Rear Brake Light switch

Started by sussex, May 30, 2016, 08:03

sussex

Just noticed our Roadsters rear brake lights are working intermittently, sometimes i press the brake pedal and they all work and sometimes they don't, had a look in the footwell, which is a real awkward squeeze for my size, presuming it could be a dodgy brake light switch, but could not locate the switch, anyone got any pics of where the switch is, Thanks   s:) :) s:)

sussex

Just found my workshop manual cd, and have located the switch, will see if the lower dash trim can be removed for easier access,   s8) 8) s8)

sussex

Just found my workshop manual cd, and have located the switch, will see if the lower dash trim can be removed for easier access,   s8) 8) s8)

sussex

Brake light switch now changed, bit of a fiddly job for access, removed the 1 x pozi drive screw next to the obd socket, then the 1 x 10mm hex head screw (6mm thread) at the other end of the bottom edge of the dash facia left side of the steering wheel below the coin holder and flashing Led (alarm/immobiliser Led)  , the lower facia can then be carefully removed (pulled towards you), the obd cables and some thin wires are still attached but there is enough slack in the cables for the facia to hang near the floor, their is a small white clip that holds the obd socket wires, this clip is easily removed, so the facia hangs down, this now gives better access to the brake light switch which can be seen on top of the brake pedal mechanism,unplug the brake light switch by pressing the plug side and pulling the plug to release,  you will see a nut (14mm spanner hex (10mm thread) which locks the brake switch in place, access to the nut is tight and a standard 14mm open ended spanner will not fit onto the nut as the outside of the spanner jaw catches the pressed steel bracket which holds the brake switch, i got round this by grinding the outside edge top and bottom of the spanner jaw, the spanner will then fit on the brake switch nut, loosen the nut then unscrew the brake light switch, fit new switch in reverse, i screwed the new switch in until brake lights just came on permantly then turned a fraction until they went off, job done, bought the switch from eurocarparts, normally £14.50, this weekend they had 25% off everything so came out at £10.30, now works spot on.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: