Dead Stereo

Started by Anonymous, December 9, 2004, 12:56

Anonymous

I need some help diagnosing a complete loss of power to my stock Sony headunit in my 2000/X MR2.

This morning I had to do an emergency stop due to an idiot driver not looking where they were going or stopping at a T-junction.  This caused hot coffee to spill all over the Sony head unit which immediately stopped working. It appears there is no power to the unit now (no clock displayed).

Is this likely to be a fuse or have I killed the headunit? Do you know which fuse to check and where it lives? Anything else I can look at?

The rest of the electrical systems seem to work OK.

Thanks for any help you can give me here.

Ork

crankshaft

Hi Ork;

Sorrie to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of coffee (or any other liquid) causing a fuse the short would be quite small.

s:( :( s:(
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Quote from: "crankshaft"Hi Ork;

Sorrie to be the bearer of bad news, but the chances of coffee (or any other liquid) causing a fuse the short would be quite small.

s:( :( s:(

Maybe, but its worth checking anyway... The radio fuses are in the fuse panle located in the passenger door shut, at the left end of the dash.

If you have no joy then I have an unused 2004 radio if you'r interested.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I got back into the car to head home at 7.00 p.m., miraculously the power was back. Unfortunately, none of the front panel controls worked - so I guess that's that.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   Oh well.

GSB. Could you PM me a ballpark figure you would accept for your spare head unit?

Cheers,
Ork

Anonymous

If you remove the faceplate and dry it, it may work again.

Anonymous

How right you are Beanie. Tis now fixed after drying out completely.

Thanks for all of your replies and thank you to GSB for PM'ing me details of your stereo unit for sale. I would seriously have considered it.

Christmas Cheers,
Ork

Anonymous

ypu'd be surpirsed how well electronics deal with liquid, although liquid with sugar, salt, fat and the like tend to wreck stuff.

Its possible to dip a TV into a bath of purified water, to wash it, dry it out and plug it in.

Anonymous

A thread on Spyderchat shows the PCB inside the faceplate.   A guy is thinking of using his front panel controls to control a computer.  Those buttons are like the ones in a telephone keypad.  Just the presence of liquid underneath the key will temporarily keep them from working.  Congrats on saving it.

Tags: