rattle or failure of left speaker

Started by Anonymous, September 29, 2004, 18:15

Anonymous

I know people slag off the stock radio, but its not bad for the time being.

The stereo is pretty good and can be turned up high, however with certain types of bass there is a rattle sound as if the speaker is rattling in the door or that the speaker itself is failing

Any ideas?

The car is new so i was wondering about getting it fixed however i am woried that when they pull off the door pannel i will end up with more rattles.

Anonymous

If you are careful and get the proper instructions (search the site for links, I managed to find them) the job of removing the door cards is pretty easy.  

To tell whether it is a rattle of blown speaker, turn up the stereo 'til you get a rattle and try to stop it by pressing btis of door trim down to stop them vibrating.  If you can't stop it the speaker's probabaly gone, but I reckon it's more likely a rattle.  

If it is a rattle you need to dynamat your door panels or, if you're a cheapskate like me, go to Wickes and buy a roll of 4" wide self-adhesive flashing tape.  Cover the lower half of the door panel in this stuff (inside!), making sure that it will still go back on.  Should stop most rattles.  

hth
Andy

Anonymous

as i was driving (dangerous i know) I jeard the rattle and gently pulled the door trim towards me.... rattle stopped.

It was the pice that covers the speaker and forms the door storage bay.

might get some padding to keep it tight

Tags: