Missing Alarm

Started by ballyclover, July 12, 2016, 12:50

ballyclover

Hi Guys,

Bought a 2000 model, and noticed the Alarm siren was missing from the front bonnet, near the spare wheel. It obviously has one as some point due to the sticker on the window and the sensor light being installed where the coin store was. Is there an easy way to locate the alarm ECU, to see if that is still there, then its just a siren needed. Is it easy to locate it? Also should I be able to see an internal sensor?

Thank you in advance

stewart@boro

Moving the alarm siren is a common mod if it was a car belonging to a member at any time.....makes it louder as it is not muffled by the spare.
Have a good look in the front bay it may be still there.
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

ballyclover

no deff not there, the connector is there but no siren. Plus I cant set it off. I am assuming its been taken out at some point, but I just need to know if the wiring loom and sensors are in place. Sure the hood sensor is still there.

I understand the ECU should be behind the seats under the hood, is this correct.

Topdownman

The ecu should be behind the passenger side in the rear bin, I think you should be able to pull down the carpet to get to it.

One thing to bear in mind is that imports dont have the alarm but you would know  if you had an imported car I assume.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

carolineasb

Was just about to ask was it an import?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

cabbydave

easy if the car locks from the fob lock the car. Then wait a minute and open the car by turning the key in the door lock and open the door. If the indicators flash the ecu is in place.

cabbydave

easy if the car locks from the fob lock the car. Then wait a minute and open the car by turning the key in the door lock and open the door. If the indicators flash the ecu is in place.

ballyclover

Ok so here is the really odd thing.if i unlock the car with the key after locking with keyfob, the alarm light (where coin holder was) lights up and you can hear a loud ticking noise like the indicators, but they are not flashing.the sound seems to come from behind the seats but i cannot get access. Any ideas please

ballyclover

Update found the ecu and ticking i think is coming from that. There is a cable in the front under the spare with nothing attached. So i gather the siren is all that is missing. I can only assume it was removed because it was faulty or because the ecu was. Still doesnt explain lights not flashing though

ballyclover

have purchased the entire systems so if its just the siren sorted, or if its the ecu I can replace that

ballyclover

anyone any ideas as to why the indicators don't flash

ballyclover

so bought the new siren, plug it in, opened the car door with the key and set off the siren...however the siren wont turn off, which is why I assume it was disconnected. Any ideas anyone please?

tricky1138

Quote from: "ballyclover"so bought the new siren, plug it in, opened the car door with the key and set off the siren...however the siren wont turn off, which is why I assume it was disconnected. Any ideas anyone please?

Take it you tried pressing the remote? Maybe the remote you have is not coded to your alarm system?

You will need to re-program your remote to your ecu.

If you just use your key in the lock to enter the car with the alarm set then the alarm will go off, the key doesn't disable the alarm the remote does.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

ballyclover

Hi

I understand that, yes the key fob will open the door and will also disable the alarm, so I know its isn't that. I used the key to open the door lock to purposely set the alarm off to check the new siren. The keyfob buttons would not stop the alarm from sounding, even though they actually disabled the alarm system ( turned the little red light off on the coin collector was)

The Other Stu

Quote from: "ballyclover"Hi

I understand that, yes the key fob will open the door and will also disable the alarm, so I know its isn't that. I used the key to open the door lock to purposely set the alarm off to check the new siren. The keyfob buttons would not stop the alarm from sounding, even though they actually disabled the alarm system ( turned the little red light off on the coin collector was)
Isn't the red light the immobiliser? it's a different part of the system.

As someone said, you need to program the alarm to your keyfob.
No Longer Here

ballyclover

ok, so how do I manage that? As far as I am aware the fob are the orginal ones

tricky1138

Quote from: "ballyclover"ok, so how do I manage that? As far as I am aware the fob are the orginal ones

When you say fob? Do you have a separate remote to key?  Or is it intergrated with the key?

Quote from: "The Other Stu"

Isn't the red light the immobiliser? it's a different part of the system.

As someone said, you need to program the alarm to your keyfob.

The immobiliser light is on the heater panel just above the middle circle.

The alarm light is, as described, on a panel next to the coin slot.

Now  thats the strange one - if the fob turned the alarm light off then the siren should sound. I really dont know on that one - maybe change the ECU for the alarm but I'm sure that will need the re-programming done.

I'll try find the link for the re-programming.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

ballyclover

cheers, yes the alarm red light where the coin holder would be, deactivates when I push the unlock button on the key fob (not a separate fob)

Will try again with the siren and fob and if still nothing will swop over the ecu

carolineasb

The alarm and immobilizer lights on my 2001 pfl are in the middle of the heater dials and on a button underneath the window and door locking system on the right of the steering wheel. My 2006 fl has one of the lights next to the coin store. I don't think that the pfl even has a coin store but I may be wrong, I'd need to go out and have a look. When you say that the coin store has been removed to fit an alarm that appears to indicate that it did not have an alarm beforehand and that would possibly indicate that the car is an import as I think all UK cars had one. Which side are your indicators on? If the alarm is a retro fit you may well have a lot of problems from a diy fit.

carolineasb

Just been out to Oldie and she does not have a coin store.  There are 2 blanking plates to the left hand side of the steering wheel on the dash.

ballyclover

Sorry for the confusion. It does not have a coin slot...it has an alarm indictor red light where to the coin slot would be if an alarm was not installed. It has a factory fitted alarm system. It is not DIY..

tricky1138

Quote from: "ballyclover"Sorry for the confusion. It does not have a coin slot...it has an alarm indictor red light where to the coin slot would be if an alarm was not installed. It has a factory fitted alarm system. It is not DIY..

I'm sure it is the factory alarm. Sounds like the ECU is not talking to the siren / indicators so when you disable the alarm the light goes out but doenst tell the siren!

I'd try replacing the ECU and see what happens then.

ballyclover

HI

Just an update, bought a replacement alarm, fit the siren and replaced both boxes one of which is the ECU box and the smaller one I assume is a sensor box. Anyway, no different. The siren goes off for n reason, there are no flashing indicators, but they do flash when I lock it. Only thing not replaced is the wiring loom. Any ideas where to go from here. I know an alarm isn't the be all and end all but would be nice to restore to how it was

ballyclover

any ideas?

Tags: