Looking to fit a Sony WX-900BT

Started by normanh, September 11, 2016, 14:22

normanh

A well known shop has this on a good price but their support is a bit questionable as I have been told that Toyota never fitted Sony to the 2's as a factory fitted - mine has WX C570R which is factory fitted. Have sourced an adaptor CT20TY01 to hook up the unit to the car. The front measurements appear identical to the surround to hopefully that will fit. Anyone fitted a double din rail radio recently just in case they are any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

found this instruction for anyone else  m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAnN7CDIB7o m

Norman

beavisrules

A few of us have fitted Sony WX-GT90BT , which is almost identical.
As easy as any other radio swap.
It's a good time to do the Ariel/windows switch mod.

normanh

Not too sure what that mod is beavisrules. The unit did fit well but had a bit of a problem getting the lower module back as the lead to the cigarette lighter is pretty short. If fact the unit fitted well and I am in the process of modding the old cover to hid the radio.

Just one issue or major difference in that the aerial is automatically activated with the ignition and not like the old Sony which was triggered by RDS/TA if on. The new one puts the aerial up even with just a CD playing. Cant see any way in the unit to switch it off yet - RDS/TA is off and aerial stays up. Rarely use the radio so must just used to it, does the aerial window mod get around this?

Norman

beavisrules

Quote from: "normanh"Not too sure what that mod is beavisrules.
Just one issue or major difference in that the aerial is automatically activated with the ignition and not like the old Sony which was triggered by RDS/TA if on. The new one puts the aerial up even with just a CD playing. Cant see any way in the unit to switch it off yet - RDS/TA is off and aerial stays up. Rarely use the radio so must just used to it, does the aerial window mod get around this?

Norman

There is a switch that locks the passenger window other switch , pretty useless.
There is a (usually blue) wire from your radio that can be spliced onto this switch.

normanh

Ok Cheers, intend to put a small rocker switch in a blank rather than add it to the window lock, easy enouth, how sure are you on the blue?

Norman

normanh

Rocker switch mounted in blank - nice and central quick simple job, wiring attached not sure whether to wire it into the loom via butts or bullets at least with bullets I can easily remove and reconnect where as bit buts I have to cut them out and rejoin.

Norman

normanh

Just reviewing the wiring before I install the switch and it seems I have a double blue feeding into the larger of the two plugs that link to the car on differing pins. I was hoping to splice onto the adaptor loom rather than the radio loom but which of the blues is it bearing in mind they both link to differing pins?

Norman

tricky1138

Quote from: "normanh"Just reviewing the wiring before I install the switch and it seems I have a double blue feeding into the larger of the two plugs that link to the car on differing pins. I was hoping to splice onto the adaptor loom rather than the radio loom but which of the blues is it bearing in mind they both link to differing pins?

Norman

Get a picture up to confirm but there should be a thicker darker blue and a thinner lighter blue with a white? trace through? Its the darker one.

Also where did you get your adapter loom from, because I'm struggling to find one with the dark blue wire!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

normanh

Got two looms one from Halfords which is currently fitted to the car and another from Car Radio Direct which looks to match the original Sony loom which has two blues with a brown loop on the wires going to two separate pins on the larger of the white plug - on all looms I have the cable is the same size. The original Sony has bullet connectors in line. CT20TY01    m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20ty0 ... ls-1988-gt m

The wiring into the larger of the white plugs goes -

Orange, blue, blue, black, white/black trace, Grey/Black Trace
yellow', red, white, grey

orange - no description
blues both labelled power aerial
yellow - 12 volts
red - ignition switched 12 volts
black - earth
 5 wires look to be connections the remainder are speakers

Its not easy for me to post pictures at the moment never have done it before well not in several years. The blue is just blue not dark blue!

Norman

tricky1138

Quote from: "normanh"Got two looms one from Halfords which is currently fitted to the car and another from Car Radio Direct which looks to match the original Sony loom which has two blues with a brown loop on the wires going to two separate pins on the larger of the white plug - on all looms I have the cable is the same size. The original Sony has bullet connectors in line. CT20TY01    m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20ty0 ... ls-1988-gt m

The wiring into the larger of the white plugs goes -

Orange, blue, blue, black, white/black trace, Grey/Black Trace
yellow', red, white, grey

orange - no description
blues both labelled power aerial
yellow - 12 volts
red - ignition switched 12 volts
black - earth
 5 wires look to be connections the remainder are speakers

Its not easy for me to post pictures at the moment never have done it before well not in several years. The blue is just blue not dark blue!

Norman

Ah I get you now.  I was meaning in the harness the comes out of the back of the radio, rather than the one that goes from the car harness to the adaptor!

But it is the blue wire that goes from to the connector block with the red and yellow wires in and is the blue wire that is next to the red wire.

Hope that makes sense?

This is the bit I meant:
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

normanh

Thanks for the prompt reply tricky, I was hoping to use the adaptor I have to save time and prepare that to fit to the radio as its already in the car and looking like the bumper care when its on. I have one adaptor already fitted which is how I found the problem. Its much easier to prewire but with 2 blues in the adaptor do I link both through the switch or can I select just one safely in which case which one?

Norman

beavisrules

there's a diagram in this thread -  l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34988 l
follow your adaptor wires to whichever blue goes to a black on the original plugs (car side).

you could either find out if its the right one by cutting it and wiring the lead up to your switch , or just remove the pin from the plug and turn it on.

amz91

I'm looking at getting this stereo, I don't suppose anyone has a link to the correct wiring I need to buy?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

normanh

m http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20ty0 ... ls-1988-gt m  works but you will only use one of the plugs in the loom, the second is redundant in standard wiring but you will need a switch in the aerial feed as the aerial is always up, splice a switch into the blue, hey presto its that simple.

Norman

amz91

Quote from: "normanh"http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20ty01-harness-adapter-toyota-models-1988-gt works but you will only use one of the plugs in the loom, the second is redundant in standard wiring but you will need a switch in the aerial feed as the aerial is always up, splice a switch into the blue, hey presto its that simple.

Norman
Thank you  s:) :) s:)  

My Ariel is always up anyway after unplugging it haha

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

Tags: