Dashboard Illumination Lights not working

Started by Poidster, September 30, 2016, 20:05

Poidster

Hi,

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what might cause the lights to fail, all the dials actually work as well as all the warning lights etc, its just the illumination. I have checked the 7.5 Amp PANEL fuse, changed it, twice, but its not that. I should say I had been messing around with some blue LEDS in the cluster, work ok for the SMT indicator and odometer, wondering if Ive fried anything other than the fuse (which is OK) been driving round at night with effectively no dash display which I probably shouldn't.

TIA

StuC

Have you checked the connections in the beach of the cluster?
Have you also checked the illumination control dial?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Topdownman

The only thing that springs to mind is that leds need the right polarity, could they be in the wrong way round?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

StuC

Not all the lights though Simon.

Jock

Agree with StuC and the illumination control dial. Replace one led with a working bulb   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .

Topdownman

There is some info about leds here;

m http://www.mr2spyder.net/spyderweb/inde ... entry10603 m

Not sure if it will help but may stop you wanting leds!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Fin

I did the same to mine about 18 months ago. Ended up using an overlay. Be interested in any fix for this.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

Poidster

Ive replaced all the LEDS back to incandescent and still no joy. The SMT Indicator LED light ive left in and The odometer  they work fine now. The SMT light responds to the dimmer switch. I think ive loosened a cable in the connectors. Time for an auto electrics bloke now

StuC

Could be a loose connection either in the connectors or onto the pcb.
The auto electrician should find this quite quickly.

Tags: