experience with eBay el cheapo double din units?

Started by jvanzyl, June 16, 2016, 11:12

jvanzyl

Hey Guys,
following the change from my standard speakers to upgrades at Ding day - I now need more power for the speakers!

eBay has loads of double din head units in the £50-70 ish range... are they any good?

Has anyone had any experience with fitting and general usage?

Cheers!

John

The Other Stu

What's the gen with the speakers? I mean, how much power can they take?

I've just upgraded to one of the cheap chinese android-based units. After a false start (had to send one back), it's brilliant. A couple of flaws, but only 45w per channel so might not be enough for you?
I'm toying with a cheap amp so that I can put some decent speakers in, although I bought the car to listen to the engine, not the sound system.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

I'VE no idea what the power is for the speakers.. but they are some pretty sweet kevlar cone 2 way ones...  
The stock head is producing 35W and you get one's like this one which has 52W per channel:

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131828133518? ... EBIDX%3AIT m

The Other Stu

I'll be guessing they're at least 75 watts so you will need something a bit more powerful than that.
Perhaps there are some small amps floating about?

I certainly wouldn't buy from that place. Have a read of the questions. I'd be concerned that someone was posting personal information like your home address to everyone! They don't appear to work out how ebay works.

There's always a lot of ambiguity around RMS, peak watts and so forth. I can talk about electrics, electronics and radio waves (I understand the RMS sine wave thing) but it's bobbins because it doesn't mean what it should. But peak power is something entirely different too - it's like saying that your lights should be running at near 20 amps because there's a 20 amp fuse in (arguably, you should set the fuse at just above the usage, but not all car manufacturers do that, Toyota especially).

What you certainly don't want though is a radio which delivers too much power to the speakers as you'll simply blow them.

TL:DR? Probably a head unit that delivers 4 x 50w would be fine.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

Thanks man.

LOL - I didn't see that someone had literally used the question facility to put their address in!

OK so what I'm hearing is that it should in theory be ok to buy one from eBay?
It's not just the extra power I'm after, it's also the touch screen functionality so that I can put in a rear camera, and play stuff off of Aux in and SD cards...

I shall continue to have a hunt around and try find one that looks reasonable!

Anyone else got any thoughts on this stuff??

MR TWO

The possible problem could be that when you have the roof down you can't really see the screen clearly?

I will follow your thread, but so far I have only found good recommendations for Eonon / with Dab at £170+
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

Topdownman

I bought one from million with satnav,  it was £200.

It had a habit of freezing and then needing pressing the reset button to clear.

I replaced it with a pioneer single din one which doesnt really sound any better thsn the million one.

I do still have the million one at home if you are interested which you can have for £50.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

jvanzyl

Quote from: "MR TWO"The possible problem could be that when you have the roof down you can't really see the screen clearly?

ah.. hadn't thought of that! Will let you know what I end up with...

Quote from: "Topdownman"I bought one from million with satnav,  it was £200.

It had a habit of freezing and then needing pressing the reset button to clear.

I replaced it with a pioneer single din one which doesnt really sound any better thsn the million one.

I do still have the million one at home if you are interested which you can have for £50.

hmmm... thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass on spending £50 which I KNOW freezes!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

beavisrules

Personally cant see the radio while driving anyways as really cant looks away for more than a few seconds.
wouldn't buy/fit a touch screen for the mr2 , buttons rule!.
With buttons I can change channels and sources without looking.
also I find a volume control knob is a must.

Have had eonon stuff before and it's been badly made tat. That's maybe 6 years ago in the LS400 , maybe better QC nowadays.

Also it's in the wrong place for satnav/dvd anyway , so just spend 100 quid on some nice sony/pioneer unit.

Tags: