Anyone got a dash cam/rear view mirror cam fitted?

Started by Suzz381, May 12, 2014, 22:15

loadswine

I will have mine at ding day as well and should have my laptop to show full res footage if anyone is interested. i should be easy to spot with my name badge and the car will be dead easy, parked by the bins with water as part of the registration.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Wabbitkilla

I bought a mobius but found it wouldn't talk to any of my PC's, none of them recognise the usb device.
I love their instructions "rebuild the PC", hey if it doesn't work on 2 W7 and 1 W8 machines, it ain't going to work on anything imho!

So I've returned it for a replacement, hopefully that one actually works.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jrichards20

I have a GoPro, its fiddly if you want to record for every journey, as you do want to take it out of the car when your not in there. But for quality, it is unbelievable!!!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

loadswine

A faulty one I guess Nic, never had an issue with mine on W7 machines, desktop or laptop. Presumably you downloaded the interface utility?
Mine is super easy to remove also. Probably not quite the image quality of a GoPro, but excellent considering the cost.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jrichards20"I have a GoPro, its fiddly if you want to record for every journey, as you do want to take it out of the car when your not in there. But for quality, it is unbelievable!!!
I know what you mean but there is a one touch operation setting in menu; basically power up and it starts recording

You wouldn't leave it on show in the car that's for sure.

Jrichards20

oh I didnt know about that! Thats the thing about the camera, its farr to advanced for anything I will ever do, so many things that can be done that I will never find out about  s:) :) s:)  

Dont suppose you know a good way to fully record an 8 hour drive? I dont want to time lapse, or loop to only keep 20minutes of recording. Just wondering whether there was a way to transfer a two hour file using the phone app to email so you didnt use up the memory?
Street Triple 765 RS

Anonymous

Not as far as I am aware. It will need a big memory card! (Setting dependant)

It splits the recordings into 2GB files which makes handling them a lot easier ... If that is of any help to you?

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "loadswine"A faulty one I guess Nic, never had an issue with mine on W7 machines, desktop or laptop. Presumably you downloaded the interface utility?
Mine is super easy to remove also. Probably not quite the image quality of a GoPro, but excellent considering the cost.

Yeah the setup utility is also bad as it's just an exe and relies on the camera already being recognised on usb.
If they just provided a driver I reckon it would solve things ... but it could just have been a duff one.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

If you have it with you tomorrow, we can try it on my laptop if you like.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Not as far as I am aware. It will need a big memory card! (Setting dependant)

It splits the recordings into 2GB files which makes handling them a lot easier ... If that is of any help to you?

How do I get it to do that? That will probably work.
Street Triple 765 RS

2 of the left

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I got myself a cheapo HD DVR (Portable) from that well known auction site (£26) Mains / Batt operable - It has a 32 Gb card fitted ( Bought separately) and has recycling recording inbuilt ( Day and Night operation!) It can be attached to windscreen behind rear view mirror
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jrichards20"
Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Not as far as I am aware. It will need a big memory card! (Setting dependant)

How do I get it to do that? That will probably work.

As far as I am aware it does it automatically, when you look at the files on the memory card they are split up so no single file is larger than 2GB.

Mollydog

for my other two cars I have the blackvue DR500GW for one and a no name Chinese in the other, the blackvue was around £270 and the no name one was about £40

the blackvue was rubbish and their after. sales customer care was non existent, and won't be recommending them to anyone, but thank goodness on one of the DVR forums I belong to a Russian guy did a software upgrade for the DR500GW that now is true 1080 HD, here is a clip I too in France last year

I have mine hot wired in to the car so no wires are seen and just about the bit leading to the DVR might be visible looking up from inside the car, but nothing leading to the cigarette lighter

m http://youtu.be/qszEn8X-WW0 m

if I was asked to recommend one now, I hear the mini 8081 for the price of around £55 has very good image quality 1080HD  and for around £15 you can have it with GPS too and it's no bigger than a box of matches, they are brining out the mini 8083 any time now that has a better chip inside for better night vision,

if you want to have/use something to record accident/other bad drivers in your car, I would suggest in getting a DVR camera as they are made for the job, wide angle view so you get to see both wings, start up switch off with your ignition (if you cigarette light works that way) and loops the recording so only the oldest recording gets wiped,and a32gig care should be good for around 7 to 8 hours recording, and they can also be set to record if they detect movement  when you leave it in a car park

shnazzle

I can't decide between the Mini 0803 and the Mobius!!
The 0803 looks brilliant, it's tiny, and has a screen which makes it very user-friendly really.

The mobius on the other hand seems to be a bit of a standard.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Reviving this as I've now gone through two. Mobius cameras.

When dead, one just blinked and never recorded and the latest one pretends to record and creates files but they're corrupted. Tried live feed, nothing. Tried as webcam with no sd card, nothing.

As much as the picture quality, size and inconspicuous nature was amazing on the mobius, I'm less tempted to buy another one.
Granted 60 quid every 2 years isn't horrible....

Any recommendations for new hot tech?
Surely the mobius must now be quite outdated and have lower quality images compared to what's out now.

Looking for discreet camera body and great quality video.
The former I can compromise on.
Not fussed about screen. Either is fine.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: