Using The Passenger Window Disable Switch For Something Else

Started by GSB, October 22, 2004, 09:22

GSB

The passenger window disable switch fitted to the dash by the steering wheel... Anyone ever actually use it? No.

Anybody ever been caught out by it when they find the passenger window wont work? Oh Yes...

In short, its usless... No-one ever uses the bloody thing, so heres how to remove the window function from it so you can free the switch up to do something more useful...

Remove the switch by reaching up underneath the dash to the back of the switch. If you gently squeeze at the top and bottom the switch will slide forward and can then be pulled out of the dashboard. On the back of the switch is a plug, into which you 'll see 2 wires. Cut these wires about 2 inches back from the plug and join them together, ideally by soldering and heatshrink insulation, but a butt splice crimp connector and some insulating tape will do just as well...

The passenger window will now work without the switch in circuit, and the 2 wires you have left on the back of the switch can now be connected to something considerably more useful. The favorite being to put in the circuit from the headunit to the electric ariel so you can lower it when its not required. Other uses might be for control of additional lights, (such as neons if thats your thing  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ) or perhaps water injection / alternative fuelling map / boost setting selection for the turbo guys...

Yet another entirely useful five minute mod brought to you by GSB...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

roger

Excellent idea, but what are you doing with a "Passenger Widow"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Can somebody add a link or instructions as to which wire activates the aerial (assuming its not in the handbook!!!). A search shows Buster had ideas about 15 months ago, but unfortunately nothing came of it.

Thanks chaps.

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

I could never figure why they decided to add such a useless feature to a roadster. I asked when I picked it up when new and they said incase you want to stop a child openening their window  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I could never figure why they decided to add such a useless feature to a roadster. I asked when I picked it up when new and they said incase you want to stop a child openening their window  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?
But shouldn't a child be in the back seat? That's what it says on my visor.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
(do you have that same warning label, or this just a USA thing?)

Darth Paul

Just a USA thing.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Since this is a USA thing, a lot of you might not know what I'm talking about.
On both sun visors we have warning labels that say:

WARNING
DEATH or SERIOUS INJURY can occur
* Children 12 and under can be killed by the air bag
* The BACK SEAT is the SAFEST place for children

heathstimpson

Quote from: "FairportSpyder"Since this is a USA thing, a lot of you might not know what I'm talking about.

WARNING
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Must tell my kids and they won't be so keen to jump in  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "FairportSpyder"Since this is a USA thing, a lot of you might not know what I'm talking about.

WARNING

I've got one of those stickers and my car is UK. Or I certainly hope it is.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Any easy way I can tell?

Anonymous

Which side is your steering wheel on?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "fraz"I've got one of those stickers and my car is UK. Or I certainly hope it is.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I had that as well...I thought all EU cars had it, but I guess not  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

IIRC, the antenna wire is in the harness behind the stereo and is orange. All it would take is to run a small guage wire from there to the downstream side of the switch and a hot wire to the front side of the switch. Possibly even off the old window power circuit.

Anonymous

You can call me stupid but this is my funny experience.

One day I found out my passenger window didn't roll down, thought something got disconnected since I have a custom leather work.
After a couple weeks at a traffic light stop decided to look and found that blocking window option. Oops!!!!, my window worked again, I believe I pressed when cleaning.

Next new use will be a front fog light button

roger

You are NOT the first   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Fortunately I am not on the list   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Some have actually had their "dead" passenger window repaired under warranty  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"You are NOT the first   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Fortunately I am not on the list   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Add me to; you would think that the salesman would show you on delivery of the car  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

This might be an easy solution for me.. Im searching to get rid of the anoying antena when Im listening to CDs!!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ShIvER"This might be an easy solution for me.. I'm searching to get rid of the anoying antena when I'm listening to CDs!!
A mod I still having gor around to do  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Im gonna do mine now, I think Im gonna take the camera and make an article for spydermagazine  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I just did it.. I had no orange cable for the antena but I found out wich one it was from the stock radio bible on spydermagazine, the rest is a prety straigh forward job! just make sure you secure the cable tight around the cables that are allready behind the pedals so they don't ever get in the way of the acelerator  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mg

I would like to do this as well.  Any idea how to change the graphic on the switch?

Also, how does this operate?  If the antenna is up, does it lower it or does it just cut power to the antenna motor?  If it does not lower it, then I can see how you could leave your antenna up when you turn off...  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "ShIvER"I'm gonna do mine now, I think I'm gonna take the camera and make an article for spydermagazine  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

And whats wrong with the articles section of this fine institution?

Quote from: "mg"Also, how does this operate? If the antenna is up, does it lower it or does it just cut power to the antenna motor? If it does not lower it, then I can see how you could leave your antenna up when you turn off...

It cuts the signal to the antenna relay. You cant leave it in the up position
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

mg

Quote from: "GSB"It cuts the signal to the antenna relay. You cant leave it in the up position

So when modified (as above) it basically removes control of the antenna from the head unit and wires it to a switch?  Cool.

I wonder if Toyota make a switch that would fit with an antenna symbol on it.  I can't see how to easily change the graphic?

You all realise that once people start making this change, we are going to see posts every few months 'My antenna does not work!' instead of 'My passenger window does not work!' -lol!
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "ShIvER"I'm gonna do mine now, I think I'm gonna take the camera and make an article for spydermagazine  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

And whats wrong with the articles section of this fine institution?

Quote from: "mg"Also, how does this operate? If the antenna is up, does it lower it or does it just cut power to the antenna motor? If it does not lower it, then I can see how you could leave your antenna up when you turn off...

It cuts the signal to the antenna relay. You cant leave it in the up position
nothing wrong with this forum's articles section, I just didn't knew it has one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
but I didn't make an article anyway, this thing is too easy!

about changing the logo on the switch.. what for? I just erased the graphic, I have a black switch that noone can see, and that's a good thing! I don't want the antena of hell to be released by the wrong person!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mg

Quote from: "ShIvER"I just erased the graphic, I have a black switch that noone can see, and that's a good thing!

How did you 'erase' the graphic, sand it off?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mg"
Quote from: "ShIvER"I just erased the graphic, I have a black switch that noone can see, and that's a good thing!

How did you 'erase' the graphic, sand it off?

i used a rough ink eraser on mine, got a slightly polished finish, but it soon dulls down  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: