Top brake light fault

Started by lron, November 18, 2016, 12:40

lron

Hi,

My top brake light isn't working at all. The bulbs look fine on inspection and I can't see any damage to the wiring, but none of them light up. As far as I can tell it should be on the same fuse as the main brake lights which work.

I've been fiddling around with a multimeter trying to figure out where the problem is but either I don't know what I'm doing or my multimeter isn't very good, as I can't get any useful information out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

gazza1286

If you are using a multi meter then I assume the you've been able to get access to the fitting.
With the bulb holder you have a live feed and earth. Bridging with the meter to Volts you should get a signal (obviously someone needs to be pressing the brake pedal). If not attach one probe to a good earthing point and look for a signal with a probe on one of the fitting terminals. If you don't get any reading then the live feed has failed. If you do get a signal then the fault is with an earth connection.

Tracing any breaks in the wiring could take a while as it's encased. If the fault isn't obvious then creating new feed and earth from the loom next to one of the rear light fittings may be the simplest solution.

Tags: