aftermarket steering wheel airbag resistor

Started by frootloops, March 8, 2016, 22:14

frootloops

So I've fitted an aftermarket steering wheel which mean no airbag, problem being that leaves the airbag light on. I bought a 3.6ohm resistor from ebay to get get rid of the light but it isn't working. i also tried an assortment of other resistors and have had no luck with it, can anybody explain what im doing wrong?

frootloops

can anybody tell me what resistance they've had success with. I just tried a 2.2ohm which was also unsuccessful.

vx220

l viewtopic.php?t=11303 l

Google is your friend (and me!)

Two guys had good results with 3.3ohms...

frootloops

Okay so I still haven't got to the bottom of why this isn't working for me, I've now tried a 2.2, 3.3, 1.8 and 2.7 with no luck which leaves me wondering if I am the problem and I'm doing something wrong or if there is a problem somewhere else.

Anybody got details on how to do this properly or why it isn't working for me??

Alex Knight

frootloops

What resistance is that and do you know what the second wire is for?

frootloops

I've plugged the original airbag back in now and the light remains so I know it cant be a fault with the resistors I'm using. Does anybody know how to reset the airbag ecu on a roadster?

martin_b

Not sure if this helps but I had my steering wheel removed for at least the last 18months and replaced the airbag with a 3.3 Ohm resistor. 90% of the time this is fine and the AB light will go out, but occasionally it won't, sometimes for several "cycles", then with no intervention on my part it will go back to its correct behaviour.  The only think i have noticed that if i turn the ignition on then immediately start the car its more likely to stay on then if I pauses a couple of seconds between key clicks. IYSWIM
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

frootloops

From what I understand, because I've been running the car with the airbag on the ecu thinks that an airbag's been deployed so the light won't go out without resetting the ecu now. I'll get it plugged in to a proper scanner as the handheld obd2 scanners wont clear airbag lights. After clearing the light I'm hoping my 3.3 ohm resistor will do the trick.

frootloops

Just got the light put out, 3.3ohm resistor fitted and no light has come back on so that's problem solved. For future reference, don't run a car with the light on because you will have to pay someone to put it out unlike engine codes which can be deleted with a cheap scanner.

Quote from: "martin_b"Not sure if this helps but I had my steering wheel removed for at least the last 18months and replaced the airbag with a 3.3 Ohm resistor. 90% of the time this is fine and the AB light will go out, but occasionally it won't, sometimes for several "cycles", then with no intervention on my part it will go back to its correct behaviour.  The only think i have noticed that if i turn the ignition on then immediately start the car its more likely to stay on then if I pauses a couple of seconds between key clicks. IYSWIM
That may be down to your resistor connection being loose?

Tags: