Electrically dead MR2. My fault tbf.

Started by Slice, June 4, 2016, 14:11

Slice

Yeah, it's cold all over...

I started digging out the  sshit shit sshit ty wired fog light on my import mr2, with the intention of using uk market lights and a fog switch.

Whilst doing so, i reconnected the aftermarket 3pin switch to the cables to try and test the lights. I thought I'd connected it right, but seems not. I think I shorted the switched 12v to maybe the illuminated 12v...

There was a pop, and complete death.

Main fuse is ok, in fact all fuses in front and rear boxes look ok.

Can anyone suggest where else the issue might be?

Also, I used a multimeter to check the aftermarket switch continuity after, and it seemed odd. It wasn't obvious which two pins are switched. I assume I'm looking for something changing from infinite resistance, to fractions of an ohm? None seemed to do that. By then I was rushing and bloody annoyed though, so I'll try again later.

beavisrules

Both rear fuse boxes checked?

Slice

I think so, the big one beside the battery, and the little one against the bulkhead. That only had relays that I could see though.

Ah, there's one inside the dash too... It's on stands against the wall. Dammit.

Lank

disconnect the battery for half hour. Not sure on the MR2 but power supplies we have at work just need to be disconnected to reset

Slice

I found one stereo fuse blown, but still nothing.

I do have 12v to the ignition, horn and stereo, but nothing beyond.

I looked deeper and the switched 12v for the rear fog had been taken from the alarm... So, I'm thinking the alarm has been  sfuck fuck sfuck ed. It's now out, I need to resolder some wires yet.

Oddly, I also found that the other wire WAS a ground. So, all I did was ground out a switched live, not sure why it blew for that.

Hopefully all will soon be well, but strangely, I noticed the ignition barrel seems to have an induction ring for a factory immoobiliser. The key does not, so more fun might yet be had...

Slice

OK, wires repaired and we have a runner. Happy days.

There's no power at all to the instrumentation or the wipers however. I'm not overly concerned, as I expect that with the miniscule gap I had to reach into the dash fuse box I've probably mis-fitted some fuses, or not checked the right ones. Once the wheels are back from the painters I can at least drive it out of the garage and check it out before I rebuild the dash.

Tags: