Intermittent bass speakers

Started by M4rk2b, August 10, 2016, 12:40

M4rk2b

Hi all ! Please could anyone help with some pointers or ideas for my electrical fault.

My tweeter speakers always work perfectly however both bass speakers are intermittent (mostly totally off but sometimes properly on). There does not seem to be any particular time or reason to the bass speakers suddenly coming on. they never seem to work after jet-washing the car but that could just be coincidence. Sometimes they fire up as i'm driving and it scares the sh1t out of me if i have it cranked up trying to listen to the radio on tweeters only  s:) :) s:)

I believe from reading posts that the tweeters are wired in parallel to the bass on a short wire in each door panel. I've had the passenger door panel off checked for damp (all fine) and wiggled connectors but no luck - it's very odd. Thinking about it logically I think it's unlikely to be a HU fault.

Nostromo

Not sure if its the same on the mk3 but certainly on every mk2 that I've owned, I've ended up replacing the wiring between the head unit and door speakers as they get old then crack from where the door is being opened and closed. It does seem odd that it would be both speakers at fault. Is there an amplifier in line with these systems?

M4rk2b

I decided to test the existing speakers by unplugging it and temporarily wiring it to one of my home cinema speakers which worked fine.
Bizarrely the fault is with my original speakers both sides. I didn't think there were any parts in a speaker that would wear out but there you go.
I've removed them both and fitted a couple of edge 306 and some flashing and it all sounds ok now  s:) :) s:)

jinxedkitten

Mine does something similar, but I've never bothered going about fixing them as I tend to spend more time listening to my exhaust than any music. But then my whole head unit seems to be a bit dodgy on the wiring anyway...
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Tags: