Facelift headlights on pre facelift MR2

Started by Andys-N20, October 20, 2013, 12:47

Andys-N20

Been trying to figure out the wiring for the pre-facelift MR2 full beam warning light.
It may be irrelevant to others as I have a facelift cluster.... However
On the back of the dash cluster, on the bigger of the white plugs there is on a facelift car the following:
 'red with green' wire – This is on the bottom row and is the 2nd pin in. This puts 12V onto the dash cluster when the lights come on. I note that the lights don't even have to be connected to get 12V here.
'Red with yellow' wire. Top row and is the 1st pin. This connects the cluster to negative when the main beam is switched on.
What I did to force the blue light is I cut the two wires off so they are completely independent of the original wiring and by shorting one to 12V and the other to negative the light will come on and stay on.
The pre facelift is slightly different in its wiring and is as follows:
'red with green' wire – Same place as F/L. This puts 12V onto the dash cluster when the lights come on. In this case at least one of the lights have to be plugged in to make this 12V.
'White with black' wire. Top row and is the 1st pin. This connects the cluster to negative all the time.
What I did to force the light is carefully remove the pin with the 'red with green' wire and tape it up. The inserted a new pin from where the 'red with green wire came from. Then I connected this new pin to the headlight plug full beam pin and the blue light comes on when the full beams are on.... But only when one of the headlights are connected. But if I short this new pin onto 12V it comes on, so all I need to find is something that becomes 12V when the beam is switched on. Possibly find some at the stalk as its close?
Combine this to some already tried and tested guides such as this  l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30838&p=376815&hilit=+Wiring l  
And I think I have a 100% fully functional facelift headlight circuit.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Tags: