'll have to get this myself once the other jobs are done.

Anonymous

Think I'll buy a base and find an aerial mast form eBay - factory one from CTP is £35! Toyota price lottery strikes again!

trevsmr2

Tags: