Sub woofer

Started by lamcote, January 20, 2017, 02:57

lamcote

Do any of the small underseat powered subwoofers fit under our seats? I don't see anyone recommending them and wondered why?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

vx220

Very unlikely, the smallest are about the size of a pack of printer paper if you want to try

The best option is under the dash, in the steering column area.

I had a Pioneer tswx120a tucked under there in my old MR2, along with amped components in the doors, and it was very good. I'm hoping to get two of the Kenwood Ksc-sw11 equivalents up there in my current roadster.

You can make a good difference to the standard system by sound-deadening the doors. This involves dampening the inside of the outer door skin to stop vibration and reduce some road noise, and the covering all the holes on the inner door skin to seal the backwave of the speaker, and prevent it causing cancellation.

In my old roadster, my Pioneer active subwoofer cost £100 (they've gone up a bit since then, but the Kenwood is about that still). I spent a total of £100 for my components and amp, and maybe another £80 on deadening, wiring etc. Made a huge difference.

My system in my current MR2 will be even better (once I get time...) will have two of the active subs, a four-channel amp running my kids and tweeters actively (so each speaker gets its own amp channel) and two miniDSPs (which will allow amazing EQ flexibility and time alignment). Basically, they will compensate for having 6 speakers, all at different angles and different distances to my head! Pretty much cacking myself about setting it up!!!

lamcote

Thanks for that informative reply.

vx220

If only I could motivate myself to get out and finish it!

vx220

The other option if you are going a bit further (adding an amp for your main speakers as well?) is the under dash boxes that markiii currently has for sale in the classifieds

These allow the use of a better quality driver than the active subwoofers, but it will work out more expensive (the recommended JL driver is £150, the box is £80 IIRC, and an amp will add £60+)

lamcote

That's too expensive for me. I might try to squeeze an active sub on the floor behind the driver's seat, leaning up against the bulkhead. Not sure I fancy having it above the pedals unless it was very secure.

shnazzle

Mine's been above the pedals for at least 2 years now. I did check the bolts last year and moved one of the securing points from one place to a much sturdier place. It's mounted straight onto the body on both sides. Ain't going nowhere.

I've tried behind the passenger seat. You'd be surprised how much it reduces space. At first you think it's not too bad, then you realise that if you recline the seat to a comfortable position, you need to be sitting about 3-4 inches further forward.
Also the sound isn't great there. i would't bother trying behind the driver's side unless you were short than about 5ft 9.

So that leaves under seat, or in cubby holes. Cubby holes lea to obvious lack of space. And I tried this as well and despite it being bass, it still sounds like it;s coming from behind you. Whereas under the steering wheel, it sounds like it;s everywhere as it should.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Oh, OK. What mounting points are there under the dashboard?

shnazzle

Can't remember the rear one, I'd have to look. But the one on the right is a screw that holds on this cube thin metal bracket for the wire harness. I unclipped the wire harness and zip--tied it to somewhere else (wasn't going anywhere anyway but just to be sure) and removed the cube.

At first I mounted it on that cube, which  was a bad idea. Ripped the metal clean off haha

I should have a pic. Let me find it.
This obviously only applies to the InPhase USW-10.
...neutiquam erro.

mulaz

Will have to check out your sub next weekend!
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

lamcote

Does the USW need a sub woofer cable with a single or double connector? I think my stereo will only have a single RCA output?

Thanks

shnazzle

I didn't remember so had to go spy  s:) :) s:)  
It is a double connector. Options are using a splitter to get a mono input, so 1 RCA out unit and 2 into sub. Or, tap into the speaker wiring using the connector provided. USW-10 supports either. The latter would probably be my choice unless I just wanted a "that'll do for now".
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Great thanks, any other tips? Eg where to take power/earth from and how you fastened it to the bulkhead etc

shnazzle

I took power straight from the battery. Easy enough to get through the rubber grommet for the ecu wiring. And the cable provided is of a decent calibre.
Ground.. Hmm.. Forgot where. I'll just have chosen a random unpainted piece of metal somewhere near the subwoofer
...neutiquam erro.

MR TWO

Installing a powered sub behind the passenger seat is the easy option. Its very safe as it cannot fly around in the event of an unforeseen driving error by me or someone else.

The sound from mine is fantastic; if it wasn't I would have changed its location.  I have a Focal unit,it cost me somewhere around 150 and I totally recommend it.

PS.
There could be a problem if you have a girlfriend who is 5.10+. However this problem will be small compared to the one when your wife finds out about her.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

lamcote

Well please stop mentioning her then....!

Hext007

Must admit the under the dash thing never sounds very appealing, as not sure what would happen to it if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in a front end smash. Are the sub boxes screwed together etc?

shnazzle

It's bolted down as much as most things in the car. It's fine.
If it's an issue, then it doesn't take much to strap it down to ridiculous measures.
...neutiquam erro.

Hext007

Not worried about it flying around, just the possible damage to lower legs in a smash, having seen some of the tests 5th gear have carried out, just extra stuff to smash your legs up. As with anything you make your own choice on what you feel is important.

shnazzle

Ah OK. Yes indeed. What I really want to do is make space behind the radio and mount it there.,facing the driver's feet.
Will take some manfangling
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Would it be possible to fit a piggyback fuse for the sub into the fuse which provides power to the head unit? I think this might be in the passenger side fuse box?

shnazzle

Can't say for sure. The power wire provided is a hell and of a lot thicker than the little wires in the wiring harness for the fuse box there.
Amps should be OK for a piggyback fuse
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: