Smart phone as a headunit

Started by justinread72, October 8, 2016, 09:05

justinread72

Hi

Need some advise please , I have been toying with the idea of removing my head unit adding a small amp and adding a smart phone to run it all, I am not a radio person and the car is weekend use only.

Does anyone have any idea of doing this type of mod , I have been offered a iPhone 4 cheap and it has got me thinking

Thanks.

MR TWO

Easier to plug the iphone into an aux socket?

I use an ipod4 for music, and it sounds fine through a cheap aftermarket Sony head unit. I have it mounted in a swivel suction cap which is glued into the car below the head unit so that its easier to see the screen in bright sunshine -though this is not generally a problem.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

justinread72

Quote from: "MR TWO"Easier to plug the iphone into an aux socket?

I use an ipod4 for music, and it sounds fine through a cheap aftermarket Sony head unit. I have it mounted in a swivel suction cap which is glued into the car below the head unit so that its easier to see the screen in bright sunshine -though this is not generally a problem.

Yes could plug into a aux socket but I want to clear the head unit for some space for boost and oil gauges ect

JoeCool

Plenty of amps now have the ability to take a line in from a.headphone jack. Should be just what you need.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

M.R.

I was considering either one of these before removing speakers and using headset or just phone speaker.

http://webshop.caliber.nl/products/search/k/%20%20CA75.2/
One has 3.5mm stereo jack and other works via bluetooth. Otherwise same amplifier.

shnazzle

I've got a little amplifier chip board that I bought off ebay.
It takes 12v and you hardware two speakers into it. Then you connect your phone via Bluetooth. The chip and all wiring for it could be hidden easily pretty much anywhere. It's about the size of a credit card. Thicker though
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

It's one like this; ebay item 331997109150
...neutiquam erro.

Ricardo

Played round using a motorbike amp off eBay. Comes with USB for charging and used phone jack for audio output from phone to the amp. Wired under the dash up to the dash storage area and connected to standard speakers. Less than a tenner for all the bits. Was decent enough for what I wanted. Its out of the car at the moment as it was a proof of concept at the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

swiftyds

I've also used a cheap Bluetooth speaker before - can work out more cost effective to get the Bluetooth/amp circuit even if you don't then use the speaker itself.

Inneraxe

There are a couple of ways to do this, JL Audio does an in line volume control with RCA in and out, so you could get a 3.5mm adaptor on the in to connect your phone or iPad and then the output goes to an after market amp which powers your speakers. The JL volume control is a decent bit of kit that does add interference or mess the sound up. Other way would be through an istream unit, this takes the full and better quality digital audio out of the iPhone, iPad, etc via USB from the lightening connector and converts it to analogue audio out on RCA connectors (phonos) you still need the JL Audio volume control if you wanted to make your life easier. You could of course just use the volume control on the iPhone, but you might get trouble from the police if they were to see you fiddling with your phone or iPad.
You can\'t always fix stupid, but you can usually shut it up with a 2x4.

Liberty mkiii

I had also thought of such a process for the sake of removing weight from the car in a racing application.  I figured I could pair up to a wireless bluetooth speaker via cell phone which is then easy to remove on track days.  There are plenty of options that produce great sound.

01' MR2 K20 swap, crazy mods to come

SombreroPeak

I've been thinking along similar lines albeit not for weight reduction. Came across this double din job and it looks neat as anything. I have a Sony Z2 as well, so hopefully all of the toys will work on it.

\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

Nostromo

Can you post the link for the phone docking station thingy? That's just what I'm after for my civic  s:) :) s:)

SombreroPeak

It's called the sony xsp-n1bt, came out in 2014 so if you shop around you should find it for less than the initial price of plus £200. I found mine on Schpock for £35!!! Arriving today so hopefully all good. Can't really go wrong at that price. A couple on eBay for under £100 too.
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

Tags: